Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Pre-Season Friendlies 2017

DFG_82

36 minutes ago, InMyHeart said:

This is why I haven't bought a membership yet... we are looking hopeless this preseason

Watch Bort Dominate when he plays 90

5 hours ago, n i k o said:

Bouzanis

muscat tongyik jakobsen jamieson

Second half change Bort on for Tongyik. 

Hmmm hoping we will see a Bort and Jakobsen partnership this season, even a back 3 with Tongyik or La Rocca

Jets hand City first loss of pre-season

By Staff Writer Aug 23 2017 4:38PM
By Staff Writer
Aug 23 2017 4:38PM

Newcastle Jets have handed Melbourne City their first loss of the pre-season in a behind closed doors friendly.

The Jets came out on top 3-1 in the Bundoora friendly on Wednesday afternoon.

Joe Champness opened the scoring for the Jets mid-way through the first half before quick-fire goals extended their lead. 

New signing Roy O'Donovan and Andrew Nabbout scored within three minutes of each other to see the Jets leading 3-0 at the break. 

Michael Jakobsen pulled one back from a corner 10 minutes into the second half, but the Jets held out to seal the win. 

“It was an impressive performance, we had a few guys miss out through illness and injury but overall there were some great signs for our squad,” Merrick told the Jets website.

“We faced a quality club in Melbourne City, who fielded a strong starting side and our boys were able to put them under pressure and take advantage of some goal scoring opportunities.

“Roy (O’Donovan), Joey (Champness) and Andrew (Nabbout) were outstanding up front and were the beneficiaries of some quality service through the midfield.

“Our front third has been a real focus for us and the movement and finishing of our attacking players was top class today – testimony to the boys work in training so far this pre-season.

“Nikolai (Topor-Stanley) and Nigel (Boogaard) were immense at the back and were able to handle an attacking onslaught from City in the second half.

“All in all, this is a pre-season clash and while it’s a pleasing result, we’ve still got a lot to work on before season kick-off on October 7.” 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/jets-hand-city-first-loss-of-pre-season-471561

8 hours ago, IssySG said:

Can someone explain to me why City have worn our away strip at both games we hosted against Mariners and Jets? Are we just waiting for an FFA Cup game at home to debut the new blue kit?

As they're the ones we wore in the cup I'd imagine they'd all have names and numbers on them already and wouldn't need to be re-printed

8 hours ago, IssySG said:

Can someone explain to me why City have worn our away strip at both games we hosted against Mariners and Jets? Are we just waiting for an FFA Cup game at home to debut the new blue kit?

Rumour going around that the sky blue hasn't been cleared by the ffa and that we're going to have to go back to the blue and white (or red and white) 

Watch this space

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

No one cares about this round @Dylan, wait for South vs Melb City

What are you saying it will be a good game?

The only interesting thing about it, is the amount of goals we will smash them by to show them how far behind A league standard they really are.

I think the game last night between tards and reds was a great game to watch btw.

11 hours ago, IssySG said:

Because Cahill and La Rocca gave away all the home kits at the airport. 

Can someone post the latest instagram from the club.

11 hours ago, IssySG said:

Does this really matter? Personally I'm more concerned about the results against two teams widely tipped to be bottom four.

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Does this really matter? Personally I'm more concerned about the results against two teams widely tipped to be bottom four.

I'm not concerned at all about the results. Performance yes. Individual performances and roles yes. Actual setup and formation yes. Movement on and off the ball yes. Physical workloads and conditioning absolutely but the end result and score not at all.

• Like 1

That's a pretty fine distinction to draw IMO. Don't all the former add up to the latter? But I'm sure that we agree that Wazza is testing and experimenting at this stage of the pre-season and that there's plenty of time to him to work out what we have to do for the season proper. But my main point was that the bloody kit we wear in these closed-door matches is of zero importance.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I reckon Newcastle are going to be decent this season and get into the top 6. Tips made at this time are really just based on reputations imo

3 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I reckon Newcastle are going to be decent this season and get into the top 6. Tips made at this time are really just based on reputations imo

I agree, I believe people here underestimating how decent other teams have recruited this off season, in Adelaide, WSW and Jets

Just now, jw1739 said:

If we look at the games closer the one against CCM we had Tongyik and Malik in at CB. This is by far our weakest pairing and wouldn't be any better caliber than CCM caliber of players. Muscat is relatively serviceable at best but then when you line up Muscat, Tongyik and Malik in our defensive line then that would be IMO one of the weakest defensive lines in the league. 

Our first half yesterday against Newy was a head scratcher. We just didn't step up for whatever reason. Our second half was the best half I've seen from us for a long time. Now questions can be asked whether Newy being 3-0 up meant they dropped their intensity levels but we were certainly better in that half. 

If we have both our visa CB playing we instantly have a very strong defensive line. Brattan was immense in the second half yesterday. If he could produce roughly close to that perfomance each game he will be a BIG cog in our success. Another thing we're all aware of is our number 10 position, we need someone there. My only other concern is our wing. Kamau just isn't cutting it. So we desperately need Fernando back. If we can sort out all these positions mentioned and those players perfom to the level they're capable of then I'm not concerned about the last two friendlies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's a pretty fine distinction to draw IMO. Don't all the former add up to the latter? But I'm sure that we agree that Wazza is testing and experimenting at this stage of the pre-season and that there's plenty of time to him to work out what we have to do for the season proper. But my main point was that the bloody kit we wear in these closed-door matches is of zero importance.

Very true I misread your initial point.

17 minutes ago, n i k o said:

If we look at the games closer the one against CCM we had Tongyik and Malik in at CB. This is by far our weakest pairing and wouldn't be any better caliber than CCM caliber of players. Muscat is relatively serviceable at best but then when you line up Muscat, Tongyik and Malik in our defensive line then that would be IMO one of the weakest defensive lines in the league. 

Our first half yesterday against Newy was a head scratcher. We just didn't step up for whatever reason. Our second half was the best half I've seen from us for a long time. Now questions can be asked whether Newy being 3-0 up meant they dropped their intensity levels but we were certainly better in that half. 

If we have both our visa CB playing we instantly have a very strong defensive line. Brattan was immense in the second half yesterday. If he could produce roughly close to that perfomance each game he will be a BIG cog in our success. Another thing we're all aware of is our number 10 position, we need someone there. My only other concern is our wing. Kamau just isn't cutting it. So we desperately need Fernando back. If we can sort out all these positions mentioned and those players perfom to the level they're capable of then I'm not concerned about the last two friendlies. 

Good post. Did Bort play at CB or RB yesterday?

45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Not really, I was just curious and thought someone might know - thought this seemed as good a place as any to ask?

8 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

@n i k o what exactly was brattan doing well? was he pulling a mooy job?

His intensity and ball winning ability. His biggest limitation IMO are those areas. It was here that he was immense in the second half, constantly going into tackles hard and breaking down the Jets forward plays. It's my beleif that to do this you have to play with high intensity (you can't go into tackles hard without it IMO). Looking deeper in regards to Brattans personality I wonder if this is the cross road he has to come to everytime to play his best everytime. He does 'appear' to coast during games at times. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Originalmeme said:

straight switch arzani for kamau, the kid is going to conquer the league if he gets time

exactly this.

Kamau is rubbish and has had enough chances. Sick of wasting time and effort with this bloke.

Arzani and Cavallo need to be on the pitch as by the looks of it they are a class above Kamau, and if they can prove themselves in the senior team by January, then piss off Kamau and sign these two up on a 2 year deal.

• Sad 1

Thank goodness we're back to talking football again! Thank you @Niko for the reports on the matches at CFA and the insights therefrom.

I'm confident Wazza is going to sort all this out. It might take him a while to do it, and I'm prepared to keep the faith and give him that time.

I don't think the Walkerist movement is in swing just yet nor is there any talk of him being the next great thing.  I'm advocating Arzani only because I don't see Kamau as being any better and in fact Arzani has proven to be much more effective with the ball so far this last week. Get the best players on the pitch. If it happens to be a young player cause he's earned it then so be it. 

• Like 2