Melbourne Football

Rd 01 City vs Brisbane (AAMI Fri 6/10, 7.50KO)

neio

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'll take a win and three points, but FMD that was an awful match to watch. I don't blame active for being quiet, whatever the reason. It took just 10 minutes for the bloke sitting next to me to suggest that we needed a counter on the big screen giving the number of City back passes. I certainly hope that we're going to be more creative up front as the season progresses.

Usual start of the season game, we'll probably have to wait until round 4-5 for teams to start to click and know where we are at, the pattern is the same every year.

Though it looks like we will be much more pragmatic, I'm not expecting any 5 goal thrillers this season, but Joyce could prove me wrong.

I'm just happy the season has finally started tbh and a win to boot.

Happy with the win,  we still have a bit to improve on but it's a good start nevertheless. 

Just 2 irks :

-I don't know why the club persists with goal songs.  Last night they were playing house of pain jump around and it just doesn't nothing for me.  Let the fans create the atmosphere after a goal is scores ffs. 

-So much fucking back passing last night.  Does Galekovic have to touch the ball every possession? Is that why we go back all the time.  Hopefully as the season goes on we'll move the ball a bit better going foward,  but their was just a lot of back passing that irked me during the game. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, jeffplz said:

Lol you guys exaggerating so hard, we were quite loud at times and quiet at times due to the flow of the game, normal shit. Plus new chants were being tried, some stuck others didn’t. Have a sook.

Not having a crack mate but there were times when active was a total shambles last night.

No need to have a tanty. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neio said:

Aloisi thinks roar clearly better side and had the better chances and that Brisbane were just stiff to concede just before half time and they deserved more out of game

Sorry what?

Yes, his team was as good as his Melbourne Heart team

They were as unlucky as his Melbourne Heart team

They were banging them in during training just like his Melbourne Heart team

All he needs is to recruit a midget striker...

7 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

nah I accept that 100%, doesn’t mean the world’s falling apart though, lol

Yeh man, totally agree. I don't think anyone was making out it was the end of the earth (well admittedly some of the comments I saw on the clubs Facebook page sounded as if they thought it was). Just some feedback is all. As I mentioned earlier, I know how difficult it can be getting people involved (even people who have specifically bought an active membership) but unfortunately that is part of the fine print when you sign up to run the terrace

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's been a steady decline since round 3 last year. Restrictions, leadership shuffling and a lack of continuity have been the biggest contributors. 

TBH people will always whinge, just enjoy yourselves and the game. It isn't an easy job but once the new guys get some momentum I'm sure it'll get better. 

agree with all this

Edited by jeffplz

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Yes, his team was as good as his Melbourne Heart team

They were as unlucky as his Melbourne Heart team

They were banging them in during training just like his Melbourne Heart team

All he needs is to recruit a midget striker...

Dear Mr Aloisi,

Calling you a complete wombat would be an insult to wombats.  For the record, we were also missing:

1. The league's best striker, and the 15-16 golden boot winner;

2.  The country's most celebrated international striker;

3. Our fans player of the season last season, and a first pick defensive midfielder;

4. One the league's most creative and effective wingers.

We're not whinging about this, but just pointing out the facts.  We outplayed you and our tactics were more effective.  So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  2-0 to us, and we've got Bruce Kamau.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Solid defensive performance, if uninspiring. But very happy with the 3 points, especially to stick it up Aloisi.

Some random thoughts

• My initial impression was that, without Fornaroli there seemed to be no enthusiasm on the pitch, just going through the motions... reminded me of the Socceroos, slow ball movement and no ability to get past people. But got better. Just wonder how bad Brisbane are, they looked like they could play for 3 weeks without scoring. Hopefully that's our good defensive set up rather than their lack of quality.  
  • Eugene's distribution is nearly worse then Boutsianis' but I liked his calmness and organisation at the back. Glad he has relegated Boutsa to the bench. 
  • Mauk's workrate is admirable but as a Number 10 has no creativity. Is a harder working Caceres with less skill and I wasn't Caceres' biggest fan. Hopefully Budzy fills that role from now on.  
  • McCormack will be good, made a lot of good runs that others weren't clever enough to see. Has to lose a few pies but should get better as he gets to know the players. Will be interested to see how him and Cahill can work together. McCormack seemed to be more effective late in the game when he got tired and started coming deeper, playing almost as a number 10. Perhaps Cahil can play high with Macca just in behind. Although having said that, based on one game, seems to be a "run away from the ball asking for it over the top" kind of number 9 rather than a target man.
  • Jacobsen at LB? Actually he was okay but not sure I'd like to have him there regularly. Will get done for pace a bit too often I reckon. But much better than anyone we had there last season. Schenkeveld looked to me to be more of a RB than CB in playing style so hopefully will go there when Jamo starts and Jaco comes to CB. Although Muscat wasn't too bad, just don't trust him and Schenk looks classy.
  • I like it when Malik plays it simple in defensive midfield. Did that last night and looked good. If only he would keep doing that, which he never does. Brattan is also much better playing deeper. He was great there for Brisbane in their Championship years as a young kid and looked like that again last night. Forget about playing him higher.    

But I am quietly optimistic as we could field a quality side with players that were missing or started on the bench. 

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's been a steady decline since round 3 last year. Restrictions, leadership shuffling and a lack of continuity have been the biggest contributors. 

TBH people will always whinge, just enjoy yourselves and the game. It isn't an easy job but once the new guys get some momentum I'm sure it'll get better. 

What sort of restrictions were put in place?

Edited by Forever City

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Dear Mr Aloisi,

Calling you a complete wombat would be an insult to wombats.  For the record, we were also missing:

1. The league's best striker, and the 15-16 golden boot winner;

2.  The country's most celebrated international striker;

3. Our fans player of the season last season, and a first pick defensive midfielder;

4. One the league's most creative and effective wingers.

We're not whinging about this, but just pointing out the facts.  We outplayed you and our tactics were more effective.  So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.  2-0 to us, and we've got Bruce Kamau.

But but but our French guy isn't here yet 

That was only mentioned on the telecast 480 times, like it hasn't happened to anyone else 

21 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I was actually happy with that crowd figure. We arnt that far away of cracking the 10

One thing I noticed last season and it was very obvious on Friday is how corporate support for the L2 Western Wing corporate "boxes" has declined.

11 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

I was happy with the attendance, yet on Saturday ABC TV news they were calling it one of the lowest crowds for a season opener.

Probably for the A-League as a whole? For us, if we exclude David Villa's first home match, it was our third-highest ever, the highest being our inaugural match vs Central Coast, followed by vs. Wellington 14/10/2012.

There are many variables, including the day and KO time, weather, who the opponent is and whether the club has signed a "star player."

IMO it's going to take a long time - and may never happen - for City to be a media favourite, because of the "moneybags" tag and Australia's well-known tall poppy syndrome.

Edited by jw1739
Correction
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One thing I noticed last season and it was very obvious on Friday is how corporate support for the L2 Western Wing corporate "boxes" has declined.

Saw my first Heart game in S1 from a box on the west side(the beginning of the 'joyride' for me). Back in those days his was leased through the Storm, but the owner had access to all events, including concerts.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Probably for the A-League as a whole? For us, if we exclude David Villa's first home match, it was our third-highest ever, the highest being our inaugural match vs Central Coast, followed by vs. Wellington 14/10/2012.

There are many variables, including the day and KO time, weather, who the opponent is and whether the club has signed a "star player."

IMO it's going to take a long time - and may never happen - for City to be a media favourite, because of the "moneybags" tag and Australia's well-known tall poppy syndrome.

Oh we will never be a media favourite. Yes because of the money, but because of who the owners are mainly IMO. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

I was happy with the attendance, yet on Saturday ABC TV news they were calling it one of the lowest crowds for a season opener.

It was the lowest attended season opener ever in the A-league. You can flick through the years here starting at 2005

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/fixtures.php?season=2005-06

42 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

It was the lowest attended season opener ever in the A-league. You can flick through the years here starting at 2005

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/fixtures.php?season=2005-06

You sure? In 2012/13 over 42,000 saw Heart beat Victory 2-1 to open the season.

In any case, IMO this statistic is meaningless because so much depends on what the season opening match actually is.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

In any case, IMO this statistic is meaningless because so much depends on what the season opening match actually is.

Yes, this statistic, re match attendance at the first game of the season, is a talking point only and nothing much can be read into it. It depends on many factors but the ABC TV decided to find a negative angle on the game.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

What concerns me more is that any casual viewer who watched that won't feel inspired to come to a game

Tbf every game this round was pretty terrible, Jets v CCM probably the most entertaining.

After seeing all the teams, I reckon we look like one of the better sides, but like I said it's to early to judge. Last year after beating the tards 5-0 or whatever it was, I thought we would be top three but other teams improved.

3 minutes ago, moops said:

Tbf every game this round was pretty terrible, Jets v CCM probably the most entertaining.

After seeing all the teams, I reckon we look like one of the better sides, but like I said it's to early to judge. Last year after beating the tards 5-0 or whatever it was, I thought we would be top three but other teams improved.

So much this.

I'm reserving my judgment on Wazza and the team until after we play Wanderers round 6. But after the first round I didn't see anything to really worry about. It's all about how the teams develop and evolve throughout the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

And im sure in past years the build up and advertising was alot more. This year has been woeful! If i didnt have Foxtel i wouldnt even know it was on.

10 minutes ago, n i k o said:

What our game? Imagine if we lost then 

You've forgotten that there's no middle ground on this Forum. We got the three points, so any actual negative realities - such as Kamau being unable to reliably put one foot in front of the other for the first 44 minutes - are forgotten, and all is well with the world. If we had lost, the Forum would be in meltdown, calling for the sacking of everyone from Munn downwards.

One media outlet described the match as "dour", another that our win was "professional." Those are euphemisms for "shithouse entertainment."

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

One media outlet described the match as "dour", another that our win was "professional." Those are euphemisms for "shithouse entertainment."

Exactly.Somehow we need to win and be entertaining, not one or the other or neither. There's a reason why out attendances are stuck at 8-10k

Edited by belaguttman

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You've forgotten that there's no middle ground on this Forum. We got the three points, so any actual negative realities - such as Kamau being unable to reliably put one foot in front of the other for the first 44 minutes - are forgotten, and all is well with the world. If we had lost, the Forum would be in meltdown, calling for the sacking of everyone from Munn downwards.

Is this @jw1739 or a reptile that has taken over

Let’s be honest, we have had a side that has played some of the most exciting football over the last couple of years but couldn’t quite get consistent success on the scoreboard. 

Lets put something into perspective though, looking at WSW in the first couple of years was like watching paint dry, but they got success and built a supporter base quickly. It’s not all about exciting football to some. Fans want success and will invest in a winner, but that has certainly not been our club over its time in the league.

To continue to play exciting, attacking football creates major risks at the back, which has been our Achilles heel. Making sure we improve defensively is key to giving ourselves a stronger chance at winning the league, so it will be interesting to watch.

• Like 1

You could fairly say this game was dour. I'd take the perspective though that it was round 1, and 8 teams looked rusty to me. Rather strangely, only WSW and probably Newcastle (against the weak CCM) looked entertaining and not rusty to me.

If Melbourne City looks like this in week 4 or 5, then things are concerning IMO, and then there's an issue with the football approach or style.

So all in all, we got a 2-0 win with a good defensive showing in round 1. I imagine teams and individuals league-wide will look rather different in coming weeks.

40 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I’d rather watch “dour” defensive football that sees us win games than “beautiful” football that sees us lose. I bet if you asked Sydney FC fans their opinion on this they’d say the exact same thing.

If we win we win, If we lose we lose

55 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I’d rather watch “dour” defensive football that sees us win games than “beautiful” football that sees us lose. I bet if you asked Sydney FC fans their opinion on this they’d say the exact same thing.

Exactly.

Everyone was complaining about our defensive frailties when we played 'beautiful' football and now we're concerned about pragmatic and defensive football being dour? If being 'boring' stops us conceding stupid goals on the break and actually gives us a solid platform to compete from I'll take it any day. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, haz said:

I think once we have the South American salsa back together up the front, we will have "beautiful" attacking football with the flair they bring, but "dour" and structured defense at the back.

That's probably best case scenario. I think ultimately you need a combination of the 2.