Melbourne Football

Rd 01 City vs Brisbane (AAMI Fri 6/10, 7.50KO)

neio

Melbourne City defender Michael Jakobsen says playing a back four will help club’s A-League title push

MATT WINDLEY, Herald Sun
October 3, 2017 3:48am

MICHAEL Jakobsen says a more pragmatic approach to defence may cost Melbourne City some goals this season.

But the central defender is adamant City will be far more capable of challenging for a maiden A-League title if it can cure the defensive ills that saw it concede 44 goals in each of the past two seasons.

And after flirting with a back three at times last season, City is set to launch into Friday night’s season opener against Brisbane at AAMI Park with a back four that Jakobsen hopes remains for the entire campaign.

“I think that suits us better,” Jakobsen said.“We have to be prepared to adapt, but (the back three) is something that you need to practice a lot to get it right every time.

“That’s why I’m saying I’d rather stick to a back four all of the time because everybody here knows how to do that.

“If you change things up too often it becomes a bit blurry.”

Scoring goals hasn’t been an issue for City in the past couple of years.

But Jakobsen said the days of needing to score four goals to negate the fact it had conceded three has to stop. And he said new recruits such as fullback Scott Jamieson, versatile Dutchman Bart Schenkeveld and former Adelaide and Western Sydney utility Iacopo La Rocca will be a huge help.

“I think in the back four last year we were lacking people who wanted to take leadership, to be verbal and coach the teammates in front of you or next to you,” Jakobsen said.

“This year I think we’ll be better with that and hopefully that will make us not concede as many goals.

“It’s not going to be conceding two or three goals every second game, it has to be more consistent.

“It might cost some goals at the other end, but if you don’t concede then it’s quite easy to win a match.”

Jakobsen revealed defence had been a major focus of new coach Warren Joyce this pre-season, a manager the Danish international said he had taken a liking to.

“I have a very good feeling about him,” he said.

“He’s very energetic, verbal, both at training and in games. He’s very open minded and you can come at him with whatever.

“He’s straightforward and I like that.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-defender-michael-jakobsen-says-playing-a-back-four-will-help-clubs-aleague-title-push/news-story/d0d2bf37bd08ca9dc3bb0a7734edfcac

Edited by haz

With news of that leadership group and considering these players are made to "Lead on the pitch" I guess we will see,

---------------------------------Galekovic--------------------------------------------

Muscat----------------Bort-------------Jakobsen---------------Jamieson

----------------------------Malik-------------Kilkenny--------------------------------

-------------------------------------Budzik-------------------------------------------------

Fitzy------------------------------Mauk--------------------------------------Kamooo

BENCH: Bouzanis, La Rocca, Carussca (80m), Brattan (70m), Ross (60m)

25 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

So how will Roar look? Maybe 

Theo

Hingert North Avraam Brown

McKay Caletti

Skapetis Oxborrow FBK

Maccarone

If we can't beat this team it's going to be a long season 

Looks about right. Bauthec's visa still isnt through so rule him out for Friday..

• Like 1

Questions to be answered:

Who will be between the sticks?

Muscat or Bort at RB

Which 3 in Midfield?

Fitzy, Arzani or Kamoo?

Ross or begin?

Brandan appearance?

Things to watch for:

Wazza and Valkanis tension, Maliks leadership, who makes bench and who is omitted.

I have a feeling there will be a few surprises Fri night. 

Good presser. Joyce seems very confident with how we are tracking. Said Ross would start and he's in great nick, hinted that Marcin isnt quite there yet but would play a part. On listening to that, imo we line up like this:

Eugene

Schenkeveld La Rocca  Jakobsen  Jamieson

Brattan         Malik

Carrusca

Fitzgerald           McCormack      Mauk.

SUBS Bouzanis, Kamau, Arzani, Budzinski, Tongyik/Muscat

Potentially with Mauk for Carrusca. Tongyik could well start CB in place of LaRocca, if he doesnt i suspect Muscat is picked for the bench.

Edited by bt50
Post Kilkenny flu news
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Good presser. Joyce seems very confident with how we are tracking. Said Ross would start and he's in great nick, hinted that Marcin isnt quite there yet but would play a part. On listening to that, imo we line up like this:

Eugene

Schenkeveld La Rocca  Jakobsen  Jamieson

Brattan         Kilkenny

Carrusca

Fitzgerald           McCormack      Mauk.

SUBS Bouzanis, Kamau, Arzani, Budzinski, Malik

Potentially with Malik in for Carrusca and swapping with Brattan.

That's a good team on paper innit

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Marcelo Carrusca, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Braedyn Crowley, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14. Daniel Arzani, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21. Ruon Tongyik, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack

5 minutes ago, neio said:

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Dean Bouzanis, 2. Manny Muscat, 3. Scott Jamieson, 5. Bart Schenkeveld, 6. Osama Malik, 7. Nick Fitzgerald, 8. Neil Kilkenny, 9. Marcelo Carrusca, 11. Bruce Kamau, 12. Braedyn Crowley, 13. Stefan Mauk, 14. Daniel Arzani, 18. Eugene Galekovic, 21. Ruon Tongyik, 25. Iacopo La Rocca, 26. Luke Brattan, 27. Marcin Budzinski, 44. Ross McCormack

Crowley and Tongyik to be omitted I'd guess

26 minutes ago, neio said:

No Jakobsen?

10 minutes ago, Forever City said:

No Jakobsen?

Pretty confident thats an error. He's not listed as out or unavailable and the feature story on the website is Jakobsen v Devere posted after the team news.

EDIT : Jakobsen is listed and Crowley not on the A League site. Brisbane squad:

Brisbane Roar FC squad: 1.Michael THEO (gk), 3.Luke DEVERE, 5.Corey BROWN, 6.Avram PAPADOPOULOS, 9.Massimo MACCARONE, 10.Brett HOLMAN, 13.Jade NORTH, 14.Fahid BEN KHALFALLAH, 16.Mitchell OXBORROW, 17.Matt MCKAY (c), 18.Joe CALETTI, 19.Jack HINGERT, 20.Shannon BRADY, 21.Jamie YOUNG(gk), 24.Connor O’TOOLE, 25.Rahmat AKBARI, 26.Nick D’AGOSTINO, 33.Petros SKAPETIS

**two to be omitted**

Unavailable: 2.Dane INGHAM (International duty – 1 week), 4.Daniel BOWLES (knee – TBC), 7.Thomas KRISTENSEN (hamstring 2-3 weeks)

Edited by bt50
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bt50 said:

Yep this makes sense. As i posted the other day after watching them train, Ross looks ready but Budzinski is noticeably underdone.

Can't wait now!

To be fair, how we do red and white stripes looks crap. White should always be the dominate colour on red and white striped colours imo. We really should make more use of the red heart to pay homage, not just the colour red. That goes for supporters too

Edited by Dylan

8 hours ago, rass said:

Yep this makes sense. As i posted the other day after watching them train, Ross looks ready but Budzinski is noticeably underdone.

Can't wait now!

I always marvel at professional sportsmen who think it's acceptable not to be in prime condition. So he didn't have a club, does that mean he couldn't run every day and train with a ball by himself?

Anyway hopefully he'll be ready soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JMSTEP123 said:

How so underdone? As in injured, not in physical condition or unable to keep up with the intensity of other players?

The intensity mostly. Maybe he's just one paced but it didn't seem he could ping into another gear when needed to sprint, etc.

• Like 1