Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Pre-Season Friendlies 2017

DFG_82

On 7/11/2017 at 5:06 AM, Heart of oakleigh said:

Go ask the south melb board if they still consider themselves a "true greek club".  Oakleigh which is a small greek community club in the heart of the greek precinct has won 9 premierships in the state leagues and should not be compared to bigger national soccer league clubs. Try telling malvern, aris, altona east, heidelberg, bentleigh, kingston ect that they are not true greek clubs.

I use one scarf for city in the summer league and the other for oakleigh in the winter league. Will go as a neutral for this match lol.

Those 9 premierships are lower level titles, oakleigh has never won the victorian top flight despite being the biggest spenders in the last 10-12 years, unfortunately the club has no notable fan base to speak of. I went to one of the home games last season and the crowd was literally 60 people. They will get a big crowd against south obviously and maybe bentleigh but thats about it.

What i do agree on is that oakleigh are much more greek than South in how they operate and promote themselves, especially since the area became the main greek town about a decade ago...south was obviously able to attract a sizeable amount of non greek support in the nsl days, which is still very noticeable compared to other npl clubs today.

2 hours ago, Geo400 said:

Those 9 premierships are lower level titles, oakleigh has never won the victorian top flight despite being the biggest spenders in the last 10-12 years, unfortunately the club has no notable fan base to speak of. I went to one of the home games last season and the crowd was literally 60 people. They will get a big crowd against south obviously and maybe bentleigh but thats about it.

What i do agree on is that oakleigh are much more greek than South in how they operate and promote themselves, especially since the area became the main greek town about a decade ago...south was obviously able to attract a sizeable amount of non greek support in the nsl days, which is still very noticeable compared to other npl clubs today.

I 100% respect your opinion but dont agree with all your points. Oakleigh has won the 2006 vpl premiership and won victorian state league 1 chanpionships in 1986, 1989, 2003.  9 victorian state league premierships. Oakleigh gets crowds of 400-800 people in the warmer months but crowds do drop drastically during mid winter to maybe 150 - 200 if we are lucky. The area was the main greek area longer than a decade ago. Its only more noticeable now because certain individuals invested in oakleigh recently and not lonsdale/russell street. 

I have quite a few south melb mates and they have dragged me along to quite a few of their games since the mid 90's. Yes there are non greeks there but i cant agree that its a sizeable non greek support. 

I dont want to harp on about oakleigh too much as i am also a melb heart/city foundation member and would rather talk about city improving this year.

Edited by Heart of oakleigh

Oakleigh won the minor premiership in 2006, south Melbourne won the grand final that year, the grand final winner is recognised as the champion. Oakleigh draw some ok crowds when they play on Friday nights but the Sunday games are brutally bad crowd wise, I use to spend a lot of time in that area when I was young and it wasn't until they closed the road that lead to what would become eaton  mall that it became a big Greek hub..before that it was no more Greek than northcote, this was around 2003 from memory, the soccer club began its rise around that time as well. Ambitious club but never really delivered, and failed again last year at the final hurdle.

being a northern suburbs guy now I lean towards northcote city, so I don't like oakleigh lol, wish city would come out this way for a friendly,

39 minutes ago, japiedog said:

so where will our nutters , sorry  active, be tonight ?

I might sneak in and sing a few chants

just make room for my zimmer frame

South Melbourne active fans always stand at the far end bay of the grand stand. So

im guessing we should go there?

Our team is in for tonight's first pre-season friendly against Oakleigh Cannons, kick-off 7.30pm

City XI | Bouzanis, Muscat, Jamieson, Malik, Fitzgerald, Kilkenny, Caceres, Jakobsen, Fornaroli, Brattan, Genreau

Subs | Galekovic, Crowley, C.Cavallo, Pierias, J.Cavallo, Atkinson #OCvMCY

No Kamau, Tongyik, La Rocca or Cahill. Keep in mind Franjic has left.

6 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Our team is in for tonight's first pre-season friendly against Oakleigh Cannons, kick-off 7.30pm

City XI | Bouzanis, Muscat, Jamieson, Malik, Fitzgerald, Kilkenny, Caceres, Jakobsen, Fornaroli, Brattan, Genreau

Subs | Galekovic, Crowley, C.Cavallo, Pierias, J.Cavallo, Atkinson #OCvMCY

No Kamau, Tongyik, La Rocca or Cahill. Keep in mind Franjic has left.

wha?