Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Pre-Season Friendlies 2017

DFG_82

3 hours ago, haz said:

I hope you all know that @Shahanga was talking shit.

Well if they think Greek constitution workers yell out accurate inside info on multi million dollar business deals  then I wish them well. 

Ki would never have a trial but signing him (one of the best players in Asia) for the required multi million fee would certainly turn the A league upside down. I dream of the day when players of his calibre are brought in.

14 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well if they think Greek constitution workers yell out accurate inside info on multi million dollar business deals  then I wish them well. 

Ki would never have a trial but signing him (one of the best players in Asia) for the required multi million fee would certainly turn the A league upside down. I dream of the day when players of his calibre are brought in.

Do I classify as a Greek construction worker?

Edited by Inferno

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-season Report: City 3-2 Central Coast

Melbourne City has continued its pre-season preparations behind closed doors on Wednesday, defeating the Central Coast Mariners 3-2 at City Football Academy, Melbourne.

Goals from the starting forward trio of Nick Fitzgerald, Bruno Fornaroli and Daniel Arzani secured the result in the see-sawing affair as Andrew Hoole’s brace headlined the visitors performance, going agonising close to completing his hat-trick.

The sides battled it out in a modified time format with one 45 minute and two 30 minute periods in blustery conditions in Bundoora and the contest began with both sides looking to feel their way into the match.

As the tempo picked up, it was City who were to make the first blow, finding the back of the net after 11 minutes quite fortunately through Arzani. The winger’s dangerous run was honoured by a wonderfully clipped through ball by Fitzgerald, with Mariners keeper Ben Kennedy fumbling the awkward pick-up into the path of on-coming forward, finishing into an open net

City began on the front foot in the second stanza with an early chance to Fornaroli stinging the palms of Tom Glover but that effort would be a precursor to City restoring their lead after 53 minutes.The Mariners didn’t let the early set-back halt their possessional play and were rewarded after 23 minutes as a line-splitting through ball from Liam Rose found Hoole with acres of space through the City defence. The talented midfielder made no mistake with the finish, slotting low, past Dean Bouzanis' outstretched left foot.

A brilliant combination between Fornaroli and Fitzgerald saw the latter played in to the penalty area as the forward performed a signature cut onto his left foot before finishing at the far post.

Warren Joyce’s side would be pegged back again minutes later as a cynical foul on Josh Bingham by Osama Malik on the edge of the area opened the door for Hoole to show his set piece arsenal.

The midfielder opted to strike towards the keeper’s side with Bouzanis beaten in the bottom corner by the low, powerful free-kick.

City would find the winner after 61 minutes as Scott Jamieson’s quick free-kick played Fornaroli through with two defenders to beat in the forward half. City’s number 23 teased his way past both Mariners stoppers, finishing with aplomb past Glover.

The visitors had the chance to tie the match for the third time minutes before the end of the second period as Luke Brattan fouled Bingham in the penalty area, seeing Hoole step up to the spot.

The former Newcastle Jet crashed his effort into the crossbar, with the follow up scrambled away by the City defence, seeing Warren Joyce’s side ride out the final period and maintain their unbeaten pre-season.

Central Coast Mariners - 2 (Hoole 23', 55')Melbourne City FC - 3 (Arzani 11', Fitzgerald 53', Fornaroli 61')

Melbourne City FC
Starting lineup: 1.Dean BOUZANIS, 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN

Bench: 18.Yaren SOZER, 12.Braedyn CROWLEY, 15.Denis GENREAU, 17.Tim CAHILL, 32.Christian CAVALLO, 35.Ramy NAJJARINE, 36.Dylan PIERIAS, 37.Nathaniel ATKINSON

Central Coast Mariners
Starting lineup: 1.Ben KENNEDY, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Anthony GOLEC, 15.Alan BARO, 4.Jake MCGING, 6.Tom HIARIEJ, 16.Liam ROSE, 7.Andrew HOOLE, 12.Trent BUHAGIAR, 11. Connor PAIN, 17.Josh BINGHAM

Bench: 20.Tom GLOVER, 13.Kwabenea APPIAH, 23.Wout BRAMA, 21.Kai ROWLES, 8.Michael STOJANOVSKI, 10.Daniel DE SILVA, 14.Adam BERRY, 2.Storm ROUX

Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/pre-season-report-city-3-2-central-coastpre-season-report-city-3-2-central-coast/17bk1ol268az71bd9idqhwhllj#hJdYxRUB2UP13JSc.99

Edited by Forever City

1 minute ago, InMyHeart said:

Starting lineup: 1.Dean BOUZANIS, 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Scott JAMIESON, 6.Osama MALIK, 7.Nick FITZGERALD, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN

Thats a very weak line up

Well its not. But its not full strength either.

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Why did we sign Galekovic if he's not going to be the no. 1 'keeper? You don't need a GK of his pedigree to be the no. 2.

He wasnt even on the bench so i wouldnt read too much into it tbh. It will be interesting to see what Joyce does when it comes to picking his GK's though, I'll back his fresh eyes tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Why did we sign Galekovic if he's not going to be the no. 1 'keeper? You don't need a GK of his pedigree to be the no. 2.

A staff member (not playing staff) told me Eugene was signed to be number 1. Make of it what you will.

My biggest take out from this game is Joyce has continued with his grueling fitness regime making them play 105 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

A staff member (not playing staff) told me Eugene was signed to be number 1. Make of it what you will.

My biggest take out from this game is Joyce has continued with his grueling fitness regime making them play 105 minutes.

I'm still unclear what our thinking is with GKs. We sign Bouzanis for 3 years, and then sign Galekovic as a No. 1? I can't see an awful lot of difference between them. We could have used the "Mature Aged Rookie" position outside the cap to sign a perfectly good no. 2.

I'd say wazza likes a cb or gk as captain. I'm largely of the opinion that they have the best view of the game and can be the most objective.With Ruon 'I concede two a game' Tongyik and Dean 'cray cray' Bouzanis as two of those three positions it really only left Malik to captain. I fully expect the armband to go to Eugene or Jacobsen when they are on the park.

57 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

I'd say wazza likes a cb or gk as captain. I'm largely of the opinion that they have the best view of the game and can be the most objective.With Ruon 'I concede two a game' Tongyik and Dean 'cray cray' Bouzanis as two of those three positions it really only left Malik to captain. I fully expect the armband to go to Eugene or Jacobsen when they are on the park.

Its Jakobsen.

• Like 1

90% of Wazzas feedback from the sidelines was to close opponents down quicker, tackle harder and run faster. Points worth mentioning...Brattan played behind Kilkenny as DM, Malik played CB, Arzani was most impressive in first half in attack, we weren't very fluent holding possession in the middle to attacking third of the pitch.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, n i k o said:

90% of Wazzas feedback from the sidelines was to close opponents down quicker, tackle harder and run faster. Points worth mentioning...Brattan played behind Kilkenny as DM, Malik played CB, Arzani was most impressive in first half in attack, we weren't very fluent holding possession in the middle to attacking third of the pitch.  

Is there a chance Arzani starts this season? I know we have Mauk and we are looking for a marquee number 10 but wasn't Arzani regarded as a serious young talent? Maybe he takes a big step this season and breaks into the first team.

4 hours ago, Harrison said:

Is there a chance Arzani starts this season? I know we have Mauk and we are looking for a marquee number 10 but wasn't Arzani regarded as a serious young talent? Maybe he takes a big step this season and breaks into the first team.

I hope so. He's been impressive for the times he's started. I'd look to include him post first derby to allow him a lot of smaller games to establish himself. But let's just say that if was Kamau I'd be looking over my shoulder. 

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I hope so. He's been impressive for the times he's started. I'd look to include him post first derby to allow him a lot of smaller games to establish himself. But let's just say that if was Kamau I'd be looking over my shoulder. 

So is he actually at Kamua level or better? 

I've never really seen him play much.

47 minutes ago, Jovan said:

So is he actually at Kamua level or better? 

I've never really seen him play much.

Better hope so, early signs are that Kamau hasn't made much progress he will be one of those forever talent players in some people's mind. Love to see Arzani having a crack as you won't win the league with Kamau in your starting eleven. Brandan will miss the first 5 rounds or so.