Melbourne Football

We signed Scotty j

kingofhearts

31 minutes ago, JrodMac92 said:

Odds on him actually lasting the 4 years he has signed for?

IIRC the only other player we've ever signed for 4 seasons was Erik Paartalu.

4 years is a big commitment from both parties, but I'm not against the club trying to build some consistency into the squad. 

Excellent signing, as Nate said, you aren't going to get many Australian left backs better than him at this level. 

Pleased with the 4 year contract too, will be easy enough to move him on if things don't go as planned (see Big Erik) and if he kills it and wants to head back overseas we'll make some coin off of a free transfer.

Get a solid VISA CB in now and on paper we're looking like having a very solid back four for the first time ever.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, japiedog said:

glancing over his previous track record.....

one season is probably tops

He was 3 seasons at Adelaide 2 seasons at Sydney 3 at Glory and 1 at the Wanderers and then tried his luck in Sweeden. 

This alone without watching him play says that he is solid at A League level but not good enough for Europe. 

At 28 I think he will be an improvement on Rose and alongside Jakobsen Franjic and the mysterious right footed latino CB we will have a very solid starting back four.

Good work and a good signing. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

He was 3 seasons at Adelaide 2 seasons at Sydney 3 at Glory and 1 at the Wanderers and then tried his luck in Sweeden. 

This alone without watching him play says that he is solid at A League level but not good enough for Europe. 

At 28 I think he will be an improvement on Rose and alongside Jakobsen Franjic and the mysterious right footed latino CB we will have a very solid starting back four.

Good work and a good signing. 

I can't see why he's considered by some unlikely to stay for several seasons. His record is pretty good. Missed most of 2013/14 with a ruptured achilles tendon, but otherwise he's played consistently. Disciplinary record OK - never had a red card as far as I can see. Sound signing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Disciplinary record OK - never had a red card as far as I can see. Sound signing.

Interesting, I remember him giving away plenty of fouls. He seems to have a bit of mongrel about him, which is exactly what we need down back.

Rose, Tongyik and Franjic are all pretty passive blokes. With Jakobsen and Jamieson we have a tougher backline with a bit of aggression, which should count for something. 

He is an upgrade on Rose and can cross quite well. Couldn't be happier with this signing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

If you look who is available, we can't do better without using a visa spot and I'd rather use that elsewhere

Grudging praise from you at last Bela. Come on lad, fill your petrol tank for that 700k round trip and buy a cheap membership and be done with it. You know you really want to...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Grudging praise from you at last Bela. Come on lad, fill your petrol tank for that 700k round trip and buy a cheap membership and be done with it. You know you really want to...

It's not grudging praise, it's a good signing. We need a balanced squad. The only caveat I guess is whether we are playing a back 3 or 4. Rose was good in a back 4 but terrible in a back 3, dunno about Jamieson.

Don't have to worry about petrol, I have a Tesla Model S. 700km still takes 7 hours though

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I can't see why he's considered by some unlikely to stay for several seasons. His record is pretty good. Missed most of 2013/14 with a ruptured achilles tendon, but otherwise he's played consistently. Disciplinary record OK - never had a red card as far as I can see. Sound signing.

2 hours ago, belaguttman said:

If you look who is available, we can't do better without using a visa spot and I'd rather use that elsewhere

couldnt agree more, and AFAIC its a great signing; pins down the LB role, solid local player and (pending reports otherwise) I can't see Jamieson taking up too much space from a salary cap perspective.

Edited by mattyh001

54 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

His signing article is written in a way as it was supposed to be released last week (Friday). Read, he will join the training group next week.

so credit to some who predicted it!

Was definitely meant to be announced on Friday but was delayed at the last minute for some reason.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

Was definitely meant to be announced on Friday but was delayed at the last minute for some reason.

Yeah that's pretty clear from the article and him being at training today. So what about this second signing, Brattan?

On 03/07/2017 at 10:22 AM, Nate said:

about as good as Australian left backs get at this level, and a massive improvement over Rose.

very happy

agree that we need to take what we can get.  especially when we are dumb enough to throw away zullo and wilkinson.

our team with zullo and wilkinson last year would have been a title threat.  even with the shit management.

Just now, nah brah said:

agree that we need to take what we can get.  especially when we are dumb enough to throw away zullo and wilkinson.

our team with zullo and wilkinson last year would have been a title threat.  even with the shit management.

:droy:

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, nah brah said:

AFAIK neither wanted to stay with us.

4 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Rose should have stayed. Was solid playing a transitional LB role and probably on way less money. Hopefully Scott is not on too much $s.

But Rose couldn't pass properly, in pressure situations too many turnovers due to either bad control or bad passing. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So it looks like Wazza has decided that Jammo is a winger not a fullback.

Must say I'm surprised no one else has commented on it yet.

Probably still trying to find someone other than Fitzy who can cross the ball accurately.

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So it looks like Wazza has decided that Jammo is a winger not a fullback.

Must say I'm surprised no one else has commented on it yet.

I think he is still a left back, he went on a winger cause fitzy needed a break and not to disrupt the back 4 I think that's all

Wazza said he didn't start cause he has hardly trained since WSW game

So can't read too much into it 

• Like 2