Melbourne Football

Marcin Budzinski

Forever City

Anyway, benefit of the doubt for this bloke. One thing I will note in that highlight reel, most of it was counter attacking moves. Wonder if that says anything. Seems to like to shoot early which is something different and welcome. I hope we do play differently to everyone else this season. One big factor of the Aleague being so stale is there are only two ways and one speed that every team plays in this league IMO, and its fkn boring.

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 4

Obviously can't say if he will flop before he has played but there is a nagging question in my head about why he has never left the polish league... logically you would think if he was any good he would have been snapped up by another euro club in a higher league years ago

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Obviously can't say if he will flop before he has played but there is a nagging question in my head about why he has never left the polish league... logically you would think if he was any good he would have been snapped up by another euro club in a higher league years ago

I have had the same thought, even Bruno went to Seria A

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Yep same. 

Budzinski: This week has been a positive start

Two pre-season matches and an intense training schedule has seen the Pole in the thick of the action in both matches and the former Cracovia man says he wouldn’t have it any other way.

“It was my second game this week but I’m feeling good and that’s a positive start,” Budzinski said.

“With every day, it’s getting better but I think I still have a long way to go. I hope next week it will be better and this week was a step in the right direction.

“We have two weeks to go and for me, the most important thing is to work towards the first game of the season. I feel good and it’s good that I can have more time with the team to work and get to know them better.”

The midfielder started in both Tuesday’s intra-club match and Friday’s pre-season friendly with Western Sydney Wanderers, playing multiple roles across the middle third, and says he’s just happy to be out on the field and getting used to Australian football.

“I’m just happy that I could play my first game against different opponents,” he said.

“Now I know a little more about the team and how they play here, especially against an A-League team, so it’s a new experience for me.

“I was expecting the physicality during the match. The coach wanted me to be strong and tough on the pitch but also show my skills.

“I was prepared for it in the match, it can be tricky but for me, it’s nothing new because in Poland its similar.

Budzinski and City have one last pre-season friendly with Adelaide United behind closed doors at Coopers Stadium before October 6’s season opener against Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Budzinski and City have one last pre-season friendly with Adelaide United behind closed doors at Coopers Stadium before October 6’s season opener against Brisbane Roar at AAMI Park.

Ah another intra-club match. Expect Petrillo to bring the lube, tissues and rub one off in the stands.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, haz said:

How did he play from when he was subbed on?

He had I think 10 mins. Made some neat passes. Got in, made a few challenges had a scoring chance that was blocked. 

Really hard to tell. Definitely not shit but how good? I'm undecided. 

33 minutes ago, japiedog said:

okay great strike for goal, but almost non existent at other times

coughed up possession too easy in our half when we were under pressure, didn't shield the ball well, bad first touch, 

that's not fitness related 

waiting for the attacks

He deserves as much scrutiny, if not more, as the rest of the players. All I'll say is when fitness is an issue mistakes are more often than not made, such as the ones you've mentioned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

He deserves as much scrutiny, if not more, as the rest of the players. All I'll say is when fitness is an issue mistakes are more often than not made, such as the ones you've mentioned. 

I thought he was decent to be honest, my biggest criticism of him was not finishing his second chance, really should have had a brace.

As you say, fitness (and in particular match fitness) can contribute to some of the mentioned issues, at the end of the day though he smashed in a lovely goal in his first derby so I'm pleased enough with him so far.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

Our system doesn't look like it will be a friendly one for whoever plays in the hole behind the striker. The attacking midfielder won't see a lot of the ball as we are pretty direct on the counter, and defensively it looks like they'll have to work pretty hard to close passing lanes. Mauk did this really well before Malik's injury, as his role was to screen Milligan, who had absolutely no influence, while also working hard the other way when getting involved on the counter.  

That's why it is likely we won't see Carrusca on the park unless we are chasing the game. Although creative, he doesn't offer much to the defensive structure of the side when we don't have the ball. 

I also think, if Mauk keeps playing his role so well, Budzinski will struggle to get himself in the starting side. Mauk and him will be battling for the same position. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Embee said:

I thought he was decent to be honest, my biggest criticism of him was not finishing his second chance, really should have had a brace.

As you say, fitness (and in particular match fitness) can contribute to some of the mentioned issues, at the end of the day though he smashed in a lovely goal in his first derby so I'm pleased enough with him so far.

My sentiments exactly 

15 minutes ago, marn11 said:

Our system doesn't look like it will be a friendly one for whoever plays in the hole behind the striker. The attacking midfielder won't see a lot of the ball as we are pretty direct on the counter, and defensively it looks like they'll have to work pretty hard to close passing lanes. Mauk did this really well before Malik's injury, as his role was to screen Milligan, who had absolutely no influence, while also working hard the other way when getting involved on the counter.  

That's why it is likely we won't see Carrusca on the park unless we are chasing the game. Although creative, he doesn't offer much to the defensive structure of the side when we don't have the ball. 

I also think, if Mauk keeps playing his role so well, Budzinski will struggle to get himself in the starting side. Mauk and him will be battling for the same position. 

My hope is that we'll adapt our style to the opponent. The derby and the smurfs FFA Cup game are the only times we've used this counter-attacking style

9 hours ago, japiedog said:

okay great strike for goal, but almost non existent at other times

coughed up possession too easy in our half when we were under pressure, didn't shield the ball well, bad first touch, 

that's not fitness related 

waiting for the attacks

You are right.

the excellent posts that follow yours though provide a good setting of the situation.

Personally I always wondered that perhaps Bud would be a bit one dimensional. I mean if he was a rounded midfielder who could regularly hit wonder bombs, why on earth would he come to the a League? Anyway i want to see a lot more of him before I comment too much.

Goalscoring hero Marcin Budzinski starts the journey to silencing Melbourne City marquee knockers

MARCIN Budzinski’s smile tells the full story.

The Polish midfielder knows the doubts surrounding his marquee player status at Melbourne City.

“I try to not think about that, but yeah, when somebody is marquee, maybe some people have some expectations about who that person is,” Budzinski said.

“But I just try to show what player I am and keep going. I know it’s not my fault. People have the right to have some expectations like that. But I will try not to disappoint anyone.”

And, true to his word, Budzinski did not disappoint in Saturday night’s 2-1 derby win.

The 27-year-old scored the opening goal after coming on as a first-half substitute for the ­injured Osama Malik.

“It was the best way (to ­announce myself),” he said.

“I want to show how I can play. This is a good example.

“It’s maybe better that I haven’t got so much time to think what to do with the ball. I just shoot, very strong,”

Not that Budzinski was entirely happy, given he spurned a golden chance to score late, denied by advancing Victory goalkeeper Lawrence Thomas.

“I am really angry, but it’s OK because we won,” he said.

“If after this situation Victory score, then I am dead, but it’s OK, step by step.”

In the second half Budzinski said he and his teammates struggled at times, needing to do a lot of defensive running as Victory dominated possession.

But the Pole said he was feeling good and has put his hand up to start in Saturday’s AAMI Park clash against Wellington, if selected.

“We have strong bench, a strong team,” he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/goalscoring-hero-marcin-budzinski-starts-the-journey-to-silencing-melbourne-city-marquee-knockers/news-story/c9f069276c261933e194b0c92f5b4d47

Edited by Forever City

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

How do you get match fit and sharp  without actually playing matches? 

As much as i would like to see him play, you just can't change the line-up the way we're playing atm.

Its actually refreshing tbh, every season we're always told 'oh dw, things will turn around once we get our marquee fit and playing' and sure, for a few games it works but it's merely a temporary fix, due to the fact the team issue has never simply been inserting one more player to fix everything. It's actually been a multitude of reasons instead.

This season the whole is greater then the sum of its parts could not be more true, and even though we are not playing 'sexy football' its really refreshing to see how defensively especially, we are working as a much better, more cohesive unit.

• Like 2

• Forever City changed the title to Marcin Budzinski - At least he's better than Koren