stott             Bairnes.      Kennedy.       Catley

No goals conceded 

Catley said on tv that Kennedy is just waiting for paperwork to go through 

Edited by Dylan

So seems like this so far

Williams

Stott            Barnes     Kennedy         Catley

Goatlock/Simon/??

??                    Crummer                   ??

I don't think Jackson or Vljanic will start but Jackson is a midfielder and Vljanic a defender

That's Alanna Kennedy.

Link to the full article.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/city-launches-w-league-season-melbournes-cbd

Melbourne City FC has reinforced its Championship-winning Westfield W-League side with the signing of Matildas defender Alanna Kennedy, Japanese international Yukari Kinga and United States youth international Ashley Hatch.

Yukari Kinga was particularly good in the games for Canberra that I saw last year.

Kinga is a great signing

Williams

Stott       Bairnes      Kennedy         Catley

Kinga

Jesus

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Kinga is a great signing

Williams

Stott       Bairnes      Kennedy         Catley

Kinga

Jesus

Jesus would probably be only on the bench with this squad.

Seriously, our W-League squad shows FFA what would happen to the A-League if the restrictions were taken off, or at least eased.

• Like 1

City launches W-League season in Melbourne's CBD

Melbourne City FC has reinforced its Championship-winning Westfield W-League side with the signing of Matildas defender Alanna Kennedy, Japanese international Yukari Kinga and United States youth international Ashley Hatch.

City unveiled Kennedy, Kinga and Hatch at Melbourne’s iconic Federation Square in the heart of the CBD on Wednesday to celebrate the start of the new season, which commences with a blockbuster 2017 Grand Final replay against Perth Glory at nib Stadium in Perth this Friday night.

Kisnorbo’s side will then return to Melbourne for a huge Melbourne Derby in Round 2, giving City fans the first opportunity to watch the Club’s history-making Women’s team in action at AAMI Park next Friday 3 November.

As Head Coach Patrick Kisnorbo finalises his squad ahead of the season opener, the women’s team has also recruited 2016 NPL Goalkeeper of the Year Emily Shields, Geelong Galaxy shot-stopper Emily Kenshole and 15-year-old defender Lia Muldeary, taking the squad to 17 players.

After helping City lift consecutive W-League Championships last season, Kisnorbo has assembled a strong mix of established international players and emerging young talent for the team’s title defence.

At just 22 years of age, Kennedy has secured 57 caps for the Matildas, is a former W-League winner with Sydney FC and Perth Glory and won the National Women’s Soccer League with Western New York Flash in 2016 in the United States.

A teammate of fellow City defender Steph Catley at US NWSL side Orlando Pride and at national level with Catley, Kyah Simon, Lydia Williams and Larissa Crummer, Kennedy highlighted the Club’s professionalism as a major attraction.

“I am absolutely thrilled to be here at Melbourne City. To join a Club which has created history in the W-League is exciting and I feel this is the perfect place for me to continue my development as a player.”

“The facilities here at the City Football Academy are incredible and the way the whole club operates together – the integration between the men’s, women’s and youth teams – is first class.

“I’m looking forward to working with the team and learning from such an experienced coach in Patrick. He will push me and challenge myself to be the best player I can be and I can’t wait to get started.”

Kinga, 33, is regarded as one of the best talent’s in Women’s football, having played with FA WSL team Arsenal Ladies in England – winning an FA Womens Cup with the London club - and boasts a glittering resumé that includes over 100 international caps for Japan, a FIFA World Cup winners medal in 2011, and Olympic Games silver medals during a 13-year career.

Commenting on her signing, Kinga, formerly of Canberra United said;

“City provides me with a new and exciting challenge which I am extremely grateful for. I have only been in this environment for a week, but already it has been fantastic to see how the team and the Club is set up so professionally and provides everything a footballer needs to succeed.”

United States youth international Hatch arrives in Melbourne on the back of a break-out season for NWSL Shield winners North Carolina Courage. The 22-year-old tied the league’s rookie record with seven goals during her debut campaign, helping the Courage secure top spot at the end of the regular season.

Kennedy's contract is subject to international clearance.

Melbourne City FC W-League Squad: Lydia Williams (GK), Yukari Kinga, Lauren Barnes, Steph Catley, Larissa Crummer, Jess Fishlock, Rhali Dobson, Rebekah Stott, Alanna Kennedy, Ashley Hatch, Amy Jackson, Kyah Simon, Tyla-Jay Vlajnic, Emily Shields (GK), Sofia Sakalis, Hayley Richmond, Emily Kenshole (GK)

Edited by Forever City
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • jw1739 changed the title to W-League 2018/19 Squad
1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm wondering what sort of emphasis we'll be placing on the W-League this coming season. What with "return on investment" and all that.

It certainly has been quiet on the W-League front from the club.

How is the women’s academy doing? I must admit I don’t know much about the set up for the development pathway at the club for the women’s team, but one would hope there is some talent coming through that can move into the senior team.

After winning the competition for the past 3 seasons,  it may well be the case that the club will likely now have less appetite to spend big, instead looking at development opportunities. 

I guess we will wait and see.

17 hours ago, IssySG said:

Alanna Kennedy transferred to Sydney

Not much you can do about it. As I understand it we can't sign women players for more than the one season? 

I didn't realise that Rado Vidosic is the Women's coach for this coming season. https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/201819-w-league-fixtures-released

• 2 weeks later...

Faaark

Butt, Kellond-Knight and Kinga midfield this season.

Squad so far.

Melissa Barbieri

Goalkeeper

Melbourne City FC

Rebekah Stott

Defender

Sky Blue FC

Steph Catley

Defender

Seattle Reign FC

Yukari Kinga

Defender

Melbourne City FC

Elise Kellond-Knight *

Midfielder

Hammarby

Tameka Butt *

Midfielder

Klepp IL

Amy Jackson

Midfielder

Melbourne City FC

Sofia Sakalis

Midfielder

Melbourne City FC

Kyah Simon

Forward

Houston Dash

Adriana Jones *

Forward

Adelaide United

Helen Caceres *

Forward

Western Sydney Wanderers

Rhali Dobson

Forward

Melbourne City FC

I

Interestingly Williams issnt listed...

Star Fishlock could leave City: reports

http://www.espn.com.au/football/story/_/id/24778388/reports

Sad reacts only

57 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Faaark

Butt, Kellond-Knight and Kinga midfield this season.

Squad so far.

Melissa Barbieri

Goalkeeper

Melbourne City FC

Rebekah Stott

Defender

Sky Blue FC

Steph Catley

Defender

Seattle Reign FC

Yukari Kinga

Defender

Melbourne City FC

Elise Kellond-Knight *

Midfielder

Hammarby

Tameka Butt *

Midfielder

Klepp IL

Amy Jackson

Midfielder

Melbourne City FC

Sofia Sakalis

Midfielder

Melbourne City FC

Kyah Simon

Forward

Houston Dash

Adriana Jones *

Forward

Adelaide United

Helen Caceres *

Forward

Western Sydney Wanderers

Rhali Dobson

Forward

Melbourne City FC

I

Interestingly Williams issnt listed...

Had no idea Caceres' wife played football

8 minutes ago, haz said:

Star Fishlock could leave City: reports

http://www.espn.com.au/football/story/_/id/24778388/reports

Sad reacts only

Had no idea Caceres' wife played football

Was always Fishlocks last season last year.. Butt is a great replacement. 

Need Barnsey back IMO

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Missed an open goal twice, one header from Dobson hitting the crossbar and another from Spencer over the top. Otherwise I was impressed with the overall performance considering how many young first gamers were in. The new import players looked good, Stott & Barnes very solid in the back. Midfield will improve out of sight once KK & Butt come in. Can't afford to fall too far off the pace though, so need at least a win in the next couple of rounds.

Sydney will be very tough, so maybe the first derby the week after.

Edited by luka74

• jw1739 unpinned this topic