Melbourne Football

Welcome Bort 'We're outta licence plates' Schenkeveld

Dylan

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

In all seriousness, why would any professional footballer want to stay in a club that has failed players, members and supporters like our club has these last 2 seasons.

If I was Bart I would be running away as fast as I can.

He does talk about wanting to play to win - maybe he has realised it wont be achieved at City in his lifetime.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Jovan That doesn't quite make sense to me...what am I missing?

Basically he is out of contract.

His agent lets everyone know he is willing to move depending blah blah.

City get nervous and offer him a marquee deal.

Now at the start of this season I thought he should have been already in this situation, but now that we've got Maclaren that only leaves 1 available and obviously Bruno is history so Bart now makes his play.

We would nuts to allow him to go.

Happy for Bart to be marquee and MaClaren can be highest earner under the cap. That second marquee spot should go to a proven player in Europe or South America, a player who is a class above the rest of the team in an attacking creating role. He can do the work and Jamie Mac can score the tap ins.

Edited by Mr MO

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, malloy said:

This new independent A-League better push through a sizeable salary cap increase so that we can keep Bort.

It's already set at $3.2 million for every club next season except WU, so no big increase. They basically agreed to one more season of the current CBA whilst the negotiations were dragging on. Although I will say that we're able to pay quite a number of our younger players outside the cap due to some changes in this CBA extension, which means that their combined salaries total could be given to Bart inside the cap.

But I think he's pretty much gone, sadly. 

Edited by Harrison

Shame to see him go but I still maintain that we can win the league without him, especially with Windbichler. 

More important that we spend up on the midfield and attack. That’s where you win trophies.

Regardless, thanks for everything Bart. It was nice to see a proper defender perform at a high level week in, week out. 

• Like 1

FWIW it’s not great to lose him but he is well within his rights to want more money given how well he is performed. I also agree that you really wouldn’t want him as marquee (although I probably have said that we should on here in the past) 

just bad timing really. Give it another year and the cap would probably be gone

it was a beautiful thing whilst it lasted.  Everything he did, he did good; he made the shitkickers of the league (like Simon) look like fools they are, he wanted to win everything, he took no shit from anyone, helped Haz and Good develop further, was great to chat to after games and at events, and was a class above the league.  I only recall one genuine mistake in his time with us that cost us a goal.  Other than that, he was constantly in beast mode.

I really truly hope he doesnt play for another A-League club.

• Like 6

Going to miss his sideways passing.

He may have had bucket loads of the ball, however his effective passes % was probably the lowest in the league.

Would have liked to see him managed by a better manager to see how rounded he is as a player.

Good player but a bit over-rated tbh.

No big loss IMO but would have been nice to keep on a reasonable wage.

7 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Now watch Sydney announce Bart and they’ll become the most hated club in HAL

Well surely other teams will offer him the money he deserves, we rather spend our money unknown South American players it seems. Always a gamble with language and cultural differences. 

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

Going to miss his sideways passing.

He may have had bucket loads of the ball, however his effective passes % was probably the lowest in the league.

Would have liked to see him managed by a better manager to see how rounded he is as a player.

Good player but a bit over-rated tbh.

No big loss IMO but would have been nice to keep on a reasonable wage.

Are you talking about Bart or Baccus?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Well surely other teams will offer him the money he deserves, we rather spend our money unknown South American players it seems. Always a gamble with language and cultural differences. 

It's not that simple with a salary cap. We made it clear that we wanted to re-sign Bart, Brattan and Good, but in each case it is necessary to set an upper limit, above which you just cannot go or the the whole balance of what you want from the squad is disturbed. And some new players will already have been signed before the negotiations with other players are concluded, and you can't go back on those just because at the last moment you want to make a bigger offer to another player.

It's pretty obvious to me that we went as high as we could with Bart in the context of the squad as a whole, but he wanted more.

• Like 2