Melbourne Football

Marcelo Carrusca

Forever City

5 hours ago, Jovan said:

Very dissapointing. I had these visions of Marcelo dominating in the hole and playing in Bruno and Ross. 

Maybe Vidosic and Mauk are more what Joyce wants.

I just have this nagging feeling that Bruno might follow the rest of the South Americans. 

Feel the same. If Bruno is pushed out that will do for me

• Like 2

Was laughed at a couple of weeks ago for originally suggesting that it wouldn't surprise me if Joyce wasn't a fan of Bruno because of his flair etc (which I actually meant as a compliment to Bruno).

If it does head that way, then I'll be done too. 

Carrusca leaving is very disappointing as far as I'm concerned but good on him for going to a club where he'll be properly utilised. 

With Carrusca's release, my question is: who is Melbourne City's 1st choice number 10 now? Indeed, do we even have any real number 10s left at the club?

It's not like we have been a free-scoring team in open play this season. Actually, the last time we scored in open play (goal 2 against Wellington) Carrusca was involved in the build-up. So what will Melbourne city's creativity and chance creation be like now?

6 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

With Carrusca's release, my question is: who is Melbourne City's 1st choice number 10 now? Indeed, do we even have any real number 10s left at the club?

It's not like we have been a free-scoring team in open play this season. Actually, the last time we scored in open play (goal 2 against Wellington) Carrusca was involved in the build-up. So what will Melbourne city's creativity and chance creation be like now?

Have to say Murfy1 if I didn't know anything about this team and read your post I'd assume Carrusca was a regular starter and a vital cog in our team this season. Our creativity and chance creation will be about the same as it has been because Carrusca barely played. 

13 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Have to say Murfy1 if I didn't know anything about this team and read your post I'd assume Carrusca was a regular starter and a vital cog in our team this season. Our creativity and chance creation will be about the same as it has been because Carrusca barely played. 

Exactly, Mauk and now Vidosic are both clearly in front of him as Wazza seems to like a 10 that brings something to the table defensively. It certainly apperared that Chelo was only ever there for when we were chasing a game and throwing caution to the wolves somewhat, and even then he was injured most of the time.

Plus it doesnt seem to me that we cut him, rather he asked to go and we obliged.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

A no.10 should be where your attacking moves are created. Carusca was not that for us because he is wasn't played, was injured, and Wazza tends not to want this type of player. I would have thought after Wazza got us defensively solid then he would slowly slot in more creative players like Carusca with good touch and quick ball movement.

Hopefully we won't all be regretting this when WSW go undefeated for the rest of the rest of the season and Carusca is the match winner for a majority of the time. Gombau will be wrapped with this signing.

Good luck to him.

1 hour ago, MXG said:

The only explanations might be injury prone or asked himself for the release after Gambau asked him (more likely).

He was clearly a spark when played but hasn't played much to be missed. I trust Joyce, so no issues here.

Is that a furphy though? I remember he was good when he came on in the FFA Cup game, but from recollection he was pretty non-existant in his three league appearances.
That's not to say i didnt rate him and wouldn't have liked to keep him all things being equal, but I'm not sure his actual performance for us warranted the plaudits some have suggested he deserved.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

Fair comments. IMO our season has been very up and down. First, 4 wins (average 2 goals a game). Then, 2 wins over 9 games (average 1 goal a game). And now 2 wins against Wellington and Perth (2 goals each game).

I'm just trying to guess how our attack will play, and what the performances will be like over the remaining 13 season games. Given the up and down nature of our season, I personally wouldn't bet a lot of money guessing how our team will play next. 

31 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

Fair comments. IMO our season has been very up and down. First, 4 wins (average 2 goals a game). Then, 2 wins over 9 games (average 1 goal a game). And now 2 wins against Wellington and Perth (2 goals each game).

I'm just trying to guess how our attack will play, and what the performances will be like over the remaining 13 season games. Given the up and down nature of our season, I personally wouldn't bet a lot of money guessing how our team will play next. 

I would have said that we're playing pretty much the same way all season. It's just that Joyce is sorting out which players best fit his ideas and where he's going to play them, and creating a squad to take us forward for the rest of this season and beyond.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would have said that we're playing pretty much the same way all season. It's just that Joyce is sorting out which players best fit his ideas and where he's going to play them, and creating a squad to take us forward for the rest of this season and beyond.

The part that most interests me is if you look at all of the games we havent won (Syd (H), WSW (H), Bri (A), Per (H), Syd (A), MV (H), WSW (A)),  I'd argue that we had more or better chances than the opposition in each of those, and a lot were amongst our highest possession games we've had all season. Mirror that against some of our wins (Adel, MV and Welly in particular spring to mind) and its perhaps highlighted that the games we've taken a more defensive approach are the ones we've won.
Tbh my major criticism of Joyce to this point, and it quite possibly could be coming from the top rather than him, is that i felt he mildly bent to the public/media will a little bit in order to appease those critical of the style we started with in the opening month. In a similar vein (although a positive thing), after copping it for his lack of subs against MV and WSW he has now made all three in back to back games.

Now i guess you can argue that both ways depending on your viewpoint ; either he is placing appeasement of others above his philosophy or you can view it as listening to the advice of those surrounding him in order to better the team.

Edited by bt50

3 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Could this be a move by the club to free up some cap space to move Budzinski under the cap and allow them to keep Ross as a marquee on loan?

Budzik is still a waste of a VISA spot in either case. Would you rather Budzik or another Novillo or Brandan? Even Kew Jaliens was quality

7 minutes ago, haz said:

Budzik is still a waste of a VISA spot in either case. Would you rather Budzik or another Novillo or Brandan? Even Kew Jaliens was quality

Moving him on is the issue. Can hardly see a huge market for him and can't see him mutually terminating as he will struggle to make the same dollars elsewhere given what he's shown so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Moving him on is the issue. Can hardly see a huge market for him and can't see him mutually terminating as he will struggle to make the same dollars elsewhere given what he's shown so far.

Hes well regarded in the Polish league so that would be the easiest. Or we just show his highlight reel to a team in the Indian League. theyll sign him

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mus-28 said:

11 hours ago, haz said:

Hes well regarded in the Polish league so that would be the easiest. Or we just show his highlight reel to a team in the Indian League. theyll sign him

I'm sure that if we really want to move Marcin on that CFG can find a way to do it. He's a marquee so there are no A-League salary cap issues, and I'm sure that CFG can make it worth his while to spend a few months in a suitable league before he returns home.

However, remember that FFA have to approve all marquees. While this is regarded as something of a formality these days, I don't know that we're exactly popular with FFA, so there's that to consider. With just half a season left before more general transfers occur, we might consider it best to leave things as they are??

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 7:02 AM, thisphantomfortress said:

Anyone who even slightly cares about this is just looking for excuses to be mad at the club. Cheers for the 15 minutes cello. 

What disappoints me about this is not so much that Carrusca is leaving, it’s that whilst he was here the coach seemed disinterested in playing him, either not including in the squad at all or barely playing him.

In regards to his injury I note that for a large part of the period that he wasn’t I. The match day squad he was not listed as injured, which indicates he was simply not selected.

So he might as well leave if Wazza doesn’t rate him, however it’s fair to say when your coach doesn’t seem to think guys like  Brandan, Cahill, Kilkenny and Carrusca can play, fans are within their rights to question what their coach is about and what he thinks the game they are playing actually is.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

What disappoints me about this is not so much that Carrusca is leaving, it’s that whilst he was here the coach seemed disinterested in playing him, either not including in the squad at all or barely playing him.

In regards to his injury I note that for a large part of the period that he wasn’t I. The match day squad he was not listed as injured, which indicates he was simply not selected.

So he might as well leave if Wazza doesn’t rate him, however it’s fair to say when your coach doesn’t seem to think guys like  Brandan, Cahill, Kilkenny and Carrusca can play, fans are within their rights to question what their coach is about and what he thinks the game they are playing actually is.

@Shahanga I usually agree with you on most things, but I must take issue with you on this one. I'm not saying that Joyce is right in the way he's going about things, but I don't think he ever says that any of his players cannot play - that is, are not good enough to play. He repeatedly says (my paraphrasing) that if you work hard every day at training on improving every single aspect of your game then you're up for selection, and then it's a matter of whether he thinks you're better equipped for the match than the other players who are challenging for that role in the team.

I also don't think you're quite right in putting those four players in the same category. As I understand it, Brandan was (is) recovering from a long-term injury, and Joyce had received opinion that he wasn't recovering to the point where he would be at the same level as before his injury. Cahill was just stupid. He was being selected for match-day squads, but not getting as many minutes as he wanted; in essence he then publicly questioned his employer's attitude towards him, and paid the price for doing so. Of the four, I suspect that Kilkenny and Carrusca aren't/weren't meeting Joyce's training criterion.

Just my opinion, and as I said, I don't necessarily think that Joyce is right in the way he's going about things.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga I usually agree with you on most things, but I must take issue with you on this one. I'm not saying that Joyce is right in the way he's going about things, but I don't think he ever says that any of his players cannot play - that is, are not good enough to play. He repeatedly says (my paraphrasing) that if you work hard every day at training on improving every single aspect of your game then you're up for selection, and then it's a matter of whether he thinks you're better equipped for the match than the other players who are challenging for that role in the team.

I also don't think you're quite right in putting those four players in the same category. As I understand it, Brandan was (is) recovering from a long-term injury, and Joyce had received opinion that he wasn't recovering to the point where he would be at the same level as before his injury. Cahill was just stupid. He was being selected for match-day squads, but not getting as many minutes as he wanted; in essence he then publicly questioned his employer's attitude towards him, and paid the price for doing so. Of the four, I suspect that Kilkenny and Carrusca aren't/weren't meeting Joyce's training criterion.

Just my opinion, and as I said, I don't necessarily think that Joyce is right in the way he's going about things.

I tend to agree with Shahanga on this. Joyce did say that they have to train hard during the week then he would consider the player for selection. But here is the rub - what is his selection criteria? Does everyone understand this? Or is it just another way of saying I am not selecting you and this is my excuse. I have certainly witnessed parallel situations in my lifetime. It also begs the question, can he handle ageing players?

On 1/12/2018 at 1:29 PM, bt50 said:

Is that a furphy though? I remember he was good when he came on in the FFA Cup game, but from recollection he was pretty non-existant in his three league appearances.
That's not to say i didnt rate him and wouldn't have liked to keep him all things being equal, but I'm not sure his actual performance for us warranted the plaudits some have suggested he deserved.

We had a better presence in the midfield when he appeared. So no, it not a furphy. Now watching CCM game, we still need that kind of player.

• Sad 1

It doesn't matter who our manager has been - how is it that players who look good for other clubs look as though they're seeing a football for the first time when they're with us?

What did Carrusca actually do for us? 85 minutes in half a season.

Don't understand it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It doesn't matter who our manager has been - how is it that players who look good for other clubs look as though they're seeing a football for the first time when they're with us?

What did Carrusca actually do for us? 85 minutes in half a season.

Don't understand it.

Well in this case, all players need continuity of minutes to play well. A few minutes here, a few there (many times out of position), it’s hard to get a rhythm going. Then you add an injury (& ignored after it)

TBH not sure how many other players have left and suddenly turned heads?

The Hoff - but he probably required a special coach to release his talent 

Redmayne - you know my thoughts. We had issues with our goal keeping coach.

43 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Didn't do them any good. Lost 3-0. It's one thing looking good, but it's not necessarily effective. 

Don’t disagree but he’s only one guy in XI.

Did you see the game? Kids level defending.

• 1 month later...