Melbourne Football

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

jeffplz

Since this rumour is gaining so much traction across so many different forms of media in the past few hours, I thought we should aggregate discussion here.

First heard by City insider @haz,

It began here, when Eurosport, Telegraph and Unibet writer Micheal Warrington stated our contract offer to the free agent:

After Troisi dogged us on his contract, why not flaunt our cash and true power and show the visit0rs who the true dedicated football team in Melbourne is?

We up the offer and are the most likely candidates-- his current state of health wouldn't last in the Superlig, Ligue 1 or Championship.

Thoughts?

#ComeToMelbourne

(threads on players generate more media, fan the flames lads)

Edited by jeffplz
  • Like 3

he is getting 11.4 millions euros a season. about 220k euros a week.  that's $320k a week.  even though he probably wouldnt get that again in england - that is the kind of money he would be offered in china or the msl.  at least.

is $16 million or so for one year a good investment?  it would easily double the crowds for the first half of the season and put us on the global map.  the dismal crowds are probably a bigger issue for CFG than winning the title.  

when you consider that CFG has already splurged half a billion dollars in the last couple months on english transfers, i could actually see this happening. the offer at least, im not sure if that would be enough for him. because it is basically retirement in a very small pond.

the thing holding us back is the league.  if it was a full league it would be more tempting for a big name like zlatan.  

Edited by nah brah

5 minutes ago, nah brah said:

he is getting 11.4 millions euros a season. about 220k euros a week.  that's $320k a week.  even though he probably wouldnt get that again in england - that is the kind of money he would be offered in china or the msl.  at least.

is $16 million or so for one year a good investment?  it would easily double the crowds for the first half of the season and put us on the global map.  the dismal crowds are probably a bigger issue for CFG than winning the title.  

when you consider that CFG has already splurged half a billion dollars in the last couple months on english transfers, i could actually see this happening. the offer at least, im not sure if that would be enough for him. because it is basically retirement in a very small pond.

the thing holding us back is the league.  if it was a full league it would be more tempting for a big name like zlatan.  

Unless you could sell it to him by making "him" the trailblazer to bring the Aleague to the next level.

But surely he'll go to the MLS, if he's not going to be ready until the start of next year then that would suit him better. Even Beckhams new team could use a massive name to give them a leg up.

now I do not believe for a second this rumor is credible at all.

But, I am waiting/expecting that sooner or later CFG will leverage both the USA/AU seasons/markets to sign a player that will be able to play 70% or less of games for NYC, then swing them to us after their season etc for a season or 2.

Now, Zlatan would fit the bill perfectly... playing say every second game for the remainder of the NYC season depending on injury status? then coming to us playing similar game time/off the bench etc depending on how his body holds up.

Just not sure why he would chose to do this now, when he still has the talent to continue in europe with teams such as Milan now after him.

Edited by CityHeart

24 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

now I do not believe for a second this rumor is credible at all.

But, I am waiting/expecting that sooner or later CFG will leverage both the USA/AU seasons/markets to sign a player that will be able to play 70% or less of games for NYC, then swing them to us after their season etc for a season or 2.

Now, Zlatan would fit the bill perfectly... playing say every second game for the remainder of the NYC season depending on injury status? then coming to us playing similar game time/off the bench etc depending on how his body holds up.

Just not sure why he would chose to do this now, when he still has the talent to continue in europe with teams such as Milan now after him.

He's recovering from an ACL and prob wont be ready until January. In which case 14 game guest stint could apply.

About as likely as finding a gold nugget in your turd tho i'd warrant.

35 years old? No thanks. What about Braedyn Crowley? Surely he has done enough in the NYL squad to warrant a chance with the seniors? I'm also sure there are some tallented young players in the NPL who would be worth a shot. I'm sick of this club targetting aging players. That's all we treat this league as, a bloody retirement home and I'm sick of it. First we lose the red and white, now we're seriously considering 35 year old marquees? This may well be the final straw for me. I am OUT.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

35 years old? No thanks. What about Braedyn Crowley? Surely he has done enough in the NYL squad to warrant a chance with the seniors? I'm also sure there are some tallented young players in the NPL who would be worth a shot. I'm sick of this club targetting aging players. That's all we treat this league as, a bloody retirement home and I'm sick of it. First we lose the red and white, now we're seriously considering 35 year old marquees? This may well be the final straw for me. I am OUT.

A couple of weeks ago (??) there was a post suggesting that the signing of Crowley would be announced the following day. I think he will be signed,  and possibly he already has but it hasn't been announced officially.

When he signed originally it was for two seasons as a Scholarship Player (see http://www.a-league.com.au/article/melbourne-city-signs-teenage-striker-braedyn-crowley/1ddqjr79ogeh81on76nqx6tiiu) but we have since signed 6 more. We are allowed 6 such players outside the cap, so IMO one of them must come inside it. IMO that is/will be Crowley. @GreenSeater

5 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

www.sportbible.com/football/transfers-news-another-premier-league-club-are-targeting-a-move-for-zlatan-20170805.amp.html

I'll just drop this here..........

😎

thisphantomfortress already dropped it first,

Edited by DFG_82