Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Pre-Season Friendlies 2017

DFG_82

With all respect to Oakleigh, this sort of game tells us very little and does little to prepare the team for a new A League season. Hopefully the rest of the pre-season is a little more ambitious. Heart pre-seasons used to consist of games that smashed NPL teams but really ill-prepared the team

I hope 

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

With all respect to Oakleigh, this sort of game tells us very little and does little to prepare the team for a new A League season. Hopefully the rest of the pre-season is a little more ambitious. Heart pre-seasons used to consist of games that smashed NPL teams but really ill-prepared the team

With respect bela I'm not sure the Hesrt comment is true. I remember under "John Lee Hooker" (mr lucky) we struggled to win games like this 1-0.

Having said that i would be interested to know if Oakley are playing their best side.

33 minutes ago, AlexDaGroza said:

Some points from the game today:

The fact that we played almost a full strength XI really impressed me. Alot of pre season games we seem to field lots of trialists and younger players and to see Wazza field such a strong team I feel shows that he means buisness. Additionally the fact that he made his subs so late in the game, i think players are really going to have to work hard for minutes.

Really liked how vocal Warren Joyce was throughout. Could hear him getting angry when players tried to do too much. "Stop showboating" directed to Luke Brattan was a highlight. Was barking instructions to players the whole game.

Jakobsen with the arm band a solid choice. Extremely vocal on the pitch. Massive positive. Hope he keeps the arm band for the season.

Bruno scored 5, and assisted a few. Was a lot less selfish then from last season. Did miss a few easy chances and got annoyed with himself which i liked to see him wanting more from himself.

Jamo got forward well i think. Felt at times was missing the final ball however. Solid not spectacular. Hopefully just pre season rust.

Genreau was very positive and watching him was a highlight for me. Looked very dangerous when taking players on and running on to balls.

Souvas 10/10. Need some heart burn tablets now though. Too much garlic and onion gets me every time.

All good to read, especially giving the armband to Jakobsen

• Like 1

Wazza didnt stop barking instructions for 90 minutes and was constantly ordering the players to work harder. Such a pleasant change from van schip & valkanis. Oakleigh had 6 regular starters in the first half and then a youth team for second half. I thought city played a high tempo game and always looked to create chances. Wazza's game style didnt come across as negative or defensive. The souvs are always good at oakleigh and will be just as good at bentleigh greens next tuesday.

2 hours ago, 3 Points said:

I want to know how vocal and animated Wazza is

I wouldn't say animated but he was VERY vocal. 

My biggest take away from this game is everyone is looking very fit, even fatten. I spoke to a staff member while I was leaving who said wazza has them working ver hard on fitness.

can also confirm shorts 

image.thumb.jpeg.7641e592ed36a9248f3772719690f87d.jpeg

• Like 6

I think this game was an example of high possession done well, upon every Oakleigh kick-off the order would be for everyone to win the ball back as soon as possible. Obviously it'll be harder against A-league opponents but I started counting every time they had a kickoff and we literally won it back within 5 seconds every time

2 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I think this game was an example of high possession done well, upon every Oakleigh kick-off the order would be for everyone to win the ball back as soon as possible. Obviously it'll be harder against A-league opponents but I started counting every time they had a kickoff and we literally won it back within 5 seconds every time

We were discussing this in the car on the way home. It was crazy the desire they showed to win  the ball from the kick off. 

Special mention to Oakleighs 2nd keeper, sign him up! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Our team is in for tonight's first pre-season friendly against Oakleigh Cannons, kick-off 7.30pm

City XI | Bouzanis, Muscat, Jamieson, Malik, Fitzgerald, Kilkenny, Caceres, Jakobsen, Fornaroli, Brattan, Genreau

Subs | Galekovic, Crowley, C.Cavallo, Pierias, J.Cavallo, Atkinson #OCvMCY

No Kamau, Tongyik, La Rocca or Cahill. Keep in mind Franjic has left.

Anyone know what stage Brandan is at with his recovery?

• Like 1