Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Matchday Thread

Dylan

6 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Chanting "Hellas Hellas" throughout the match. Yep! Definitely what the A-league needs. In ya go.

I get amused when Hellas is brought up and they say," oh that changed years ago". As if just (slightly) changing the name changes the culture and suddenly makes the club multi-cultural. Going to take years.

2,600 was the crowd, seats up the front were wet and many decided to stand up the back of the grand stand instead, 2nd largest crowd between 2 npl clubs in the ffa cup and I believe the largest in the round of 32, fair effort, home tie against an A league side would be very interesting,

19 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

2,600 was the crowd, seats up the front were wet and many decided to stand up the back of the grand stand instead, 2nd largest crowd between 2 npl clubs in the ffa cup and I believe the largest in the round of 32, fair effort, home tie against an A league side would be very interesting,

Meh, for a club who's supporters keep telling us they'll out-pull City in their first year i'm not that impressed at all tbh. City v Sydney in Ballarat pulled 2900 on a 2 degree night fwiw.

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

Meh, for a club who's supporters keep telling us they'll out-pull City in their first year i'm not that impressed at all tbh. City v Sydney in Ballarat pulled 2900 on a 2 degree night fwiw.

City v Sydney with 22 pro players on the field valued at millions compared with 2 current npl clubs of semi pros is hardly a realistic comparison. Would city v edgeworth have attracted a larger crowd last night if played at aami park? Doubt it. Which is why I laugh when people take the on field component of the ffa cup so seriously, as if any of those south players from last night would ever feature in a south A league team. They're are npl players for a reason.

1 minute ago, Geo400 said:

City v Sydney with 22 pro players on the field valued at millions compared with 2 current npl clubs of semi pros is hardly a realistic comparison. Would city v edgeworth have attracted a larger crowd last night if played at aami park? Doubt it. Which is why I laugh when people take the on field component of the ffa cup so seriously, as if any of those south players from last night would ever feature in a south A league team. They're are npl players for a reason.

I'm 100% City v anyone in a competitive game at AAMI would have got more. Prob around 4-4.5k imo.

I get the quality thing you are saying, but i also think thats a bit of a jump to say that they'd get x amount more if they were in the top div. They might well, but imo a lot of South fans think they have all these chickens in the bag before theyve hatched yet. You're 100% with onfield thing, I'm more commenting on the off-field, which imo is very underwhelming for a club that is making a concerted effort as to why they should be admitted to the A-League.

Put these current south players in city shirts and it would be lucky to be 1200. I was there last year at the wanderers game the cahill debut..slightly over 5k. South would get over 5k against wanderers with its current scrubs let alone if they had name players.

Basically lets just wait for a potential encounter with an A league team and then judge.

6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

South has got their local Melbourne Forum spinners out

Couldn't even care less at this stage. They can claim they're as big as they want, but the simple fact of the matter is that in the current Australian football landscape they're pretty much irrelevant.

8 minutes ago, Embee said:

Couldn't even care less at this stage. They can claim they're as big as they want, but the simple fact of the matter is that in the current Australian football landscape they're pretty much irrelevant.

Ultimately this is the problem with Australian football, not enough clubs are relevant , even some that are in the A league now, and the ffa are sending the code as a whole down the path of boring oblivion, at least last night was refreshing, I mean all the cup games not just the south one. And South aren't irrelevant in Victoria, they top the league in every age group from juniors, women's team right up to the men's seniors. They would be even more dominant if the npl didn't have a cap which means they are forced to play sh1tcvnts like Matt Millar.

8 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

Ultimately this is the problem with Australian football, not enough clubs are relevant , even some that are in the A league now, and the ffa are sending the code as a whole down the path of boring oblivion, at least last night was refreshing, I mean all the cup games not just the south one. And South aren't irrelevant in Victoria, they top the league in every age group from juniors, women's team right up to the men's seniors. They would be even more dominant if the npl didn't have a cap which means they are forced to play sh1tcvnts like Matt Millar.

9/10 football fans in this country (and even that might be too low) couldn't give a toss about South Melbourne and probably couldn't even name more than 1 of their players, they're irrelevant. Other team's have won the NPL outside of South in the last few years, they don't have some kind of almighty strangle-hold that's never broken.

Great, if the A-League didn't have a cap we'd probably be dominant too, but we it does and we aren't, so tough luck really.

Edited by Embee

3 hours ago, Embee said:

9/10 football fans in this country (and even that might be too low) couldn't give a toss about South Melbourne and probably couldn't even name more than 1 of their players, they're irrelevant. Other team's have won the NPL outside of South in the last few years, they don't have some kind of almighty strangle-hold that's never broken.

Great, if the A-League didn't have a cap we'd probably be dominant too, but we it does and we aren't, so tough luck really.

Most football fans in this country are eurosnobs who would struggle to name you an A league player let alone someone from the npl. You only have to see the crowds the exhibition games get with touring teams to see where the real interest is. I took a mate to our game against sydney fc last year and he asked me why del piero wasnt playing lol.

1 minute ago, Geo400 said:

Most football fans in this country are eurosnobs who would struggle to name you an A league player let alone someone from the npl. You only have to see the crowds the exhibition games get with touring teams to see where the real interest is. I took a mate to our game against sydney fc last year and he asked me why del piero wasnt playing lol.

The point remains true though.

10 hours ago, Geo400 said:

You're Greek obviously. Bottom line: shithouse crowd and chanting "Hellas Hellas" all night. Stay where you belong Sth Melbourne. Right in the VPL. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, n i k o said:

Not according to south supporters

South fans get offended by the idea that the club can't be Australian because it was formed by Greek migrants half a century ago. I'm not Greek and I've been a fan since the early 90s, people love and respect the history of the joint, it is what it is, it doesn't have to define the future though. I remember waking up on those mornings in 2000 when south were in the world club championships and the games were televised on sbs, the commentators always referred to the club as Australian, I recall a south official actually trying to explain the clubs origins to the local media over there and the response was basically "Yeh nice history but your still Aussies". The club is often accused of being self hating Greeks and selling out its heritage, that couldn't be further from the truth,  it's simply a natural change as generations pass.

Great result for Heidelberg last night, dominated the game and are clearly the best team in Victoria as of this moment, ever since south smashed them at aami park in June they have been on a great run.

Edited by Geo400
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Geo400 said:

South fans get offended by the idea that the club can't be Australian because it was formed by Greek migrants half a century ago. I'm not Greek and I've been a fan since the early 90s, people love and respect the history of the joint, it is what it is, it doesn't have to define the future though. I remember waking up on those mornings in 2000 when south were in the world club championships and the games were televised on sbs, the commentators always referred to the club as Australian, I recall a south official actually trying to explain the clubs origins to the local media over there and the response was basically "Yeh nice history but your still Aussies". The club is often accused of being self hating Greeks and selling out its heritage, that couldn't be further from the truth,  it's simply a natural change as generations pass.

Great result for Heidelberg last night, dominated the game and are clearly the best team in Victoria as of this moment, ever since south smashed them at aami park in June they have been on a great run.

You know most people just give it to South because they are so easily rustled right? For example its rare you see other ex-NSL club fans posting on  other forums about why they should be let into the league etc.

I don't think most people actually give a fuck what their roots are, other than to say there are plenty of people that don't want a return to the off-field turmoil of NSL days.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1