Melbourne Football

Rd 01 City vs Brisbane (AAMI Fri 6/10, 7.50KO)

neio

Less than 2 weeks until we kick off the season

Quick overview of each team pre season 

CITY

Vs Oakleigh 10-0

Vs Bentleigh 2-0

Vs Peninsula Power (FFA) 2-0

Vs CCM 3-2

Vs Newcastle 1-3

Vs Hakoah (FFA) 3-2

Vs Adelaide 1-2

Vs Sydney (FFA) 0-2

Vs WSW 1-0

Games Played - 9 Goals scored - 23 Goals conceded - 11 Leading scorers - Fornaroli 7 Fitzgerald 6

ROAR

Vs Queenland Lions 2-0

Vs Peninsula Power 4-2

Vs Melb Victory (FFA) 1-5

Vs WSW 0-4

Vs China u22 2-1

Vs Melb Victory 1-3

Vs Olympia FC 3-0

Vs Sydney 2-0

Games Played - 8 Goals scored - 15 goals conceded - 15 leading scorers - Skapetis 6 Maccarone 4

I really hope im wrong, but with all commentary surrounding all pre season games and FFA Cup bollocks i think we are in for a stinking season. I would like to think that Wazza can sort stuff out but from what ive heard about his lack of game plan and tactics its gonna be a long season. I look forward to the stinking hot train rides after a few beverages 🙃

47 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

I really hope im wrong, but with all commentary surrounding all pre season games and FFA Cup bollocks i think we are in for a stinking season. I would like to think that Wazza can sort stuff out but from what ive heard about his lack of game plan and tactics its gonna be a long season. I look forward to the stinking hot train rides after a few beverages 🙃

Depending on the characters in the group, the constant pressure to perform and compete for spots in the starting line up will either inspire better performances or demoralise individuals.

Unfortunately, as Sydney demonstrated last year, success was based on consistency of team dynamics. 

I feel what is needed is not fundamentally a focus on individual performance, but team dynamics and consistency. In this lay our potential. Our squad is actually really good (injuries aside), but to be competitive we need a good team, not just good players.

I fear Wazza will not get the team dynamics right, and our team will be forever changing week to week. I think it will undo the conditions for the possibility of success for the season. But, as I said, I want to be proved wrong. And, at the moment, it is all pure speculation. I think we are all still riding the lows of last season post FFA, but hoping those wrongs are righted, despite evidence to the contrary pre season. 

• Like 2

All I see is Wazza trying to fix what's broken from last season and that is our defence and a piss weak culture/mentality. He has got some hard nut defenders in, so that's a tick, but fixing the second issue takes time. If players and coaches aren't buying in then they need to go by January.

Tbh I don't expect massive success this season, but what I do expect is a solid foundation to be set for the next 4 years. 9 years of rubbish doesn't get fixed in 4 months.

As for this first game, all I want to see is a solid and unified defence and some solid fast counter attacks with front line creativity.

0-0 would be encouraging, a 0-1 loss wouldn't mean the end of the world either.

Edit 24/9...... Ross changes things a bit. :D

Attacking potential all of a sudden looks much better.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This will be a good test for where we are, Roar has signed a player who last season played 20 games in the Serie A, a player who was in league 1 France pretty much his whole career and an Aussie in Skapetis.

They have a very good team and are my favourite to win the league other than Sydney which depends on their ACL campaign, it will be a tough game.

Not long now, it will be interesting to see how we do and what Wazza's game plan will be.

27 minutes ago, moops said:

This will be a good test for where we are, Roar has signed a player who last season played 20 games in the Serie A, a player who was in league 1 France pretty much his whole career and an Aussie in Skapetis.

They have a very good team and are my favourite to win the league other than Sydney which depends on their ACL campaign, it will be a tough game.

Not long now, it will be interesting to see how we do and what Wazza's game plan will be.

You forgot Aloisi is coach. I still think A.United will be 2nd.

1 hour ago, moops said:

I couldn't disagree more, I think that Brisbane will be rubbish this year

They lost maclaren, oar, borrello and broich and replaced with a 38 year old, a 22 year old with no senior games, khalfallah and the French dude (who I'm not 100% sure is even here yet) 

And people think that we have old players, they have some ridiculous number of over 30s who best football is behind them 

I think it's a very winnable game especially at home 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, neio said:

I couldn't disagree more, I think that Brisbane will be rubbish this year

They lost maclaren, oar, borrello and broich and replaced with a 38 year old, a 22 year old with no senior games, khalfallah and the French dude (who I'm not 100% sure is even here yet) 

And people think that we have old players, they have some ridiculous number of over 30s who best football is behind them 

I think it's a very winnable game especially at home 

Scapetis?

They finished better than us and have stegnthened, MacKay might be getting a bit long in the tooth, probably their weakest link in their best side.

Macaron might be 'older', but he was playing in Serie A last year.

Why don't you rate the French dude, do you watch much French football?

10 minutes ago, Thrillhouse said:

they're gonna park the bus again
ill be very confident if our big signings are starting and bouzanis and la rocca are sitting on the bench 

I'm liking Boozanis, not so much La Rocca, red card walking.

2 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

3-0 Budzinki Brace with a McKay OG

Bloody hope so, would be unreal. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moops said:

Scapetis?

They finished better than us and have stegnthened, MacKay might be getting a bit long in the tooth, probably their weakest link in their best side.

Macaron might be 'older', but he was playing in Serie A last year.

Why don't you rate the French dude, do you watch much French football?

I don't know alot about the French guy to be honest, he has an impressive resume that's for sure. So I can't comment on him. He could be a star

People whinge about our pre season, it's been alot better than theirs 12 goals conceded in 4 games against Aleague opposition

I don't think we will be fantastic this year, but a home game against Brisbane is winnable definitely

24 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't know alot about the French guy to be honest, he has an impressive resume that's for sure. So I can't comment on him. He could be a star

People whinge about our pre season, it's been alot better than theirs 12 goals conceded in 4 games against Aleague opposition

I don't think we will be fantastic this year, but a home game against Brisbane is winnable definitely

Of course it is, I expect it (in every game!).

Just saying it will be tough and it will be interesting where we are right now.

For us it sounds like Bratten is good and my boy Arzani, I will always back us come what may.

French football is up there, pretty even with Bundesliga and the bloke played for a top 4 team.

Edited by moops

Eugene 

Bart - Larocca - Jako (c) - Jamieson.

Kilkenny.          Brattan

Budzinski

Fitzgerald     McCormack   Mauk

SUBS Kamau - Bouzanis - Carrusca- Malik- Arzani

Assuming Ross the Boss is here i think he'll start. If not imo we play Mauk at striker and one of Arzani or Kamau at LW. Also wouldnt be surprised if Mauk started in midfield over Brattan. Muscat prob the next man in if they decide to start Bort at CB.

Overall I'm pretty confident. Whilst i dont think they'll be pushovers, i dont think Roar will be all that good this year. Our biggest issue will be scoring, esp if McCormack doesnt play. 2-0 for mine. I've actually been fairly happy with our defence so far this pre-season, i think we look far more steely at the back, even if it hasnt resulted in a heap of clean sheets. We'll be much harder to penetrate this season imo.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Eugene 

Bart - Larocca - Jako (c) - Jamieson.

Kilkenny.          Brattan

Budzinski

Fitzgerald     McCormack   Mauk

SUBS Kamau - Bouzanis - Carrusca- Malik- Arzani

Assuming Ross the Boss is here i think he'll start. If not imo we play Mauk at striker and one of Arzani or Kamau at LW. Also wouldnt be surprised if Mauk started in midfield over Brattan. Muscat prob the next man in if they decide to start Bort at CB.

Overall I'm pretty confident. Whilst i dont think they'll be pushovers, i dont think Roar will be all that good this year. Our biggest issue will be scoring, esp if McCormack doesnt play. 2-0 for mine. I've actually been fairly happy with our defence so far this pre-season, i think we look far more steely at the back, even if it hasnt resulted in a heap of clean sheets. We'll be much harder to penetrate this season imo.

As much as Kamoo is a whipping boy I like him as a sub as his pace is even more present once the defence has tired. 

I also like our defence for the season dramatically strengthened from last season 

My Prediction of Wazza's starting XI

-----------------------Bouzanis-------------------------

Muscat-------Bort------Jakobsen-----Jamieson??

------------------Malik-----------Kilkenny----------------

-------------------------Budzinski----------------------------

Fitzy----------------Ross/Mauk-----------------Kamau

Subs brought on: Carrusca/Brattan, Ross/Mauk, Arzani/La Rocca

1 hour ago, HeartOfCity said:

Getting excited for Friday night! As much as I want a win, I just cant wait for the season to start. Hanging to get back to AAMI to watch the City boys kick it around, have a kransky, get involved with the melbournians chants and have a couple of drinks with the boys i sit with. 

In that order.

We beat Adelaide 2-0 in a behind doors friendly this afternoon.  Who knows what kind of team Adelaide fielded, but it's still a nice way to finish pre-season.

Looking forward to next week even more now.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/adelaide-reds/adelaide-united-legend-eugene-galekovic-fronted-hindmarsh-for-the-first-time-since-joining-the-enemy-but-there-was-no-chance-of-being-heckled-by-fans/news-story/bcb286969e83496e38d7712719d4066a

City’s Stefan Mauk scored in the second half after Nick Fitzgerald jagged a goal in the 42nd minute

City started Friday’s clash with Galekovic behind Reds championship-winning Italian stopper Iacopo La Rocca.

Two other Reds title-winners Mauk and Bruce Kamau started for City while ex-Red Osama Malik who was traded in January 2016 was in the first XI.

Edited by bellydrum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

We beat Adelaide 2-0 in a behind doors friendly this afternoon.  Who knows what kind of team Adelaide fielded, but it's still a nice way to finish pre-season.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/adelaide-reds/adelaide-united-legend-eugene-galekovic-fronted-hindmarsh-for-the-first-time-since-joining-the-enemy-but-there-was-no-chance-of-being-heckled-by-fans/news-story/bcb286969e83496e38d7712719d4066a

Wow. 

Hopefully this means my predictions are total shit.

39 minutes ago, bellydrum said:

Good result and no maccas, I really hope Mauk has a good season with us Budz could throw a spanner in the works with him, but if he keeps performing, he'll get his chance.