Melbourne Football

Marcus Gomes MCFC eSport player

Dylan

38 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Hopefully he has the ability to play multiple consoles for when we convert him from PS to Xbox

I don't know his injury record, but I hope he doesnt suffer Carpel Tunnel and be out for a Germano because we have no cover in that position.

"City have been working with Gomes for a while now and as part of the contract have offered to fund his equipment and allow him to use the full range of facilities at the club's City Football Academy at La Trobe University, Bundoora."

More here: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/melbourne-city-sign-australias-best-fifa-esports-player-ahead-of-world-cup-in-london-20170815-gxwe2n.html

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

"City have been working with Gomes for a while now and as part of the contract have offered to fund his equipment and allow him to use the full range of facilities at the club's City Football Academy at La Trobe University, Bundoora."

More here: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/melbourne-city-sign-australias-best-fifa-esports-player-ahead-of-world-cup-in-london-20170815-gxwe2n.html

Yep. Another article here, for those who haven't seen it already:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/melbourne-city-sign-esports-fifa-gamer-marcus-gomes-days-before-millions-watch-him-at-fifa-interactive-world-cup/news-story/f7c4e0f5344e012168c53ffc968a5f81

17 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Yes, it's all about the bloody brand.

As a prominent investor in the OCE eSports scene, all I can say is this is pretty average TBH.

Sports clubs getting involved in esports is pretty common these days, partly because they will lose market share to esports, and partly because there is potential for synergies and cross promotion.

But when I see a soccer club sign a FIFA player, it shows a serious lack of research. I can just imagine the decision makers thinking "lets get into esports, oh yeah FIFA thats close enough to soccer lets do that'.

First of all, FIFA is not one of the big esport titles, and never will be because why the fuck would anyone watch people play FIFA when they can watch people play actual soccer? Games based on physical sports will never be the biggest esport games. So I don't see it as a strong game to invest in. As for the cross-promotion potential, there is a decent case there but you're sill better off going for a bigger game even though it might not be as closely linked to soccer.

The biggest investment from a soccer club into esports is FC Coppenhagen with their 'North' team in CSGO, and I think it's going to be a big success for them in the long run. They pay their CSGO players more than most their soccer players. Granted the team they acquired hasn't realised it's potential but still picking up a tier 1 CSGO team is a much better investment than picking up some FIFA player, both as an investment and for cross-promotion potential. Eg if 100,000 people care about competitive FIFA, and 90% of them care about soccer, that's 90,000 people, whereas if 10,000,000 care about competitive CSGO and 50% care about soccer that's 5,000,000 people.

Locally, the biggest investment has been the Adelaide Crows acquiring Legacy eSports who are the #2 esports organisations in Australia, mainly because they have a strong LoL team (biggest esport). Rumors are that the Giants are going to acquire Chiefs who are the #1 esports organisation in Australia (because they arent just big in LoL, but also #1 in CSGO which is second biggest esport n Australia).

The approach from FC Coppenhagen and the Adelaide Crows is much better tbh, just ditch the idea that investing in esports has to be linked to the sport your club plays and instead just focus on being a big esports brand in general.

OR you can go 50-50 like Valencia, who have a Rocket League team (car soccer game, reasonably big as an esport), have some sort of link to soccer but also an actual esport. Still better than just signing a FIFA player.

Honestly Melbourne City should just sign me as an eSports consultant, if they did so a month ago I could have easily acquired them the #1 Rocket League team in Australia for example, but they've been picked up by Chiefs now (I know the guy who facilitated the deal). Melbourne City could easily smash the local esports scene, only esport that's close to fully professional is LoL, after that you have the best CSGO team in Australia only getting a $200 a week per player salary for example.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Tesla said:

As a prominent investor in the OCE eSports scene, all I can say is this is pretty average TBH.

Sports clubs getting involved in esports is pretty common these days, partly because they will lose market share to esports, and partly because there is potential for synergies and cross promotion.

But when I see a soccer club sign a FIFA player, it shows a serious lack of research. I can just imagine the decision makers thinking "lets get into esports, oh yeah FIFA thats close enough to soccer lets do that'.

First of all, FIFA is not one of the big esport titles, and never will be because why the fuck would anyone watch people play FIFA when they can watch people play actual soccer? Games based on physical sports will never be the biggest esport games. So I don't see it as a strong game to invest in. As for the cross-promotion potential, there is a decent case there but you're sill better off going for a bigger game even though it might not be as closely linked to soccer.

The biggest investment from a soccer club into esports is FC Coppenhagen with their 'North' team in CSGO, and I think it's going to be a big success for them in the long run. They pay their CSGO players more than most their soccer players. Granted the team they acquired hasn't realised it's potential but still picking up a tier 1 CSGO team is a much better investment than picking up some FIFA player, both as an investment and for cross-promotion potential. Eg if 100,000 people care about competitive FIFA, and 90% of them care about soccer, that's 90,000 people, whereas if 10,000,000 care about competitive CSGO and 50% care about soccer that's 5,000,000 people.

Locally, the biggest investment has been the Adelaide Crows acquiring Legacy eSports who are the #2 esports organisations in Australia, mainly because they have a strong LoL team (biggest esport). Rumors are that the Giants are going to acquire Chiefs who are the #1 esports organisation in Australia (because they arent just big in LoL, but also #1 in CSGO which is second biggest esport n Australia).

The approach from FC Coppenhagen and the Adelaide Crows is much better tbh, just ditch the idea that investing in esports has to be linked to the sport your club plays and instead just focus on being a big esports brand in general.

OR you can go 50-50 like Valencia, who have a Rocket League team (car soccer game, reasonably big as an esport), have some sort of link to soccer but also an actual esport. Still better than just signing a FIFA player.

Honestly Melbourne City should just sign me as an eSports consultant, if they did so a month ago I could have easily acquired them the #1 Rocket League team in Australia for example, but they've been picked up by Chiefs now (I know the guy who facilitated the deal). Melbourne City could easily smash the local esports scene, only esport that's close to fully professional is LoL, after that you have the best CSGO team in Australia only getting a $200 a week per player salary for example.

I think I read somewhere that it's a CFG rule that all club endeavours have to be football related, but I might be making that up.

Also, how do I invest in esports? Sounds fun.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I think I read somewhere that it's a CFG rule that all club endeavours have to be football related, but I might be making that up.

Also, how do I invest in esports? Sounds fun.

How much do you want to invest?

And yes it is fun, even though it's going to be a money hole for a while.

1 hour ago, loriente said:

Dude got kicked out in the group stage. Nerves got the best of him and made too many defensive mistakes.

Welcome to Melbourne City!

Article is on fox sports if you're interested. 

Oh well, back to hanging out with Poindexter and his violin.

• Like 1