Melbourne Football

Rd 01 City vs Brisbane (AAMI Fri 6/10, 7.50KO)

neio

I know it's only a half but we have never looked that solid defensively

One long range shot from calletti and one scuffed shot from skapetis is all they have had

Brattan, mauk and Malik have controlled the midfield well

Kamau was terrible but then scored so hopefully confidence lifts

Need to keep going and kill them off, and not leave it at 1-0

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, neio said:

I know it's only a half but we have never looked that solid defensively

One long range shot from calletti and one scuffed shot from skapetis is all they have had

Brattan, mauk and Malik have controlled the midfield well

Kamau was terrible but then scored so hopefully confidence lifts

Need to keep going and kill them off, and not leave it at 1-0

Only issue is that Mauk needs to stop following Ross in and stay at the top of the box as we have no one centrally. 

Defensively we look very solid so far.

Look good defensively but lack creativity going forward. McCormack looks good but lacks support, this will come when he's had more than 1 week with his teammates.

We're controlling possession but Roar are controlling space in our front third where we are offering little and lacking intensity

Kamau lacking in confidence despite his goal.

Brattan looks much sharper and less porky than last season. 

WTF is Jakobson doing at LB?

Edited by belaguttman

Outstanding performance, mainly because there is clearly a ton of improvement in this team. Budzinski, Kilkenny, Carrusca and Cahill playing zero-minimal part, just glimpses from McCormack.

I think the most promising thing was that basically all of our whipping boys (Kamau, Muscat, Malik, La Rocca, Brattan) played really well. Schenkenveld had a great league debut after a howler to cost us the first goal in the Cup Quarter Final. Jakobsen solid in an unfamiliar role, though he was found wanting a bit for speed at times.

And I'll always love the red and white stripes, but geez the new kits look classy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Gotta say, Malik was MOTM for me. Didn’t put a pass wrong all night and looked solid defensively. I’m not a fan of his usually but that was his best shift in a City shirt apart from maybe the FFA Cup final

Agree; had a great game and played his role excellently. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Gotta say, Malik was MOTM for me. Didn’t put a pass wrong all night and looked solid defensively. I’m not a fan of his usually but that was his best shift in a City shirt apart from maybe the FFA Cup final

It's amazing what he can do when he keeps it simple, he got the ball took a touch and played simple balls to the players who have the better passing range. Most definitely did his job 

It's good to start the season with a win. Disappointing that we sat back at the start of the second half, it allowed us into the game more as Roar didn't sit back as much and lost control of space but increased the risk to us. It was good to see our defence remain solid and most importantly we kept a clean sheet. With less space on the ball, Brattan was less influential in the second half, Kamau despite his 2 goals is too keen to run into a dead end or pass off the ball when he should attack. 

Iy was good to see us more patient with the ball, not just wasteful square passes but using the slow buildup to maintain shape so that when we made one of our still too regular turnovers, we weren't caught on the counter like we were last season. McCormack shows glimpses of being useful, didn't see enough of Marcin o form an opinion.

The only real reason you could argue that Malik wasnt motm tonight is that kamau scored twice.

Terrific performance by everyone, in particular the gaffer whom i thought absolutely nailed it tactically.

Everyone was good tonight, kudos on a pragmatic but effective approach.

• Like 3

For those praising Malik’s performance it was better than usual. But there is a clear reason many get frustrated with him. He can only pass backwards and sideways. For anyone who has ever played in a midfield alongside this kind of player it destroys a team’s momentum. He is a passenger most of the time we have the ball - not sure we can afford these against better organised teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

For those praising Malik’s performance it was better than usual. But there is a clear reason many get frustrated with him. He can only pass backwards and sideways. For anyone who has ever played in a midfield alongside this kind of player it destroys a team’s momentum. He is a passenger most of the time we have the ball - not sure we can afford these against better organised teams.

Are  you kidding? Osama was pinging them forward all night. Easily best performance I've seen of his in a city shirt. Absolute metronome in midfield. 

All in all solid and disciplined team effort. Not world beaters but 3 points and a clean sheet I'll take it 

• Like 5

Thought it was a mediocre performance against a crap team. Take the points and pull our finger out next week 

Slow ball movement and for fucks sake I thought the constant switching play in defence was done for when the tanned cunt left 

Jako good apart from the massive chance on the wing 2nd half 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I'd say Brattan edged him but that doesn't take anything away from Malik, he had a great game.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tangerine said:

A similar criticism was made of Makelele once. 

Fwiw don't take this as trying to defend Malik as he has been a rubbish player for us (couldn't watch game tonight so cant comment on his latest performance).

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Are  you kidding? Osama was pinging them forward all night. Easily best performance I've seen of his in a city shirt. Absolute metronome in midfield. 

All in all solid and disciplined team effort. Not world beaters but 3 points and a clean sheet I'll take it 

To me it seemed like while he wasn't firing lasers around the ground, he'd get an important touch in heavy traffic or under pressure to release a teammate in space time and again, If he can do that regularly, he'll deserve to be pushing for a starting spot.

Edited by SF33
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bt50 said:

FYI memberships are fully transferrable, provided they would otherwise be in the same category or lower. Ie adult for adult. Obv you can't get an adult in on a kids membership etc

5 kids? Man you could have done with more TV games a few years back!

The wife likes to get caught offside....hahahahah

6 hours ago, neio said:

My personal favorite WTF fixture this year is the Tuesday 10pm Vs Perth

I know it's 7pm there but surely some consideration needs to go to the team they playing and their fans watching 

Didn't know about that one - that takes the cake!!

• Like 1