Melbourne Football

Marcus Gomes MCFC eSport player

Dylan

12 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Here I am sinking paychecks into bitcoin when we've got esport running a muck in the market

NEO is where its at.... 300% ROI atm.

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Probably nothing if I'm honest. Though I am quite curious how investing in it would even work and what the options are. 

I think best option is becoming an agent or manager. Start early, sign up a couple of kids, take 10% of their winnings and sponsor deals. Also learn Korean.

Edited by haz

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Probably nothing if I'm honest. Though I am quite curious how investing in it would even work and what the options are. 

Start an org

Pay people to play for your org

Get sponsors

????

Profit

2 hours ago, haz said:

I think best option is becoming an agent or manager. Start early, sign up a couple of kids, take 10% of their winnings and sponsor deals. Also learn Korean.

I think agent would be good, wouldn't mind getting into it myself now that I know people and how things work. I think most players are clueless to what they should be getting, either selling themselves short or conversely expecting unrealistic things.

8 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I think agent would be good, wouldn't mind getting into it myself now that I know people and how things work. I think most players are clueless to what they should be getting, either selling themselves short or conversely expecting unrealistic things.

Do it, no different to the Music Managers or even those fuckwit YouTube/Social managers. Just find some good but clueless kids, form an E-Sports agency and represent them.

Just now, haz said:

Do it, no different to the Music Managers or even those fuckwit YouTube/Social managers. Just find some good but clueless kids, form an E-Sports agency and represent them.

Wouldnt make any money from it now tbh, but yeah still could be worth getting into. 

Just now, haz said:

How much do the DOTA, LOL, CS GO players get paid by sponsors let alone winnings? 

In Australia?

Dota - not really a local scene, it's intertwined with Asia

LoL - Not really sure as it's not a scene I've been involed with much yet as it's difficult to  get into, but it's pretty professionally run with match payments from the league and then i guess extras from the org.

CSGO - I know about 6 months ago the top team was getting $150/week salary per player + fuckload of gear from sponsor (mmouse, headset, keyboard, whatever else the sponsor sells) + prize money. Wouldnt suprise me if in some teams it's now $200 a week. Org also pays probably $3k-4k entry fees in a year and a fuckload of travel costs for offline tournaments if you're a top team (easily $10k+ a year just for local tournaments). Usually orgs take a small cut of prize money from offline events, maybe 20% max, and these days the prize money is pretty big in Australia, upto $50k for the biggest local tournament but you also get to go to a fair bit of international tournaments, so players in a top team are potentially making a ddeecent amount from prize money.

Internationally

Dota - a fuckload, given biggest tournament has US$20m prize or something ridiculous, dont know more tbh

LoL - a fuckload, has the most money in it, but again dont really follow it so dont know

CSGO - probably like US$30k a month in salary for a player in a top team plus 80-100% of prize money (there are $1m+ tournaments), plus a bunch of shit from team sponsors, plus individual sponsors,, plus money made streaming etc.

9 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Tesla would know about sponsorships, but i know some scrub teams that advertise unheard of gimmick brands and the players have a unique code to sell to customers and receive a 5% comission of the profit made, but really doubt they even succeed selling even 1 product under them because there isnt much marketing and social media interraction going on with australian or local teams, the audiences seem to only pay attention to the international majors that come around once every few months

Yeah these arent really sponsors, and I doubt any team makes much off the affiliate commission. The best thing to get as an up and coming org is a gear sponsor, who will usually just give the org a bunch of gear to give to players which helps you get better teams/players, I'm sure the top orgs also get cash from their gear sponsor as well. But as for how much money the top orgs in Australia get from sponsors, no idea tbh, I dont think it's a huge amount though (relative to costs and to what it could be), IMO there is a lot more potential for bigger and more varied sponsorship deals, you are starting to see mainstream brands like Mcdonalds come in but it should be more common.

Internationally though it's huge, you have brands like Audi paying millions.

Edited by Tesla

10 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Yeah these arent really sponsors, and I doubt any team makes much off the affiliate commission. The best thing to get as an up and coming org is a gear sponsor, who will usually just give the org a bunch of gear to give to players which helps you get better teams/players, I'm sure the top orgs also get cash from their gear sponsor as well. But as for how much money the top orgs in Australia get from sponsors, no idea tbh, I dont think it's a huge amount though, IMO there is a lot more potential for bigger and more varied sponsorship deals, you are starting to see mainstream brands like Mcdonalds come in but it should be more common.

Common trend now is professional players is relying on their own streaming services on twitch to earn donations and subscription payments. I dont see sponsorships have reached that level of sufficient for esport players to live on, but rather just get free shit 90% of the time, and even so they will be contracted to not allowed to sell any of these items (experience from a friend who isnin a similar situation)

shroud from cloud 9 "retired" and wants to do full time streaming instead of playing competitive cs. Cunts only like 23. But the cheeky bastard will be a sub for any of cloud 9's online games so he can still stay relevant in the community and not forgotten while he is busy playing pubg

Edited by Young Polak

3 hours ago, Young Polak said:

Common trend now is professional players is relying on their own streaming services on twitch to earn donations and subscription payments. I dont see sponsorships have reached that level of sufficient for esport players to live on, but rather just get free shit 90% of the time, and even so they will be contracted to not allowed to sell any of these items (experience from a friend who isnin a similar situation)

shroud from cloud 9 "retired" and wants to do full time streaming instead of playing competitive cs. Cunts only like 23. But the cheeky bastard will be a sub for any of cloud 9's online games so he can still stay relevant in the community and not forgotten while he is busy playing pubg

I doubt that was a financial decision, he would have been getting paid a lot by cloud9 to play, doubt it's any less than US$200k a year + prize money + still would have made something from streaming.

Probably just easier to be a fulltime streamer, it would be a lot of fucking work to be a professional csgo player, you see them playing a tournament in NA and then 2 days later in EU, the travel never ends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Can we move this thread somewhere else?

Good point. We have other off-field stuff in this Forum as well, and we did away with a couple of sub-forums at the last forum change. I would say this thread will die naturally soon.

• 5 months later...

The ffa are giving it a good push with a fair bit of media and what not, but the whole thing is a bit meh for me still. 

Guess it's worth seeing how it goes and it probably isn't costing a lot, but fifa isn't a strong title as an esport so can't see it achieving much more  then being a bit of a gimmick. 

Wouldn't mind seeing clubs pursue a more broad esport agenda, AFL is giving it a good go but I don't think they've got it right either.  

Edited by Tesla

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

The ffa are giving it a good push with a fair bit of media and what not, but the whole thing is a bit meh for me still. 

Guess it's worth seeing how it goes and it probably isn't costing a lot, but fifa isn't a strong title as an esport so can't see it achieving much more  then being a bit of a gimmick. 

Wouldn't mind seeing clubs pursue a more broad esport agenda, AFL is giving it a good go but I don't think they've got it right either.  

These kids should go outside. My attention span for games is 10 minutes max

• Like 2

Of no interest to me (which wouldn't surprise Forumites!) and I don't even understand half of what is being talked about. But I guess whatever turns you on turns you on, and there's probably a much bigger market for this stuff than I could possibly imagine. Hopefully for the clubs and for FFA the investment proves its worth.  https://www.a-league.com.au/news/fox-sports-broadcast-e-league-season-one

Football Federation Australia (FFA) is excited to announce that fans will be able to view the inaugural season of the e-League live on FOX SPORTS’ platforms.

Since the Hyundai A-League commenced in 2005, FOX SPORTS has broadcast every match of the competition to households across Australia and New Zealand, and beamed the league into numerous nations around the globe.

Similarly, FOX SPORTS’ commitment to the Westfield W-League has helped Australia’s premier women’s football competition develop markedly.

Now, FOX SPORTS has furthered its commitment to football in Australia by placing its backing behind FFA’s e-League – a competition that will feature a total of 20 competitors representing all ten Hyundai A-League clubs (two competitors per club).

From Rounds 1 to 9 of the e-League (Thursday, 15 February 2018 to Thursday, 12 April 2018) fans will be able to tune into the competition via live stream on foxsports.com.au as some of Australia’s best EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 gamers compete for the inaugural honour of e-League Champion on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox.

The 2018 e-League Grand Final (date TBC) will be televised live on FOX SPORTS, and live streamed on foxsports.com.au.

Significantly, fans will also be able to consume more e-League action via twitch (twitch.tv) – the popular live streaming video platform favoured by the eSports community. According to Twitch, over 12 billion minutes of content is watched on their streaming service every month.

FFA’s Head of Commercial, Digital and Marketing, Luke Bould, said securing FOX SPORTS as the inaugural broadcast partner of the e-League was a major milestone in the development of the competition.

“FOX SPORTS have been supporters of football for many years, and we’ve been working very closely with them to bring the e-League to life,” said Bould. “The e-League will connect an avid EA SPORTS™ FIFA 18 audience with the Hyundai A-League & Westfield W-League and is a first in the Australian sports industry.”

“We’re delighted to be able to take Australian football onto a new channel like Twitch, and we’re hoping to talk to new audiences around the world about the Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League, and the newly created e-League,” he said.

Meh, you can doubt esport all you want but the numbers are there for it. I just doubt whether FIFA is going to achieve a lot, who knows. I'm still under the assumption that no one involved in this actually knows about esports, seriously whys it on foxtel? Large part of esports success is that its streamed online for free. I also dont see what new fans you're going to get from it if it's on foxtel. Unless foxtel have paid a bunch of cash for it, in which case I guess it's fair enough.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Meh, you can doubt esport all you want but the numbers are there for it. I just doubt whether FIFA is going to achieve a lot, who knows. I'm still under the assumption that no one involved in this actually knows about esports, seriously whys it on foxtel? Large part of esports success is that its streamed online for free. I also dont see what new fans you're going to get from it if it's on foxtel. Unless foxtel have paid a bunch of cash for it, in which case I guess it's fair enough.

Not to mention that Fox sports key demographic are boomers 

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Also streamed on on twitch (?) Iirc.

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

Also streamed on on twitch (?) Iirc.

I missed that, going to be interesting to see how many viewers it gets.

TBH hard to know how it will go, but I do think this is doing more for the game FIFA than it is doing for the A-League.

11 hours ago, Tesla said:

I don't have any doubt that e-sports are and will continue to be popular. What I doubt is that there will be anything more than a very tenuous link - and that's if there is a link at all - between the success or otherwise of e-sports players attached to any A-League club and the actual football of that A-League club in terms of support, membership, attendances etc., and the success or otherwise of the A-League itself.

City already already does a great deal more than just field a team in the A-League. We have been very active in the community right from the beginnings of Melbourne Heart, and since then all that has been enhanced by being part of CFG (Citizens Giving, Young Leader etc.), and yet for a team based in a city the size of Melbourne our attendances are pretty poor.

I'm sceptical that FFA getting involved with e-sports is going to make any measurable difference to how the A-League is perceived and supported, and I will add that I'd rather FFA focus on, and make the necessary changes to, the League and its "rules" in order for the League and the game to grow rather than get side-tracked on to something I regard as peripheral.

13 hours ago, Tesla said:

Not so much about being sceptical, just saying I have no interest in it myself. 

• 7 months later...