Melbourne Football

Marcin Budzinski

Forever City

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

There was a suggestion on twitter that he was having issues getting his visa paperwork through but who knows how true that is.

Sounds about right. Make it difficult for someone who has a job to go to while at the same time letting in thousands who are going straight on to benefits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

No longer listed as a player on the clubs website so you'd think confirmed... I'm still not convinced its here that he's coming though...

I'm not convinced either. He would not be listed as a Cracovia player on the basis that his contract expired on 1st July 2017 and hasn't been renewed. Whether it's confirmed that he's coming to us is a different thing altogether. That summary of player movements to and from Polish clubs may show him as coming here based on the same rumour that we have already heard.

As always, we won't really know until we see he's signed for someone else, or his arrival is announced by City.

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

In my experience DIBP couldn't find their arse with both hands, so visa problems are no surprise.  If he has to wait as long as me we might get him for the start of the 18-19 season.

From memory Colazo also had some issues. He had to go to Italy or something. 

Hopefully he will be ready by October. 

I really have no idea what we'll get from this guy if we do in fact sign him.

All I know so far is he's Polish, been playing in Poland, is available and likes to smash in long bombs.

I guess the long bombs sound fantastic but highlight reels don't show the number of times he went for glory and missed when he could and should have played in his striker.

On top of that I think isn't Poland the Germany shop window? Surely Bundesliga 2 clubs would be all over him if he was a gun?

Anyway I'm happy to wait and see, just not getting too excited.

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I really have no idea what we'll get from this guy if we do in fact sign him.

All I know so far is he's Polish, been playing in Poland, is available and likes to smash in long bombs.

I guess the long bombs sound fantastic but highlight reels don't show the number of times he went for glory and missed when he could and should have played in his striker.

On top of that I think isn't Poland the Germany shop window? Surely Bundesliga 2 clubs would be all over him if he was a gun?

Anyway I'm happy to wait and see, just not getting too excited.

If a player's good enough to play Bundesliga 2 they're almost definitely not going to be playing down here.

Agree that it's a wait and see move, but to be fair we've had more success from the unknown quantity VISA's over our history.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Embee said:

If a player's good enough to play Bundesliga 2 they're almost definitely not going to be playing down here.

Agree that it's a wait and see move, but to be fair we've had more success from the unknown quantity VISA's over our history.

I guess that's my point. Wouldn't we want a marquee to be that level? Heaps of blokes have played A League that were good enough for B2. 

In affect what I'm saying is the market in Poland should be very efficient and the chances of finding unrecognised talent there are likely to be slim.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I guess that's my point. Wouldn't we want a marquee to be that level? Heaps of blokes have played A League that were good enough for B2. 

In affect what I'm saying is the market in Poland should be very efficient and the chances of finding unrecognised talent there are likely to be slim.

Overseas players in their prime aren't going to want to come down here if they're good enough to play in a league like the B2, the best Australian forward in the league just moved over there. The only way you'll get a player of that quality is if you're offering them considerably more cash or if they're in their twilight years. The B2 is a strong league in one of the strongest football countries on the planet,  I think you're understating it's quality a bit.

It's also worth mentioning that a number of people would have said the same things about the Uruguayan league when we recruited Bruno, or the Danish first division when we recruited Jakobsen, yet they're two of our best players now.

I'll back our scouts in on this.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Embee said:

Overseas players in their prime aren't going to want to come down here if they're good enough to play in a league like the B2, the best Australian forward in the league just moved over there. The only way you'll get a player of that quality is if you're offering them considerably more cash or if they're in their twilight years. The B2 is a strong league in one of the strongest football countries on the planet,  I think you're understating it's quality a bit.

It's also worth mentioning that a number of people would have said the same things about the Uruguayan league when we recruited Bruno, or the Danish first division when we recruited Jakobsen, yet they're two of our best players now.

:clap:

Can we pin this post in the Transfer Thread and make every nuffy read it before posting?

36 minutes ago, Embee said:

Overseas players in their prime aren't going to want to come down here if they're good enough to play in a league like the B2.

Broich and Berisha left B2 for Australia and spent the primes of their careers here. Andy Keogh came straight from the championship to Australia when he was still in his 20s.  Bort and Wout Brama are both in their prime and have come to Australia straight from the Eredivise. Xavi Torres is only 30 and has come straight out of La Liga to Australia. I could go on...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Broich and Berisha left B2 for Australia and spent the primes of their careers here. Andy Keogh came straight from the championship to Australia when he was still in his 20s.  Bort and Wout Brama are both in their prime and have come to Australia straight from the Eredivise. Xavi Torres is only 30 and has come straight out of La Liga to Australia. I could go on...

Andy Keogh was struggling for Milwall to the point that he was loaned to Blackpool, another club in the championship where he also struggled to make an impact, would likely have had to drop a division. Berisha was absolutely woeful in B2 and has been arguably the best striker this league has seen. Wout Brama is 31 years of age, he's in his prime? Bort is a player who had his career stalled by injuries and it doesn't look like he was going to get much of a look in this season. Xavi Torres played 17 league games (and those weren't even full appearances) for a relegated side in La Liga and turns 31 in around a month and a half, heading into his twilight for sure. Thomas Broich had only played about 20 games in two years before he came down here and has admitted to having attitude problems which prevented him from achieving as much as his ability suggested he could have and lead him to explore a change of scenery down here.

Pretty much every example you've supplied is of a player who shouldn't have even been in any of those leagues and/or were entering their twilight when they made the move outside of Broich, who has publicly addressed the circumstances of why he chose to come to this league.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Embee said:

Look we obviously see things differently which is fair enough, but one of my points, that was perhaps lost, was that we have a marquee spot available and I thought we should be more ambitious with it. I would have thought there was a lot more chance for a "surprise" to be found in Uruguay than in Poland for instance. Check a map if you don't believe me.

Also I think Bruno would play in B2 no problems and heaps of Aussies have gone there over the years and no I don't mean heaps every year, so I think you misunderstood me. 

Yeah our scouts seem decent but we seem to for some reason having to work our way down the  list, which doesn't build confidence 

Just now, Shahanga said:

Look we obviously see things differently which is fair enough, but one of my points, that was perhaps lost, was that we have a marquee spot available and I thought we should be more ambitious with it. I would have thought there was a lot more chance for a "surprise" to be found in Uruguay than in Poland for instance. Check a map if you don't believe me.

Also I think Bruno would play in B2 no problems and heaps of Aussies have gone there over the years and no I don't mean heaps every year, so I think you misunderstood me. 

Yeah our scouts seem decent but we seem to for some reason having to work our way down the  list, which doesn't build confidence 

I think Bruno could play in B2 for sure, but he wasn't at that level when we got him, and as far as Aussies leaving to go there that's a bit different than bringing guys into the league who are at that level.

I'm not sure just how far we are down the original list as I personally feel like Troisi was an opportunist move that we weren't really planning for, that Croation fella sounds like he was probably the first option overall.

Either way, we won't know for sure for a while, let's hope it works out.

• Forever City changed the title to Marcin Budzinski - At least he's better than Koren