Melbourne Football

Rd 01 City vs Brisbane (AAMI Fri 6/10, 7.50KO)

neio

A tactical defensive master class.

We never let them have freedom in their final third and we were dominant in the mid field.

A perfect foundation to build upon. 

Kamau is shit, but if he is shit at everything else and scores 2 goals then he deserves credit especially when he is executing Wazza's plan perfectly by cutting into the box aggressively.

Ross is class and created forward momentum.

All in all a very well organised and solid performance.

Credit to Wazza's leadership.

MOTM La Rocca, Bart or Malik with a special mention to Muscat, Brattan,  and Jacobsen 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

A tactical defensive master class.

We never let them have freedom in their final third and we were dominant in the mid field.

A perfect foundation to build upon. 

Kamau is shit, but if he is shit at everything else and scores 2 goals then he deserves credit especially when he is executing Wazza's plan perfectly by cutting into the box aggressively.

Ross is class and created forward momentum.

All in all a very well organised and solid performance.

Credit to Wazza's leadership.

MOTM La Rocca, Bart or Malik with a special mention to Muscat, Brattan,  and Jacobsen 

Ross looks like he's made one too many trips to Nando's, wouldn't say masterclass but on point and finally kamau isn't shit just average. 

Other wise agree with your summary. 

I was thinking of posting my opinion of tonight but every time the basic fact that Brisbane were utter trash kept coming back.

They were woeful and judgment on us should be made with that in mind. It was an awful game to watch. 

Defensively we were superb and as a foundation that is a relief but if we are going to win matches we need to improve creatively. 

I'll enjoy the win and go into the Derby quietly confident. 

• Like 4

Really unsure what to make of that game. My instinct is that there's probably a lot of work to do. That good sides will eat us alive and won't let us get away with being so toothless in attack. No one really stood out for me, pretty average effort across the board.

But OTOH, we may have just played out Joyce's plan perfectly and every week we'll be able to be this solid defensively and just pinch a goal or two going forward. We also have a few players to come into the side so there's improvement to come there.

It's hard to say one game into season. I think my concerns outweigh the positives for me. I'm not expecting us to get anything out of the derby.

But three points on the board I suppose. Onwards and upwards.

City won Friday night's season opening game at AAMI Park 2-0 against Brisbane Roar, and looked a far better side than the one that fell to Sydney FC in the FFA Cup.

A slimmed-down Luke Brattan was a walking testament to the new coach's tough preseason regime and focus on discipline.

City v Roar player ratings

Consistency is the Joyce shtick

Bruce braces for huge season

Brattan told Fox Sports: "We’ve worked all pre-season about being solid defensively because last season, we copped soft goals.

“It’s a different squad to last year so we’ve had to change a lot.”

Brattan put the performance down to Joyce’s coaching.

“He’s a brilliant motivator,” he said. “He’s been on my back since day one. I’ve got to get fitter, but it’s a long pre season and we’re very fit.”

Nick Fitzgerald was everywhere throughout the match and was just shaded for best on pitch by double-goal scorer Bruce Kamau.

An exhausted Fitzgerald said afterwards: “The result today was great.  I like the midfield, they got the ball out wide and let me and Bruce do our thing

“I think our work ethic this season has been top notch. We’ve come in on days off and done extra running because it’s all about working hard for each other.

“We wanted to hit the ground running which we did. On day’s when we could have been sitting at home doing nothing, we’ve come in to work hard as a team.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

City won Friday night's season opening game at AAMI Park 2-0 against Brisbane Roar, and looked a far better side than the one that fell to Sydney FC in the FFA Cup.

A slimmed-down Luke Brattan was a walking testament to the new coach's tough preseason regime and focus on discipline.

City v Roar player ratings

Consistency is the Joyce shtick

Bruce braces for huge season

Brattan told Fox Sports: "We’ve worked all pre-season about being solid defensively because last season, we copped soft goals.

“It’s a different squad to last year so we’ve had to change a lot.”

Brattan put the performance down to Joyce’s coaching.

“He’s a brilliant motivator,” he said. “He’s been on my back since day one. I’ve got to get fitter, but it’s a long pre season and we’re very fit.”

Nick Fitzgerald was everywhere throughout the match and was just shaded for best on pitch by double-goal scorer Bruce Kamau.

An exhausted Fitzgerald said afterwards: “The result today was great.  I like the midfield, they got the ball out wide and let me and Bruce do our thing

“I think our work ethic this season has been top notch. We’ve come in on days off and done extra running because it’s all about working hard for each other.

“We wanted to hit the ground running which we did. On day’s when we could have been sitting at home doing nothing, we’ve come in to work hard as a team.”

That's good to hear and read. Pleasing really. Never would have had that with previous managers. Joyce seems a hard nut which is welcome

I am currently in Tokyo, pissed as I can be and still be able to type after six hours on the Japanese turps. Come back to the hotel and find that the boys won! Long prer-seasnms tend to make us scared of shadoiws and I don't really care oif Kamau has had a crap game but he still scored a brace. I will take that any time. I don't care if Brattan has joined Jenny Craig, it looks like he played his role as did everunboen else. A great way to end the night.

4 hours ago, Baka1 said:

That's good to hear and read. Pleasing really. Never would have had that with previous managers. Joyce seems a hard nut which is welcome

I don't want to be that guy, but it makes me wonder why Brattan needed Joyce to understand that he needed to trim down and get fitter, or even for Fitzgerald to understand that getting extra runs and fitness work in on 'off days' would be beneficial.

No sense in dwelling on the past too much, but...I mean, how many times did we score first last year and fail to go on and win? Nobody at the club managed to pinpoint a lack of fitness as an issue and work to rectify it with all the world class training facilities? I'd love to read a behind the scenes book about this club over its firet ten years. I imagine some of the stuff would be mind boggling.

Speaking of Joyce, certainly no issue between him and Valkanis, if the prematch footage was any indication. They were chuckling and back slapping like BFFs. Either they're the greatest actors in the world, or they're on the same page.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I am currently in Tokyo, pissed as I can be and still be able to type after six hours on the Japanese turps. Come back to the hotel and find that the boys won! Long prer-seasnms tend to make us scared of shadoiws and I don't really care oif Kamau has had a crap game but he still scored a brace. I will take that any time. I don't care if Brattan has joined Jenny Craig, it looks like he played his role as did everunboen else. A great way to end the night.

Its amazing that you said you've out on the turps, i can barely tell. 🤣 

Its pretty cool some of the places the boys go on this forum.

4 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Active in both halves was so, so bad.

I have to agree with @hakz7 here. I rarely say anything negative about active because I know it's a tough job, a lot of people in the active bays don't get involved, etc but last night was nowhere near good enough. Capo incoherently blathering into the mega all night, drumming was out of sync, chant selection was all over the shop. I won't go on about it too much but a lot of improvement needed

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

I have to agree with @hakz7 here. I rarely say anything negative about active because I know it's a tough job, a lot of people in the active bays don't get involved, etc but last night was nowhere near good enough. Capo incoherently blathering into the mega all night, drumming was out of sync, chant selection was all over the shop. I won't go on about it too much but a lot of improvement needed

I sit behind active area and couldn't work out some of the chants as the capo screamed so much it distorted the output. And why chant something where only 3 people know of that chant?

Active started off well but by gee did it drop off, especially in the second half. 

Good result on the pitch nonetheless, the defence seems to be very, very solid and if Cahill, McCormack, etc can find the net regularly, we could be in for a good season.

Really happy that Kamau scored twice as well, hopefully it'll be a common theme this season. 

Edited by RedAndWhitePride

People have been critical because Roar didn't look that good, and reckon we should have looked better as a result.  But look at it this way, Roar were only as good as we allowed them to be, and we set out to nullify them.  I suspect that under Wazza we are going to be much more defensive and pragmatic.  We'll set out not to concede first and foremost, and then take our chances when we get them.

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Still have Bruno, Tip Rat, Kilkenny and Cahill to come back

Budzik has barely started either.  And meanwhile McCormack will get better as he builds understanding.  Depth too, there are players we rate, such as Arzani, who didn't even make the bench last night.

37 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

People have been critical because Roar didn't look that good, and reckon we should have looked better as a result.  But look at it this way, Roar were only as good as we allowed them to be, and we set out to nullify them.  I suspect that under Wazza we are going to be much more defensive and pragmatic.  We'll set out not to concede first and foremost, and then take our chances when we get them.

Budzik has barely started either.  And meanwhile McCormack will get better as he builds understanding.  Depth too, there are players we rate, such as Arzani, who didn't even make the bench last night.

TBH if azarni couldnt get a gig last night he will struggle unless we get injuries 

from last nights team Cahill and Killa have to return 

which will leave Crowley and ?carusca? Out 

Edited by Missing_Moy

I'll take a win and three points, but FMD that was an awful match to watch. I don't blame active for being quiet, whatever the reason. It took just 10 minutes for the bloke sitting next to me to suggest that we needed a counter on the big screen giving the number of City back passes. I certainly hope that we're going to be more creative up front as the season progresses.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

It sounds like active support also need a pre-season

Oh loved the team list fail last night pre-game. If we are going to use Roman numerals to write "11" can someone tell the person in charge that the order of the letters is actually considered important?

For a second I thought Wazza figured 9 players was enough against these clowns.

Oh loved the team list fail last night pre-game. If we are going to use Roman numerals to write "11" can someone tell the person in charge that the order of the letters is actually considered important?

Just now, jeffplz said:

Lol you guys exaggerating so hard, we were quite loud at times and quiet at times due to the flow of the game, normal shit. Plus new chants were being tried, some stuck others didn’t. Have a sook.

Don't take it too hard, take the feedback and move on and make it better. And tell the capo to get off the mic cause that was unbearable. Just constructive feedback brother. 

1 minute ago, neio said:

Aloisi thinks roar clearly better side and had the better chances and that Brisbane were just stiff to concede just before half time and they deserved more out of game

Sorry what?

Ha ha. Heard the interview too. The guy is a knob. Don't even try to make sense of it.

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I just wish we'd abandon most of the crap coming from that "announcer" - clearly no-one has taken notice of what was posted on City Voice Mark1 - volume does not equal quality. There have been that many "fails" that I'm astonished that we persist with the same old rubbish. Most of what he says is unintelligble to me.
Just put the team list up on the screen and go through the list one by one. What we do at the moment is quite frankly embarrassing.

• Like 2