Melbourne Football

W-League 2018/19

Dylan

Its going to be incredibly tough for us this season to go back to back to back. Especially with PK at the helm, unless he has help from the other coaches (I'm sure he does)

So far we know that Laura Alleway and Mariana Tabain have moved on. So I hope we target more Matildas like Caitlin Foord, I think there is no chance of us getting Keer Sykes.

But there seems to be a bit of a partnership brewing between us and Seattle Reign so wouldn't be surprised to see some come across. Obviously hoping for GOAT lock to make her return

Edited by jw1739

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Its going to be incredibly tough for us this season to go back to back to back. Especially with PK at the helm, unless he has help from the other coaches (I'm sure he does)

So far we know that Laura Alleway and Mariana Tabain have moved on. So I hope we target more Matildas like Caitlin Foord, I think there is no chance of us getting Keer Sykes.

But there seems to be a bit of a partnership brewing between us and Seattle Reign so wouldn't be surprised to see some come across. Obviously hoping for GOAT lock to make her return

I think you under estimate PK.

Lydia Williams now a reign player. More meat on that Melbourne/Seattle partnership bone

Ann o dong was on the daily football show the other day, said the rumours are we are

going to be very strong again. 

Our issue last season was scoring goals so will be interesting to see who we get in

Edited by Dylan

Big improvements for the w-league this season: 

The new agreement provides contracting certainty, larger roster sizes, a significantly increased salary cap, an agreed commercial framework to underpin the growth of the women’s game, enhanced minimum medical standards, key principles for the first ever formal maternity policy for Westfield W-League players and the establishment of a formal partnership with the players through the Professional Women’s Football Committee to drive further employment, performance and competition reform.

• The average pay for a Westfield W-League player will be $15,500 in 2017/18 under the new deal rising to $17,400 in the following season.
  • The Westfield W-League salary cap per club will be increased from $150,000 in 2016/17 to $300,000 in 2017/18 and $350,000 in 2018/19.
  • Base payer payments are rising from a total of $450,000 in 2016/17 to $1.62 this season and $1.99m for next season.

http://www.w-league.com.au/article/new-era-for-professional-female-footballers-in-australia/f16st1wmt0kh1vizg7951zy12

• jw1739 pinned this topic

"Melbourne City FC marked the beginning of their pre-season preparations for the Westfield W-League with the re-signing of midfielder Amy Jackson and defender Tyla-Jay Vlajnic under new women’s Head Coach Patrick Kisnorbo on Monday."

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-re-signs-amy-jackson-and-tyla-jay-vlajnic/n0th3bjs7r7n1mse14qgwglos#JeYxQaAFhQvs4Jft.99

2 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

"Melbourne City FC marked the beginning of their pre-season preparations for the Westfield W-League with the re-signing of midfielder Amy Jackson and defender Tyla-Jay Vlajnic under new women’s Head Coach Patrick Kisnorbo on Monday."

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-re-signs-amy-jackson-and-tyla-jay-vlajnic/n0th3bjs7r7n1mse14qgwglos#JeYxQaAFhQvs4Jft.99

With two players!

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

Well that sounds hopeful for the women's game doesn't it, but given where it's been some of those statements are interesting.

Doubling of the salary cap? Yet apart from us no one spent more than about a third of it. Does this mean City have woken the other clubs from their slumber?

Minimum medical standards? The days of W League players having access to no facilities and having to change on the street are over?

8 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well that sounds hopeful for the women's game doesn't it, but given where it's been some of those statements are interesting.

Doubling of the salary cap? Yet apart from us no one spent more than about a third of it. Does this mean City have woken the other clubs from their slumber?

Minimum medical standards? The days of W League players having access to no facilities and having to change on the street are over?

In terms of the previous medical stories and change room issues it has been disgraceful in the past. I wish they named and shamed the clubs *Victory Glory Jets Adelaide*

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Mmm, will be interesting to see. (A quick note that I'm pretty sure Canberra spent more than a 3rd of the cap, though not all of it.) Scott Munn and John Tsatsimas (WSW) were the club reps in the discussions; don't think that's a coincidence. Hopefully the increased salary cap should also help recruiting with visa players.

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

There is also a cap floor. So clubs have to spend a min 180k

Wow! And those tight arses actually agreed to that? Wasn't that long ago Heather Reid was whinging that Melbourne City were distorting things by actually spending the salary cap.

Me thinks  the girls have AFLW to thank for the changing landscape.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Note the increased dividend from FFA to clubs participating in the W-League - increased from $50,000 to $150,000. That's enough to cover 15 players on the minimum wage. The tight arses are still going to be tight.

• jw1739 changed the title to W-League 2018/19 Squad
  • jw1739 unpinned this topic