Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Pre-Season Friendlies 2017

DFG_82

I wassnt there, but I am going to assume that was very much a cannons bside? Who is going to give us an honest assessment for us shit fans who didnt go even when they live in Melbourne, or us bumpkin plebs who dont live in Melbourne??

Edited by Dylan

6 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I stood right behind Wazza and the bench last night, I can agree with comments regarding his constant communication with the players YES he was wearing shorts

every kick off was greeted by Wazza commanding the players to get on the ball and win it back

I was surprised that it was only at around the 30min mark that he dropped the first F bomb, must have been on his best behaviour

all I can say is that there will be no passengers in the team, no one strolling around the park. Every player got a serve from Wazza at some stage( that said he was very positive when player did as requested)

the first 10 mins was a hard fought tussle, we took total control after that, which was to be expected

Some really nice one  touches and interplay , to be expected against "lower class" opposition, how will this translate against A league Teams?

Even in this environment Deano managed to make some fuckups

I have a quick chat with Eugene , He will starting the next pre season match, I mentioned to him that I hope he hasn't come to us to sit on the bench.

it was nice to see the lads back in action

oh yes , it was good to see Jako with the arm band, no disrespect to Bruno but I reckon it will free him up to play "his game"

Good review. The gaffer sounds like he's winning a few people over with his approach which is great. Good to see the likes of Bratts and Manny put in good shifts. If Wazza can get the best out of those two imo we're very strongly placed, particularly with Franjic gone now. 

10 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

We were discussing this in the car on the way home. It was crazy the desire they showed to win  the ball from the kick off. 

Special mention to Oakleighs 2nd keeper, sign him up! 

yes I heard the chant !

good on him , he saved one from Killer

Definitely a small sample size but from a personality stand-point he seems to be everything we've wanted to see from a coach in the past. Loved his insistence on us winning the ball back immediately from every kick-off, was still screaming about it when they were kicking off after the 10th.

Team looked full of energy and very fit which is a good sign this early in the pre-season. Keen for next Tuesday's game.

29 minutes ago, Dylan said:

https://t.co/FIn254WOHc

what formation was used?

pretty much 4 3 3

but everybody was commanded to work and fill space when we didn't have the ball

Killer was his normal self, dropping back into a back 3 , when the FB's bombed forward

I know that the opposition was not A League, but I'm thinking Jamo will be a a good fit to our puzzle. The way he pushed forward,  hope springs eternal

i was impressed by young Denis Genreau, good work on and off the ball

The best pre-season match I've been to. Wazza has certainly made a difference. Had this been under any of our previous coaches we would have got to 3-0 and then stuffed around playing the ball backwards and sideways from then on.

IMO an ideal first-up match. Oakleigh played their part, for the first 20 minutes they had us at full stretch and could so easily have pulled it back to 1-1 with a good free-kick. However, once we got up to the pace of the game we just rolled over the top, wave after wave of players coming forward with the ball. The mistakes we made were the usual ones - getting caught too far up-field on a couple of occasions, and buggering about with the ball at the back instead of clearing it cleanly - but judging by the reports of Wazza's language he's jumping on that quickly. Otherwise, terrific intensity, good ball movement, lots of nice flicks and dinks, 1-2 passes and a few neat back-heels, all to set up someone for the shot.

Only players I thought weren't quite as dominant as they should have been were Malik and Caceres.

Very good move to give the arm-band to Jakobsen. Bruno is a different player without it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

I only stayed for the first half, but everyone's new favourite player, Caceres, didn't seem to do a whole lot while I was there.

I was there for the whole game. Your comment about Caceres is untrue and pathetic. First game of a pre season and already unfairly bagging our most technical player. There were others that did a lot less but it would be stupid to judge them on the first 45 mins of a pre season friendly . Cas, who played out of position ( left wing), did as good as everyone else in the first half of the first game of a pre season FFS!! He was involved and when on the ball he showed his quality.

Btw, you're an idiot !!  You should have stayed for the whole game like real fans do. Second half he was all class-ceres. Flicks, dribbles, beautiful passing and a great goal.

Overall I thought most of the players looked sharp and by the looks of it, fitness will be much better than last season. The opposition did not offer much quality or resistance to our professionals but  credit to City who did what everyone expected.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

I was there for the whole game. Your comment about Caceres is untrue and pathetic. First game of a pre season and already unfairly bagging our most technical player. There were others that did a lot less but it would be stupid to judge them on the first 45 mins of a pre season friendly . Cas, who played out of position ( left wing), did as good as everyone else in the first half of the first game of a pre season FFS!! He was involved and when on the ball he showed his quality.

Btw, you're an idiot !!  You should have stayed for the whole game like real fans do. Second half he was all class-ceres. Flicks, dribbles, beautiful passing and a great goal.

Overall I thought most of the players looked sharp and by the looks of it, fitness will be much better than last season. The opposition did not offer much quality or resistance to our professionals but  credit to City who did what everyone expected.

How did you rate Wazza btw?

4 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

The real test will come when we come up against a team that uses a midfield press, last season we turned over the ball far too often in midfield and this was one of our biggest problems as it created constant pressure for our defenders who were often out of position in transition. We won't get that tested against NPL level opponents. Encouragingly in the few highlight clips I've seen we appeared to have better movement off the ball allowing us to continue to pass forward rather than resetting back to the keeper all the time

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Let me break this down;

- joined forum January 2016

- has number 10 in name

- most posts are defending Anthony Caceres

YOU ARE CACERES!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rass said:

How did you rate Wazza btw?

The game and result didn't allow him to worry too much during the 90 mins but there were instances where he showed that he means business. I like his coaching style.

4 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Let me break this down;

- joined forum January 2016

- has number 10 in name

- most posts are defending Anthony Caceres

YOU ARE CACERES!

You're too smart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

The game and result didn't allow him to worry too much during the 90 mins but there were instances where he showed that he means business. I like his coaching style.

What about when he sprayed Caceres for fluffing that chance from the penalty spot?

That was good

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAM10 said:

Thanks.

Probably sound like a smart arse here but i find it interesting that you can claim Caceres was played out of position yet you liked his coaching style. Not so long ago this would have been a great excuse to get stuck into the manager for just about everyone on here. 

• Like 1

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

I've been known to successfully expose conspiracies.

You bloody mejicano. You got me gringo.

Just now, rass said:

Thanks.

Probably sound like a smart arse here but i find it interesting that you can claim Caceres was played out of position yet you liked his coaching style. Not so long ago this would have been a great excuse to get stuck into the manager for just about everyone on here. 

Caceres is a midfielder by nature but I also believe that he can do the job on the wing if provided with good service. Being an attacker you depend a lot on what's behind you.

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Everyone knows the moon landings happened but it was the tapes that are faked because of the radiation coming from Mar's moon Phobos destroyed them, duh.

I thought the Moon Landings were just behind the scenes of RHCP 'Give it Away' music video?

2 hours ago, DAM10 said:

I am not an idiot and the reason I posted my "pathetic and untrue" comment is because I'm absolutely perplexed as how Anthony Caceres has gained popularity within this forum on the back of doing absolutely in two seasons of football. 

Caceres was one of the only players, alongside Malik, who I noticed not doing a thing in that first half. Even Muscat got plenty of  time on the ball and looked like a technical genius against the opposition. Really, it was the type of opposition against which Caceres' technicality should have shined and made him look like Messi. Yes I know he was played out of position on the left wing, but everyone else looked great and had a lot more posession and space.

My opinion of Caceres won't change until he does something. Anything.

The reason I didn't stay second half is obvious. I saw the full strength side go out in the first half and get a decent run. I didn't think there was much to gain from staying and watching our kids play against their kids. Plus it was cold and I was on my own and live in Heathcote.

1 hour ago, AlexDaGroza said:

Tbh i thought caceres was playing no. 10? Genreau was out wide on the left wing. At times Genreau cut into the middle and Caceres got the ball out on the left plenty of times.

That was my impression too. But we were very fluid, with some lovely little slick passing movements, making it hard to be too definitive.