Melbourne Football

Marcelo Carrusca

Forever City

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-marcelo-carrusca-ahead-of-westfield-ffa-cup-quarter-final-elevates-braedyn-crowley-to-first-team-roster/an69fitv0fev1tng6sxktj3ed

Melbourne City FC can announce it has signed midfielder Marcelo Carrusca on a one-year deal and elevated striker Braedyn Crowley to its first team roster ahead of Wednesday’s Westfield FFA Cup Quarter final.

Carrusca, 34, joins as the Club’s seventh off-season signing, following more than 100 appearances for Adelaide United across five seasons, and will be eligible for City’s 2016 FFA Cup Final replay against Sydney FC on Wednesday 13 September at Leichhardt Oval. 

Carrusca began his career with Estudiantes in Argentina's Primeria Division, and was part of Galatasaray’s squad which won the Turkish Superliga title in 2008.

While at Adelaide, Carrusca was voted into the Professional Footballers Australia Team of the Season on three consecutive occasions between 2012-2015.

Carrusca has spent the last week training at the City Football Academy with Melbourne City’s first team. Melbourne City FC Head Coach Warren Joyce commented;

“Marcelo has a strong individual and team record in the A-League and provides balance and an additional outlet in our midfield. We brought Marcelo in to train with us over the past few days and have been pleased with his work ethic, his application and connection with our players and believe he add a new dimension to our squad.”

“This is an exciting opportunity for me; a lot of players want to play here at this Club and I want to be a part of what City are building, including its connection to its fans and its desire for more success. I’m really looking forward to the chance to debut against Sydney on Wednesday. We’re three weeks out from the first game of the season so the players can’t wait to see our fans at AAMI Park.”

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Yet Warren deemed him not good enough to start :hoff: 

I get you want wazza gone and probably so do a few others but honestly Carusca has just been announced and only with the team a few weeks him coming on for the last 30 minutes was the only sensible decision made last night every other selection/tactic plan was frankly idiotic. 

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

Unfortunately he made a mistake, playing time wise, signing with us.

It seemed pretty clear when he signed that he might largely be am impact player rather than a starter.  But TBH it's too soon to know, and he seems to be making a case for himself getting a place - certainly as a sub likely to get time, and I suspect pushing for a starting berth after last week's performance and comments from the gaffer.

• 1 month later...

Such a pity injuries stopped him displaying his full talents at City.

With Vidosic coming in, Carrusca was always going to be out the door.  

10 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I told ya all our signings were made before joyce/without his approval

IIRC he was signed once Joyce was here.

Carrusca was brought in low cost and as a non visa.  Always had talent, and even with age and injury history was always worth a shot given cost

34 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I told ya all our signings were made before joyce/without his approval

Lol there is no way Joyce wasn’t involved in all of this off seasons’ signings. He was there from the start.

anyway he wasn’t getting game time so no surprise he wanted to move on.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

Very dissapointing. I had these visions of Marcelo dominating in the hole and playing in Bruno and Ross. 

Maybe Vidosic and Mauk are more what Joyce wants.

I just have this nagging feeling that Bruno might follow the rest of the South Americans. 

• Sad 1