Melbourne Football

Marcin Budzinski

Forever City

2 hours ago, Chris p said:

You mean they should play regardless of form or they should be replaced if they're not good enough ?

A team should always have 5 performing VISAs who make it onto the pitch for both  being in form and being fit.

On 11/12/2017 at 10:35 AM, playmaker said:

He needs to start if he is fit as he is on a 2 year deal. 

From memory neither Casto nor Ninkovic did much in the first half of their first season so you need to be very careful we don't lose a potential match winner by not being patient.

He needs to start games.

I support the concept of not gifting people games & not giving a rats about contract status, but I do think when your scouts bring you a marquee, surely you have to at least start him for a few weeks in his position of choice before discarding him?

Anyway we’ve already seen that’s not Wazzas way. You don’t show what he wants at training, you’re not getting near the field.

57 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Anyway we’ve already seen that’s not Wazzas way. You don’t show what he wants at training, you’re not getting near the field.

I'm not convinced that's entirely a smart method. I've seen heaps of players that were terrible at training but come gameday they were unstoppable. Also I've seen heaps of blokes at training look like superstars yet come the game complete spuds.

Now obviously at the elite proffessional level the extremes wouldn't be as much but surely at some point you have to give a bloke a go in a real game to see what he's like. 

But I guess we will see in the time to come whether Wazza's way will be successful. 

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I'm not convinced that's entirely a smart method. I've seen heaps of players that were terrible at training but come gameday they were unstoppable. Also I've seen heaps of blokes at training look like superstars yet come the game complete spuds.

Now obviously at the elite proffessional level the extremes wouldn't be as much but surely at some point you have to give a bloke a go in a real game to see what he's like. 

But I guess we will see in the time to come whether Wazza's way will be successful. 

I agree, but as you appear to have noticed, I’m not the gaffer.

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Hard to set professional standards without that consistency though, which reflects back to the 'culture' issues we've had since inception really.

Budzinski and the other marquee and visa signings probably take most of our attention, but overall I would say that the continual turnover of players and coaches that we have just shows that being part of a big organization like CFG does not guarantee success in all aspects of the organization's activities. I've seen it in industry. In fact being part of a big organization often provides hidey-holes for rankly incompetent people.

I don't think CFG has been the owner of multiple football clubs long enough to work out how to manage the particular needs of each of those individual clubs. Certainly I don't think it has worked out how to manage Melbourne City.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Budzinski and the other marquee and visa signings probably take most of our attention, but overall I would say that the continual turnover of players and coaches that we have just shows that being part of a big organization like CFG does not guarantee success in all aspects of the organization's activities. I've seen it in industry. In fact being part of a big organization often provides hidey-holes for rankly incompetent people.

I don't think CFG has been the owner of multiple football clubs long enough to work out how to manage the particular needs of each of those individual clubs. Certainly I don't think it has worked out how to manage Melbourne City.

Agree with this. I'd also add that I also don't think that they understand the local market well and are trying to impose a franchise model on us. Hopefully, it works like Maccas rather than Starbucks but i worry that it'll be more like Starbucks

The way I see it is Budzinski is a number 6/8 (and he has said as much). He is a natural midfielder but quite an awkward one as he doesn't seem to be a ball-playing/hard-running/tackling midfielder. These are non-negotiable traits of a box-to-box midfielder.

Going on his limited minutes this season, he seems to like to dictate play with the ball at his feet by beating players and laying off little passes. But he likes to receive passes in the box instead of making them as he has a powerful shot on both sides.

I'm not surprised that he isn't starting in the midfield. I really want him to succeed here but he seems more like a luxury type if I'm being honest. 

I'm really not sure. I think that he has been given so little opportunity that it's premature to just write him off. 

Now what he's doing at training so that he gets so few opportunities is an issue but I don't think Mauk is a Number 10's arsehole. Just a fucking donkey that can run box to box, which Joyce seems to prefer. Not saying he's a bad player , just not a Number 10. 

But based on Mauk's anonymity in most games and his performance in the Derby tonight I would just start Bud at Number 10 for 2-3 games. If he's shite then offload him late in the transfer window.   

There are piano players, piano tuners and piano movers. Mauk is a piano mover. Not sure yet if Bud is a piano tuner or piano player. I would give him a chance to play the piano. If he turns out to be a just a tuner then piss him off and find a piano player instead.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

Mauk's role is really as an advanced defender. Budski is supposedly a number 8 but I've not been impressed with his defending, Mauk does it better

Hmm. If Mauk is playing at Number 8, who is at 10? Surely Malik and Brattan are 6/8, which leaves Mauk as our nominal 10.  I take your point that he seems to be there for his defensive/running donkey work. But I don't think number 10s are, or should be, judged on their defensive work. This is one of our main problems, IMHO. We have a 10 that doesn't create anything. If we had Maradona playing there I don't think we would be grizzling if he didn't track back enough. And yes, Bud is obviously no Maradona but we have seen so little of him that we don't really know what he is.     

5 hours ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

It just doesn't make sense to sign someone as a marquee then subsequently hardly even play them. 

We better have someone decent lined up as a replacement. 

The question for is what is Wazza's definition of decent? He would have Christiano Ronaldo on the bench because he doesn't track back enough to do defensive work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dr lime said:

Hmm. If Mauk is playing at Number 8, who is at 10? Surely Malik and Brattan are 6/8, which leaves Mauk as our nominal 10.  I take your point that he seems to be there for his defensive/running donkey work. But I don't think number 10s are, or should be, judged on their defensive work. This is one of our main problems, IMHO. We have a 10 that doesn't create anything. If we had Maradona playing there I don't think we would be grizzling if he didn't track back enough. And yes, Bud is obviously no Maradona but we have seen so little of him that we don't really know what he is.     

We aren't playing a 10, we have 2 number 8s and a 6

18 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We aren't playing a 10, we have 2 number 8s and a 6

I disagree. We have two 6's. -Malik and Bratten/Jako. Mauk is playing as a ten. He drops in a little deeper due to the fact that our 6's are defensively minded players.  We never play a traditional 9 so the roaming nature of our 9 (ala ross or even Bruno) means that 9 pushes into 10 role, forcing Mauk back. we need a true 8 who connects the middle allowing our 9 and 10 to stay high without giving the opposition the opportunity to  overloaded midfield. As it stands we need two  6's because of the pressure placed on the defence without an 8. Killer would fill this role but in his absence, Mauk with Arzani at ten. Whenever we get forward we never have the numbers up front to work together. It always ends up a 1 V 1 type situation. If we put in a traditional 8 we could conceivably have greater numbers centrally.  Mauk is often absent because he stays high but we dont work through the midfield. This is the joyce style. I am not a fan TBH. 

57 minutes ago, haz said:

So much for our world class scouts.... we clearly signed the wrong Pol

Certainly it's very hard to fathom what happened. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding between Melbourne and CFG on the type of player we wanted. Seeing the style of play Joyce has used up to now, and now that we've signed Vidosic, it's hard to see Budzinski getting into the match-day squad. Which makes it pointless keeping him. But maybe he is prepared to stay, do all the right things with training etc. and just not play - he's on a two-year contract. Depends what his ambitions are I suppose.

8 minutes ago, neio said:

Every time I watch Sydney I shake my head at how they have mierzejewski in the cap, and we have budzinski outside ours

Wait. Mierzejewski is under the cap????? I thought he was marquee

Just now, jw1739 said:

But maybe he is prepared to stay, do all the right things with training etc. and just not play - he's on a two-year contract. Depends what his ambitions are I suppose.

The the sake of the team he should just leave, marquee spots are the most important aspect of a salary capped league 

36 minutes ago, haz said:

Wait. Mierzejewski is under the cap????? I thought he was marquee

The the sake of the team he should just leave, marquee spots are the most important aspect of a salary capped league 

@haz Nope. Sydney's marquees are Bobo and Ninkovic. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-marquee-player-filip-holosko-returns-to-europe-20170522-gwab8d.html

I agree Budski should leave. But opinion is that CFG are reluctant to pay out contracts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@haz Nope. Sydney's marquees are Bobo and Ninkovic. http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/sydney-fc-marquee-player-filip-holosko-returns-to-europe-20170522-gwab8d.html

I agree Budski should leave. But opinion is that CFG are reluctant to pay out contracts.

Crazy! Cant believe hes under the cap while ours is warming the bench

9 hours ago, neio said:

Every time I watch Sydney I shake my head at how they have mierzejewski in the cap, and we have budzinski outside ours

Supposedly the smurfs are still a few hundred thousand dollars under the cap. I imagine that because they are Sydney FC their accounts are accepted at face value and not scrutinised too closely

• Like 1

I'm not sure of FFA's attitude to this, but with Budski and Cahill rumoured to both be on around $400K, with Cahill gone I can't see why Budski couldn't move inside the cap leaving us with a marquee position open. But that would be if we wanted to keep him, and given that he can't command a starting berth I don't see that we really do. At the moment he is occupying both a Visa and a Marquee position, and as has been pointed out many times on here you need to have your Visas and Marquees playing every week if you're going to win silverware. For salary cap reasons if we want to terminate Budski then we should do it while he's nominally a Marquee.

• Like 1

• Forever City changed the title to Marcin Budzinski - The Failed Marquee

In retrospect, when Joyce said that he doesn't view players as "marquees or not marquees", it should have set off alarm bells. Imagine someone saying that Raheem Sterling isn't expected to score goals, despite him being worth 60 million Euros or whatever.

I think the coaches are benching and not playing Budzinski for a reason. I believe he's the second Robbie Koren. CFG's Central Europe scout for us should be sacked, and then Budzinski should be cut loose, in that order. 

13 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

In retrospect, when Joyce said that he doesn't view players as "marquees or not marquees", it should have set off alarm bells. Imagine someone saying that Raheem Sterling isn't expected to score goals, despite him being worth 60 million Euros or whatever.

I think the coaches are benching and not playing Budzinski for a reason. I believe he's the second Robbie Koren. CFG's Central Europe scout for us should be sacked, and then Budzinski should be cut loose, in that order. 

I don't know where you have gotten that quote of Joyce from, but I believe you have misinterpreted based on your analogy. Surely Joyce would mean by saying something like that is that he doesn't care what labels players come in with he is only interested in how they perform and put in at training, which is something that he has reiterated on numerous occasions.  

• Forever City changed the title to Marcin Budzinski - At least he's better than Koren