Melbourne Football

Marcin Budzinski

Forever City

Still not very impressed with his work rate and movement of the ball. Even Bouzanis works harder, not convincing enough for a marque status but thanks for the goals. Won’t be surprised if he’s moved under the cap soon and he can proof himself the rest of season

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Still not very impressed with his work rate and movement of the ball. Even Bouzanis works harder, not convincing enough for a marque status but thanks for the goals. Won’t be surprised if he’s moved under the cap soon and he can proof himself the rest of season

Hmm I was actually very impressed with the way he hustled their players tonight. Very different to early season cameos, he moved much better.

1 hour ago, rass said:

Hmm I was actually very impressed with the way he hustled their players tonight. Very different to early season cameos, he moved much better.

He certainly was good for the first 30minutes, loves to walk around too much for a attacking midfield marquee. Surely it can’t be fitness anymore.

Let’s hope he can pin a couple of these games together to proof me wrong.

Edited by Mr MO

Honest opinion of Budzinski tonight and first thing that struck me was his work rate. Way better than it has been in his cameos off the bench. He was perhaps a bit fortunate on both goals but he's also proven the last two weeks he doesn't need fortune to bang them in either. And in his defence his work rate and ability to get on the ball in the second half coincided and was a reflection of the team as a whole dropping deep and giving away possession. 

My thoughts on him...not convinced yet, I wanna see him put in another two good shifts against Newcastle and Sydney.  

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, haz said:

What's his statistic now? A goal every 45 mins?

For the record, this season it's 1 goal every 118 minutes. However, since getting onto the pitch again he has averaged 1 goal about every 40 minutes.

Warren Joyce had some interesting things to say about Budzinski in the interview:

Yeah, brilliant for him. It's not easy, you come over the other side of the world, don't you, and try and settle. His girlfriend is not with him and his child is not with him. And he wasn't fit when he first come. And he's found some of the tempo a little bit quick for him. But he's knuckled down, and kept having a go, keep trying to work, keep trying to improve. He's got a chance tonight, and he's taken the chance, and that's all you look for from all the players. You know you're pleased even with, you know obviously Manny Muscat has played most of the season has found himself out of the team and a kid's playing, and his attitude and mentality to come on and drive the game, you know, is excellent. And you want that from all the players. You need that if you want to be a successful football club.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/football/a-league/press-conferences/city-press-conference!661379

He scored 2 very useful goals. Great to see Budzinski hitting some form. Hopefully he can take his chance now and run with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityHeart said:

still looks average to me, and they were pretty poor goals lets be honest.

But

he is finding the back of the net, and thats all there is to it. Run whilst his form hot - his touch and general skill level still seems off. Can crack a ball though.

TBH, I just don't know how you can say the above. You must have been watching a different player and a different match.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH, I just don't know how you can say the above. You must have been watching a different player and a different match.

We've been grinding out wins by one goal and we finally broke the shackles with a 5 goal rout. Totally awesome performance with players now hitting their straps.

Not sure what people expect. Obviously it's still not good enough; every goal needs to be the quality of Willian's Chelsea screamer the other night and our team is shit because we haven't won the European Champions League yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

100%. He looked a different player yesterday, especially once he slotted his first goal. Looked very confident and was harrying and pressing more than usual. 

I've found that so far this season he's often 'hid' in his limited minutes on the pitch, not presenting for passes as much as he probably should and not doing too much on the odd occasions he found himself in possession, but last night he seemed to have almost the complete opposite approach, keen to see if he can keep it up and improve even more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Embee said:

100%. He looked a different player yesterday, especially once he slotted his first goal. Looked very confident and was harrying and pressing more than usual. 

I've found that so far this season he's often 'hid' in his limited minutes on the pitch, not presenting for passes as much as he probably should and not doing too much on the odd occasions he found himself in possession, but last night he seemed to have almost the complete opposite approach, keen to see if he can keep it up and improve even more.

Agree with this, by far his best performance even putting the goals to the side. As per Arzani he's clearly still got a bit to do with his fitness, but for 60 min he more than held his own. Hopefully its a spur to bigger and better things.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rass said:

We've been grinding out wins by one goal and we finally broke the shackles with a 5 goal rout. Totally awesome performance with players now hitting their straps.

Not sure what people expect. Obviously it's still not good enough; every goal needs to be the quality of Willian's Chelsea screamer the other night and our team is shit because we haven't won the European Champions League yet.

A goal is a goal, I don't care how they are scored (the exception being a pen from a dive). He was proactive and imposed himself in the first half and it was what I was expecting to see from him. The whole team went into a shell in the second half, at least until the Atkinson injury, and this included him. This is the only issue that I have with him is that as a marquee player, I'd expect more (that's why people would pay to see him) and that we haven't seen a 90 minute effort from him yet

On 1/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, jw1739 said:

because I watched the game and watched him.

TBO - some are getting too far ahead of themselves on that game. The result was great, the performance wasnt as great.

Bit like Liverpool  - sure they beat Man City but their 4 goals were from outside of the area, very rare freak type stuff you cant rely on (mostly within 10 mins too interestingly) Just got hot. Wont happen every week and alas, they lose to the bottom side next up. We were a bit the same - goals that just wont go in normally were finding the back of the net, and their one on ones just werent working. That can easily change next time out etc.

We have to beat Newcastle convincingly for me to accept anything has changed. For individuals and the team. This sport has never been about one result.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

because I watched the game and watched him.

Hmmm I also watched the game and watched him very closely.

So you don't think he has performed well as a marquee over the last 2 games?

by

1. Saving our arse against CCM

2. Winning the game off his own boot

Come on seriously, he came to us under-done, has worked his arse off the get up to speed and now is performing as a marquee should. He is scoring goals, creating opportunities and working hard off the ball as a CAM does.

At this moment nobody can say otherwise.

3 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Hmmm I also watched the game and watched him very closely.

So you don't think he has performed well as a marquee over the last 2 games?

by

1. Saving our arse against CCM

2. Winning the game off his own boot

Come on seriously, he came to us under-done, has worked his arse off the get up to speed and now is performing as a marquee should. He is scoring goals, creating opportunities and working hard off the ball as a CAM does.

At this moment nobody can say otherwise.

Most would say otherwise. 

I still don't think he has done enough to warrant marquee status. BUT his last game was miles ahead of any of his other games. Hopefully he can build on it and prove his doubters wrong.

As coming here underdone thats crap. He is a pro playing a decent European league and spent a few weeks prior in Manchester and then had a few weeks pre season. Just compare him to Ross or Bort same scenario and both have proved to be above Budz in how they adapted.

I'm still not sold on him and his next few games (if he plays) could decide his future in Melbourne. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wazza said he wasn't up to speed in his post match. 

Not meaning to put words in @Jovan's mouth, but i think he means that being underdone is his own fault and hence he should wear the criticism for it.

Much better signs in the last two games from Bud, and three goals to boot. It's a good start to what will hopefully prove a good second half of the season, but there's no doubt he has been a failure as a marquee to this point so far all things considered. He has 10 games and finals to change that.

• Like 1

@playmaker

I think the issue here is no one really knows what this guys is capable of. He's come of good the last two games goal wise but we don't know if he can't continue to produce this. Compare let's say to Kamau who started the season on fire, even then I for one still didn't rate him to start because of seeing his past performances which as we've seen recently from him is warranted. I guess your happy to make a leap of faith with Budzinki whilst some of us want to see a bit more from him before we believe he is the right man for us.

• Like 1

Playmaker wearing a lot of pressure here, I reckon. He doesn't want to have backed another Koren and as such is making over the top emotive calls based on next to no data.

In my opinion, we still haven't seen enough of him to know if he's any good. This is frustrating at this point of the season. I can't say he's shit at this stage, but to suggest he's now living up anything close to his marquee status is laughable.

• Like 6

I agree with all of the above.

The jury is still out on Bud no doubt, but I am calling it for what it is at this moment. That is, it has taken him half the season to get up to speed on various aspects of his game to satisfy Wazza, he has been given a chance due to his hard work and dedication, and has performed as a marquee should over the last 2 games as I mentioned earlier. 

The future has not been written as of yet so as it stands I am optimistic. 

Thanks @bt50

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I agree with all of the above.

The jury is still out on Bud no doubt, but I am calling it for what it is at this moment. That is, it has taken him half the season to get up to speed on various aspects of his game to satisfy Wazza, he has been given a chance due to his hard work and dedication, and has performed as a marquee should over the last 2 games as I mentioned earlier. 

The future has not been written as of yet so as it stands I am optimistic. 

To say his last 2 games is a stretch. He played 20mins against Mariners.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

Most would say otherwise. 

I still don't think he has done enough to warrant marquee status. BUT his last game was miles ahead of any of his other games. Hopefully he can build on it and prove his doubters wrong.

As coming here underdone thats crap. He is a pro playing a decent European league and spent a few weeks prior in Manchester and then had a few weeks pre season. Just compare him to Ross or Bort same scenario and both have proved to be above Budz in how they adapted.

I'm still not sold on him and his next few games (if he plays) could decide his future in Melbourne. 

I usually agree with much of what you post, but I have to take issue with part of this.

It was Joyce himself who said that Budzinski was  not fit when he came to us.

IMO Budzinski is definitely not in the same category as either Schenkeveld or McCormack. He ceased to be with Cracovia on 1st July 2017, and he did not sign for us until 18th September. Schenkeveld was with Zwolle right up until 21st August when he signed with us, and McCormack was with Aston Villa until 29th September when he signed with us. Schenkeveld and McCormack were not playing for their respective clubs right up to their signings for us, that's true, but they were still part of those clubs and training with them in some capacity. Budzinski passed though Manchester on his way here, but had a significant lay-off after Cracovia.

Whether or not Budzinski is of marquee quality is a matter of personal opinion and I'm not going one way or the other on that just yet. (Perhaps not prepared to stick my neck out too far yet, because I seem to have differed with most on here over Colazo.) But IMO it needs to be acknowledged that he was indeed underdone when he arrived here.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Wazza said he wasn't up to speed in his post match. 

Yeah mate but as a pro footballer I reckon it’s pretty unprofessional for him to let his condition slip to the level implied by Wazza.

As to yourself being “under pressure” for backing Buddy. I don’t think so, all you really said is as a marquee signing he should be given a few games in his recruited position to prove himself, sentiments I thought made a lot of sense.

Melbourne City marquee player Marcin Budzinski vows to stay until the end of the season

DAVID DAVUTOVIC

January 23, 2018 

FRESH from his two-goal heroics, Melbourne City marquee player Marcin Budzinski has vowed to stay until the end of the season.

Speculation was mounting that Budzinski, 27, could leave in this January transfer window after struggling to nail a spot in the first XI.

Instead Budzinski has enjoyed a January purple patch, netting three in two games, including two impressive long-range strikes to add to his Round 2 Melbourne derby bomb.

The attacking midfielder struggled for minutes as coach Warren Joyce opted for a more conservative approach but he has released the shackles in recent weeks and the players have relished the more offensive style.

None more so than Budzinski, who celebrated just his fourth start of the season last week by taking his season tally to four goals in 11 games — totalling just four starts and 474 minutes.

Budzinski, who signed a two-year deal, said he will reassess his City future at the end of the season but wanted to remain for City’s title challenge.

“Yes. If it depends on me then yes (he will stay until the end of the season),’’ Budzinski said.

“Maybe (I would’ve hoped to play more) but this is football, everybody is waiting for their chance, everybody can play.

“If you’re not playing you have to wait and be patient.”

Budzinski was confident City could push for a top two spot, ahead of Thursday’s crucial home match against second-place Newcastle Jets.

“We are in third place but we easily can be second or first because we are one of the best teams in this league,’’ he said.

“We have a strong team, not only 11 players, we have 16 players who can easily play in the first 11 so for the coach it’s sometimes difficult to choose the starting 11.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-marquee-player-marcin-budzinski-vows-to-stay-until-the-end-of-the-season/news-story/252fbd8fe763ca7bfaf491687f18c5a1

• Like 1

I think last night he confirmed my opinion of him.

The game was there to be won and he had every opportunity to dominate a game but struggled. 

I'm not buying he played out of position argument he just didn't do enough with and without the ball. If a teenager can have more influence on a game than a foreign marquee then we have made a mistake. 

With only a few days left I think the horse has bolted and unless something remarkable happens we could lose Ross and have Budzinski for the rest of the season or 2.

31 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I think last night he confirmed my opinion of him.

The game was there to be won and he had every opportunity to dominate a game but struggled. 

I'm not buying he played out of position argument he just didn't do enough with and without the ball. If a teenager can have more influence on a game than a foreign marquee then we have made a mistake. 

With only a few days left I think the horse has bolted and unless something remarkable happens we could lose Ross and have Budzinski for the rest of the season or 2.

Bud is not a striker and shouldn't be played there. In the second half he got him self into the game and I was surprised to see him hounding and taking possession in the RB area.

He had a poor game I agree however it is good to see him working harder than I have seen him previously.

To say the horse has bolted is a bit of an over reaction but hey if we can get a better player to replace him why not.

22 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Bud is not a striker and shouldn't be played there. In the second half he got him self into the game and I was surprised to see him hounding and taking possession in the RB area.

He had a poor game I agree however it is good to see him working harder than I have seen him previously.

To say the horse has bolted is a bit of an over reaction but hey if we can get a better player to replace him why not.

The horse has bolted comment is meaning it being January 26th and the window closes pretty soon and any changes to the squad is unlikely apart from maybe a deal with Ross.

So we will have Budzinski for the rest of the season. Tbf he did put in an effort but still struggled. 

I guess I'm more dissapointed than anything else. 

• Like 1