Melbourne Football

Marcin Budzinski

Forever City

6 hours ago, malloy said:

I don't know where you have gotten that quote of Joyce from, but I believe you have misinterpreted based on your analogy. Surely Joyce would mean by saying something like that is that he doesn't care what labels players come in with he is only interested in how they perform and put in at training, which is something that he has reiterated on numerous occasions.  

The season opener will also be Budzinski’s first competitive outing for City, but Joyce was less than certain on whether he will start as he builds his fitness.

And the one-time Polish youth international is also not having any extra expectation heaped upon him by his coach.

“The whole title of marquee or non-marquee doesn’t really fit with me,” Joyce said.

“To me, he’s just a player at our football club who has got to train well every day and show a level of consistency.

“And if you see that then you’ve got a good chance of seeing it in the games. And if you don’t then you don’t play.

“The pressures that other people put on it, or that tag of marquee, it means nothing inside the club.”

- Warren Joyce, October 5, 2017 [source]

In a sense, what Joyce said is completely true. A team should play its best performing players.

But what I mean is: why was Joyce saying this about Budzinski just before the season started? It stinks of making excuses IMO, for a player who is on much more money than most other players, but is not performing to a marquee level (or in Budzinski's case, to a normal A-League player level).

I think Joyce said this because he saw Budzinski in preseason and realised or decided (each person can take their pick) that Budzinski is a limited player who won't do well in the A-League.

Overall I believe that marquees should be better than other A-League players. And clearly the club (and maybe Joyce, I forget the ins and outs of the Budzinski signing) has gotten it horribly wrong by signing Budzinski as an international marquee. Indeed, to sign 2 out of 2 terrible marquees from Europe is actually something of a perverse achievement. I'd take Engelaar and Sibon over Koren and Budzinski any day of the week. 

So I'm hoping the club stops making excuses for Budzinski, and stops spending big wages on him weekly for no reward, and instead turn those valuable resources towards a new and useful marquee, and sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

What’s going on with out-of-favour Melbourne City marquee Marcin Budzinski

MARCIN Budzinski scored in his first Melbourne Derby but has barely been seen since. Against the Wanderers, he was left on the bench. So what’s going on with Melbourne City’s marquee?

Ben McKay, AAP

FOX SPORTSJANUARY 3, 201811:54PM

MARQUEE players are at a premium in the A-League, so why did Warren Joyce keep Marcin Budzinski on the bench as his Melbourne City side slumped to defeat at Western Sydney? The 27-year-old has featured in just five minutes of football over the last month, as City’s fortunes have nosedived. The loss at ANZ Stadium was City’s third on the spin, coming against a side that hadn’t scored in four losses over the past five games. So where was Budzinski? On the bench, pocketing his wage as the club’s second-highest earner - behind only injured skipper Bruno Fornaroli - without kicking a ball. It’s a mystery why the attacking midfielder has only been sparingly used since his arrival in Melbourne. City Football Group, with its unrivalled scouting network and eye for talent, plucked Budzinski out of the Polish top flight, but there’s been precious few glimpses of his ability. His second start in a City shirt produced the high-water mark. Budzinski came on as a substitute in the season’s first Melbourne derby to score his only goal in Australia to date.

The club has confirmed there’s no issue with his fitness. Joyce declared he was “quite happy” with his sharpness in the lead-up to the Christmas derby; when he was again an unused substitute. “It’s never easy for players joining new clubs,” he said in December, when queried about Budzinski’s failure to be a regular starter. “You come from the other side of the world, you have to settle and develop. He’s a good lad around the place.” In a sign that Budzinski was off the pace of regular City midfielders Stefan Mauk, Luke Brattan and Osama Malik, Joyce compared Budzinski’s claim to a first-team place with teenagers. “Everyone is in a competition. Josh Cavallo, Nathaniel Atkinson, Connor Metcalfe ... I just judge them the same as anybody else at the club,” he said. “It’s the ones who are absolutely flat out every day (that are selected) and if they get the chance they have to make the most of it.”

The club’s inability to get a tune from his big-money signing is scarcely tenable, suggesting an exit for the Pole could be possible in January. And, concerningly, it continues a run of rotten marquees for City. The last two foreign players brought to Australia as City marquees have hugely underwhelmed. Slovenian Robi Koren left the club ahead of time after struggling for form and fitness, while Argentinian Nicolas Colazo completed one season on loan from Argentina’s Boca Juniors. Socceroos Striker Tim Cahill also left the club by mutual consent last month.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/a-league/whats-going-on-with-outoffavour-melbourne-city-marquee-marcin-budzinski/news-story/7eebeefe941ef0b60aafda4356db5d33

Sounds like a youth coach mentality

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

I’m all for players putting in at training every day, but you still need to select your best side.

A mature coach probably also needs to accept that some older/mature players will need to adopt an “old soldier” approach and only give 100% on match day, because otherwise they’ll leave their best work in the training ground. 

I thought a coach’s job was to get the most out of his charges. If I was in the job I would interpret that as finding a way to get the best out of the most talented players I had in my squad; the Brandans, Cahill, Kilkennys, Barts and,  Carruscas. Instead our “coach” just ejects 4 of his most talented.

Fair enough at Man U, just spend 200M and bring in some others, but here in Australia you have to work with what you’ve got and running out journeymen every week isn’t the answer.

In the case of Bud, out of respect for your scouts and your own decision to sign him, don’t you have to at least give him a few games in his preferred position before binning him? The onus is on the coach to harness his talent.

If only Marwood thought the same as Joyce, the WJ would have been moved into admin after his first week.

Edited by Shahanga

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I’m all for players putting in at training every day, but you still need to select your best side.

A mature coach probably also needs to accept that some older/mature players will need to adopt an “old soldier” approach and only give 100% on match day, because otherwise they’ll leave their best work in the training ground. 

I thought a coach’s job was to get the most out of his charges. If I was in the job I would interpret that as finding a way to get the best out of the most talented players I had in my squad; the Brandans, Cahill, Kilkennys, Barts and,  Carruscas. Instead our “coach” just ejects 4 of his most talented.

Fair enough at Man U, just spend 200M and bring in some others, but here in Australia you have to work with what you’ve got and running out journeymen every week isn’t the answer.

In the case of Bud, out of respect for your scouts and your own decision to sign him, don’t you have to at least give him a few games in his preferred position before binning him? The onus is on the coach to harness his talent.

If only Marwood thought the same as Joyce, the WJ would have been moved into admin after his first week.

I have reached the point where I have no fucking idea of what Warren Joyce is trying to do with us this season, or of what City Football Group is trying to do with Melbourne City. None of it makes sense to me, and I don't even know why I care any more.

25 minutes ago, Dylan said:

What we need is Burns to go to Welly and tear the league up again

Before we signed Vidosic presumably we trialled him and gave him the same tests as Burns? As we should have done with Carrusca and others? If not then Joyce's arse should be kicked from here back to Manchester.

8 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Before we signed Vidosic presumably we trialled him and gave him the same tests as Burns? As we should have done with Carrusca and others? If not then Joyce's arse should be kicked from here back to Manchester.

To be fair he's probably more familiar with Vidosic and Carrusca as they played quite recently in the league whereas Burns hasn't been in the league for a couple of seasons now.

That being said, I think skipping over Burns will be a mistake. Could have feasibly brought in both him and Vidosic (by getting rid of Budders).

2 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Isn’t Bud marquee for the season regardless of whether he’s released? Under league rules I thought We can’t just bring in a new marquee because “we’ve” changed our mind?

They way everyone kept talking about it I thought you could release one and sign another as long as you didn't have more than two on the books at once, happy to be corrected though

6 hours ago, Embee said:

They way everyone kept talking about it I thought you could release one and sign another as long as you didn't have more than two on the books at once, happy to be corrected though

Budzik could take an unfortunate fall onto a metal tyre rod.. Then we could get an injury replacement

7 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Isn’t Bud marquee for the season regardless of whether he’s released? Under league rules I thought We can’t just bring in a new marquee because “we’ve” changed our mind?

From memory we could replace Koren when we fucked him off, but we didn't 

So I assume the rule is the same 

@Shahanga Unfortunately I cannot find the rules concerning marquee players. The FFA seems to have deleted most of their rules and regulations and replaced them by summaries.

What we need is a copy of "2015/16 Hyundai A-League Player Contract Regulations", but I cannot find a copy of this document on-line, only the changes that were announced to the previous regulations that were announced in August 2015.

MELBOURNE City and maligned marquee Robert Koren are in talks about an early release, with an offer to be tabled within 24 hours.

If Koren, whose contract expires in May, accepted an early release it would open up a coveted marquee position for a big-name signing for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

That's part of an article when we released Koren, so unless the rule has changed we can bring in another marquee 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, neio said:

MELBOURNE City and maligned marquee Robert Koren are in talks about an early release, with an offer to be tabled within 24 hours.

If Koren, whose contract expires in May, accepted an early release it would open up a coveted marquee position for a big-name signing for the rest of this season and possibly beyond.

That's part of an article when we released Koren, so unless the rule has changed we can bring in another marquee 

Yes, this is exactly my understanding. No journalists (as far as I recall) said that we couldn't sign another marquee after we released Koren, and many (like Davutovic) said that we definitely could sign a new marquee.

So really, as far as I'm concerned, there should be much speculation about whether Budzinski could be replaced by a good player, and if replacing Budzinski could give us a chance of a top 3 finish, or a chance to mix it up in the finals.

34 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

So really, as far as I'm concerned, there should be much speculation about whether Budzinski could be replaced by a good player, and if replacing Budzinski could give us a chance of a top 3 finish, or a chance to mix it up in the finals.

Considering Budzik sits on the bench, I think there is a very high chance any Marquee will have more impact then him..... dont know though if it should be a #10 or a winger. I guess it depends on if Vidosic is good enough, Carrusca stays fit and if Delbridge displaces Malik, Jakobsen or Muscat

Edited by haz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, neio said:

Can I point something out? As best I can remember we never released Koren. He saw out his contract?-(oh we did release him in his second January didn’t we, but given we never replaced him I guess I didn’t hang on to the memory )

(having said that thanks for the clarification, it sounds like you can replace marquees)

Edited by Shahanga

2 hours ago, strider said:

Does anyone actually give a fuck?

Spiritually, holistically, practically, generally, or more specifically?

I believe we do all give a fuck. We rely on decent individuals to give us the extra edge that may allow us to win a season. Budzinski was given high praise and we all held high hopes. We feel robbed and thus, yes, we do give a fuck @strider not to say your presence back here is not a welcome change.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

Spiritually, holistically, practically, generally, or more specifically?

I believe we do all give a fuck. We rely on decent individuals to give us the extra edge that may allow us to win a season. Budzinski was given high praise and we all held high hopes. We feel robbed and thus, yes, we do give a fuck @strider not to say your presence back here is not a welcome change.

I don’t give a fuck about simpson memes. Does that count? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

People might be surprised to learn that Budzinski has played 371 minutes this season, and he's featured in 8 out of our 14 matches so far.

I'll be impressed if anyone can name the 3 matches that Budzinski has played the most minutes in, or the 3 matches that he has started.

4 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

People might be surprised to learn that Budzinski has played 371 minutes this season, and he's featured in 8 out of our 14 matches so far.

I'll be impressed if anyone can name the 3 matches that Budzinski has played the most minutes in, or the 3 matches that he has started.

Started Perth, Brisbane and Newcastle, and played 70ish min v Sydney in R5. Newy i think was the one he was subbed at HT.

Haha, I didn't actually think that everyone couldn't remember his games. The point being that whenever Budzinski plays more, like in our 3-1 home loss to Perth, our 3-1 away loss to Brisbane, and our 1-0 home loss to Sydney FC, we do worse. And Budzinski hasn't featured or has barely played in all of City's 7 wins this season. And he has sometimes played in midfield.

So that's probably why Budzinski isn't getting game time. Why he is still making the bench ahead of Kilkenny is a mystery to me, though.

2 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Haha, I didn't actually think that everyone couldn't remember his games. The point being that whenever Budzinski plays more, like in our 3-1 home loss to Perth, our 3-1 away loss to Brisbane, and our 1-0 home loss to Sydney FC, we do worse. And Budzinski hasn't featured or has barely played in all of City's 7 wins this season. And he has sometimes played in midfield.

So that's probably why Budzinski isn't getting game time. Why he is still making the bench ahead of Kilkenny is a mystery to me, though.

Murphy there are currently bigger issues in this thread than this

4 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

There's nothing inspector clouseau can't solve.

• Forever City changed the title to Marcin Budzinski - At least he's better than Koren