Melbourne Football

I'm starting it on Sunday, so you better learn it....

marteaux

Hendo has smashed the head on the nail repeatedly in this thread.

Argie, get your rotund South American ass on the terraces on Saturday.

Ando, start this one nice and early Saturday, pending Argies rotund South American ass's attendance.

The rest of you, learn the tune!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

TBH while I dont think this is bad, I dont think its really that good either. For where we are at the moment I think we should be trying to come up with chants that are

1- Easy as fuck that anyone and everyone can pick up on- snoop, ugh, etc

2- Catchy as fuck- those ones that you go to work on Monday still singing- we are melbourne, we love you, etc

3- A reworked existing song that everyone already knows the tune- Just cant get enough, Wonderwall, etc

I just dont think this one is really strong enough to take off

Just my opinion

Edited by KSK_47

• 4 weeks later...

@melburnian

it was started by Bannon numerous times but simply doesn't catch on

Thanks mate.

A shame. It's seems like a simple chant too. I guess the more you do it and the longer you persist maybe it will work out.

What is the number of the core Yarraside guys? The guys that know all the chants and take part in trying to establish new chants?

I mean if you look there, the core of the GB seems like 150 people? It then spread out a little where maybe 300 people are taking active part. It also helps that the drummers are quite good and there is two. Good organisation by them.

What I am trying to say is it won't take too many people to know about this chant to make it work. Hope it is tried again.

Introducing new chants should be a relatively simple affair.

All it requires is a cross platform approach. Printed chant sheets at the game. Spamming of the tune on social media networks. Updating of the Yarraside chant app., which correct me if I'm worng hasn't been updated in over 2 years..?

Then for it be taught line by line at the game, call & repeat untill ppl understand the tune/words and can carry it on their own.

Ideally, there should be a PDF with all our chants listed on it on the Yarraside.net website, or at the very least a stickied thread at the top of this board where all the official chants can be listed. Atm we have nowhere listing all our current chants.

I'm probably being too logical about it all though.

• Like 1

All it requires is a cross platform approach. Printed chant sheets at the game. Spamming of the tune on social media networks. Updating of the Yarraside chant app., which correct me if I'm worng hasn't been updated in over 2 years..?

Then for it be taught line by line at the game, call & repeat untill ppl understand the tune/words and can carry it on their own.

Ideally, there should be a PDF with all our chants listed on it on the Yarraside.net website, or at the very least a stickied thread at the top of this board where all the official chants can be listed. Atm we have nowhere listing all our current chants.

nailed it 110%.

also, not just with chants but with everything - if you ask people for help enough, there will always be people willing to help.

Or we could all get to the pub more than 10 minutes before we have to leave so we can practice these new chants.

Or actually stand in the terrace and sing.

Not a fan of chant sheets in the terrace. Makes us look like a pack of mongs, imo. The app is OK as people can look at it outside of the matches but I don't like people staring at their phones during the match.

As for listing our chants. I don't think we should be listing any chants until we actually do them. I know this doesn't help people know which chants they should learn but there has been plenty of chants which we have thought were good before and have sounded incredibly shit when chanted in our terrace.

Too many internet fans in here and not enough real fans at the pub. That's the problem.

• Like 1

Or we could all get to the pub more than 10 minutes before we have to leave so we can practice these new chants.

Agreed. But it's not realistic when half the terrace is underage.

Or actually stand in the terrace and sing.

People can stand in the terrace and sing. Won't make a difference to introducing new chants, unless they have something to learn the chant off.

Not a fan of chant sheets in the terrace. Makes us look like a pack of mongs, imo. The app is OK as people can look at it outside of the matches but I don't like people staring at their phones during the match.

Plenty of the best groups in the world have used chant sheets. There is no shame in it.

I'd rather have a terrace looking Mong-ish for 1% of the time memorising off a chant sheet, if it means we can look better and sound better when supporting our side for the other 99% of the time. But that's just me.

As for listing our chants. I don't think we should be listing any chants until we actually do them. I know this doesn't help people know which chants they should learn but there has been plenty of chants which we have thought were good before and have sounded incredibly shit when chanted in our terrace.

Understood.

It's a chicken or the egg argument though. No-one can learn more complex chants if they're not listed somewhere. More complex chants will always sound shit & never take off if not enough people know them.

Too many internet fans in here and not enough real fans at the pub. That's the problem.

Agreed.

Edited by Liberta per gli FB.