Melbourne Football

Marcus Gomes MCFC eSport player

Dylan

On 28/09/2018 at 5:58 PM, Originalmeme said:

fifa has a huge market in europe for obvious reasons

is there data for me to look at just for curiosity how big the e-sport scene is + audience reach? I have just dismissed the game without looking too much into it based on the fact that there is lesser variability in working a result and their mechanics are AI assisted most of the time. Compared to dota or counterstrike where the depth of decision making and constantly adapting to situations on the fly goes much more deeper. That is my opinion as to how those games have been more captivating
( + consisting of teamwork or establishing a club/organisations [?] ) and are mainstream in the twitch live streaming for high tier competitions. I barely come across any FIFA esport news other than seeing stuff on this forum or once in a blue moon through algorithms finding me on facebook or twitch 

Edited by Young Polak

14 hours ago, Young Polak said:

is there data for me to look at just for curiosity how big the e-sport scene is + audience reach? I have just dismissed the game without looking too much into it based on the fact that there is lesser variability in working a result and their mechanics are AI assisted most of the time. Compared to dota or counterstrike where the depth of decision making and constantly adapting to situations on the fly goes much more deeper. That is my opinion as to how those games have been more captivating
( + consisting of teamwork or establishing a club/organisations [?] ) and are mainstream in the twitch live streaming for high tier competitions. I barely come across any FIFA esport news other than seeing stuff on this forum or once in a blue moon through algorithms finding me on facebook or twitch 

I couldn't give you a factual run down as such but I can speak more so on the game itself.  The esports is highly individual, many of the biggest teams in Europe have players or a group of players that compete in leagues (much like in Australia) so there is already that financial backing.

In terms of fifa itself.  The game at the top end is highly mechanics based (skills, accurate switching of players and passing) so the probability of AI affecting games is actually incredibly low, more like negligible (the players are always in control). If you watch a replay of any professional games, its very different to how you would imagine playing with your mates. doesn't play like an actual football game at all as players are trying to abuse skills and mechanics that will allow them to win.    If you follow league and dota (dota being a far more complex game, but in the similiar bracket - moba), you will know that many of the teams are slaves to game meta, so there actually isn't as much room for strategy as you think. The games basically follow the same path every time, hence why League especially is dying as there is no real appeal or genuine excitement in the game anymore. There has been a foundation for these games for almost a decade now so that is why you hear more about them than say fifa. However there are many games that still have esports that may not be as commercial but are still intensely followed. Even my beloved Age Of Empires 2 has had a resurgence (recently a tournament for 100k and a global pro league now). 

I dont have much experience with Fifa esports (no more than you) but from what I can gather and judging by the casual player base of the game (consistently high as a new game comes out every year), there is a large market for a professional version of the game.  Thats really all any games needs is a large player base and interest with a reasonable skill ceiling to  become an esport.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Originalmeme said:

I couldn't give you a factual run down as such but I can speak more so on the game itself.  The esports is highly individual, many of the biggest teams in Europe have players or a group of players that compete in leagues (much like in Australia) so there is already that financial backing.

In terms of fifa itself.  The game at the top end is highly mechanics based (skills, accurate switching of players and passing) so the probability of AI affecting games is actually incredibly low, more like negligible (the players are always in control). If you watch a replay of any professional games, its very different to how you would imagine playing with your mates. doesn't play like an actual football game at all as players are trying to abuse skills and mechanics that will allow them to win.    If you follow league and dota (dota being a far more complex game, but in the similiar bracket - moba), you will know that many of the teams are slaves to game meta, so there actually isn't as much room for strategy as you think. The games basically follow the same path every time, hence why League especially is dying as there is no real appeal or genuine excitement in the game anymore. There has been a foundation for these games for almost a decade now so that is why you hear more about them than say fifa. However there are many games that still have esports that may not be as commercial but are still intensely followed. Even my beloved Age Of Empires 2 has had a resurgence (recently a tournament for 100k and a global pro league now). 

I dont have much experience with Fifa esports (no more than you) but from what I can gather and judging by the casual player base of the game (consistently high as a new game comes out every year), there is a large market for a professional version of the game.  Thats really all any games needs is a large player base and interest with a reasonable skill ceiling to  become an esport.

ye, i wouldn't have a clue how much in depth of skill is needed on a high tier level. I casually play both fifa and dota from time to time but I generally have played counter strike for the last 12 years and I am really only informed for that game only.