Melbourne Football

A-League Fixture 2017/18

jw1739

I really don't understand why teams don't play each other four times in the regular season. It would mean 9 extra games and a shorter pre-season which I imagine would suit most fans. Also it would mean each team playing the same number of home and away games, ensuring a more fairer competition.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I really don't understand why teams don't play each other four times in the regular season. It would mean 9 extra games and a shorter pre-season which I imagine would suit most fans. Also it would mean each team playing the same number of home and away games, ensuring a more fairer competition.

Our competition would then overlap with the AFL. I assume that FFA is fearful that there would be a dramatic drop in the interest in soccer.

Edited by jw1739

15 minutes ago, silva10 said:

The competition needs more teams. It gets very boring playing the same team 4 times, possibly 5 or 6 if the teams meet in the FFA Cup or finals.

Just now, jw1739 said:

Our competition would then overlap with the AFL. I assume that FFA is fearful that there would be a dramatic drop in the interest in soccer.

Only in Victoria.... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That doesn't surprise me JW. The FFA need to concentrate on proper football and decide what's in the best interests for the longer term. A more competitive league is the best way to take the game forward.

3 hours ago, haz said:

The competition needs more teams. It gets very boring playing the same team 4 times, possibly 5 or 6 if the teams meet in the FFA Cup or finals.

Only in Victoria.... 

I agree with you the league needs more teams. Until that happens we need to increase the number of games to extend the season. When the SPL first started it had 10 teams and they played each other 4 times each. It made the league more competitive for a number of years. Okay they didn't have the play offs then, but there isn't as many cup games in Australia. So overall there is still less games played in Australia.

53 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I agree with you the league needs more teams. Until that happens we need to increase the number of games to extend the season. When the SPL first started it had 10 teams and they played each other 4 times each. It made the league more competitive for a number of years. Okay they didn't have the play offs then, but there isn't as many cup games in Australia. So overall there is still less games played in Australia.

I see your point. Either way though, with the current FFA there will be no such changes while they are still in power unfortunately.

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

Victoria NPL clubs such as South Melbourne are pushing for a spot. I think that they should be able to join considering their history and plans. South Melbourne have some money from the NSL and if they get in Roberts Carlos will coach them. The only thing the FFA don't want they in for is because of the ethnic stir South might cause and other NPL clubs. Overall I think South should be able to join. 

14 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Victoria NPL clubs such as South Melbourne are pushing for a spot. I think that they should be able to join considering their history and plans. South Melbourne have some money from the NSL and if they get in Roberts Carlos will coach them. The only thing the FFA don't want they in for is because of the ethnic stir South might cause and other NPL clubs. Overall I think South should be able to join. 

South have talked alot of shite in the past. Like when they tried to buy us, I would say that is why FFA is sceptical. I also have no doubt that the supporters will make it a Greek club at the start but over the years who knows. 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

South have talked alot of shite in the past. Like when they tried to buy us, I would say that is why FFA is sceptical. I also have no doubt that the supporters will make it a Greek club at the start but over the years who knows. 

It already is a Greek club being a supporter myself. They are a club full of history and I think deserve to join the league. 

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

WTF with this split round rubbish ... seriously, I just dont get the thinking of FFA.  More games needed, not less

Especially when FFA claims it cannot observe international breaks because of the subsequent congestion it would cause.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Especially when FFA claims it cannot observe international breaks because of the subsequent congestion it would cause.

Does FFA get more money from AFC for ACL then they would for international breaks?

I don't see an easy solution in the current climate.

When it come to FIFA international breaks, there are five through out the year (three of which interact with the running of the season).  Given two directly impact the start of the season (always the weekend after the AFL & NRL granny's) and mid November (just before the summer of test cricket starting), the FFA are in a bind.

Do you give up vital weekends when the lack of other Aussie sport gives a free run with media, etc, or do you allow the current impact of 5-10 players being on national duty lower quality. 

To go with having a break means quality Socceroos home games is a must - irrespective of who, we need the bigger (mostly South American or European) nations coming out.

In terms of the Champions League breaks, the only thing that frustrates me is that having a two game round / split in the middle is too light on.

Expansion will help total games wise (6 or 7 games as opposed to 5 a normal round) but just even things out over 3-4 weeks FFS

21 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

I don't see an easy solution in the current climate.

When it come to FIFA international breaks, there are five through out the year (three of which interact with the running of the season).  Given two directly impact the start of the season (always the weekend after the AFL & NRL granny's) and mid November (just before the summer of test cricket starting), the FFA are in a bind.

Do you give up vital weekends when the lack of other Aussie sport gives a free run with media, etc, or do you allow the current impact of 5-10 players being on national duty lower quality. 

To go with having a break means quality Socceroos home games is a must - irrespective of who, we need the bigger (mostly South American or European) nations coming out.

In terms of the Champions League breaks, the only thing that frustrates me is that having a two game round / split in the middle is too light on.

Expansion will help total games wise (6 or 7 games as opposed to 5 a normal round) but just even things out over 3-4 weeks FFS

There may be no easy solution, but when I look at today's Age and see the only article about "soccer" being a piece on Victory's ACL campaign I know that what's happening now is not the solution. The Sport section is full of AFL, and even Women's Rugby is there.

My first priority would be to have a regular home-away season. In Melbourne, Victory home one week, City the next. As it is City have only three home matches from 10th February to the end of the season, and with the team performing the way it is there is little to interest the media.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There may be no easy solution, but when I look at today's Age and see the only article about "soccer" being a piece on Victory's ACL campaign I know that what's happening now is not the solution. The Sport section is full of AFL, and even Women's Rugby is there.

My first priority would be to have a regular home-away season. In Melbourne, Victory home one week, City the next. As it is City have only three home matches from 10th February to the end of the season, and with the team performing the way it is there is little to interest the media.

Agree, and would add that no one invested or interested in the game should be happy.

Sadly part of the problem is what happens when too many people who run the game become happy with the status quo, and fail to put money into either expanding or marketing the game.

Don't know about anyone else, but I get a sense that the game here has been reeling since we lost the bid for the 2022 World Cup - almost as if the FFA put all it's eggs in the one basket and didn't know what to do / have a plan b

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

Unfortunately all Melbourne media has been AFL centric, so unless you promote the A-League by force and invest over 100 times more over many many years than what goes into any other market in Australia, then the media in Melbourne will always naturally gravitate to AFL.

If soccer was more organised in the 1950s then it would be a different story today, but unfortunately soccer has continually self-destructed since that time and today it is an easy target for the AFL media fanboys and drama-queen reporters searching for a story, where the AFL is untouchable.

41 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Unfortunately all Melbourne media has been AFL centric, so unless you promote the A-League by force and invest over 100 times more over many many years than what goes into any other market in Australia, then the media in Melbourne will always naturally gravitate to AFL.

If soccer was more organised in the 1950s then it would be a different story today, but unfortunately soccer has continually self-destructed since that time and today it is an easy target for the AFL media fanboys and drama-queen reporters searching for a story, where the AFL is untouchable.

I realise that, but it seems to me that FFA's basic position  - that of not taking on AFL unless it can't avoid doing so - is a very weak one. One that suggests that it doesn't believe in its own product. I find it odd that no A-League football is scheduled for today, even though this is a Public Holiday here in Victoria.

What are we going to do if AFL decides to extend its season, say, into November - just start ours later and compress our fixtures even more? In the end you've got to believe in your own product and stand up for yourself.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I realise that, but it seems to me that FFA's basic position  - that of not taking on AFL unless it can't avoid doing so - is a very weak one. One that suggests that it doesn't believe in its own product. I find it odd that no A-League football is scheduled for today, even though this is a Public Holiday here in Victoria.

What are we going to do if AFL decides to extend its season, say, into November - just start ours later and compress our fixtures even more? In the end you've got to believe in your own product and stand up for yourself.

Totally agree JW. 

We need to take them on.

Flood the media and make football front and centre from August to May, buy back pages and prime time ads and talkback spots.

Have indoor comps to compete with the AFL season.

Massive investment.

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree JW. 

We need to take them on.

Flood the media and make football front and centre from August to May, buy back pages and prime time ads and talkback spots.

Have indoor comps to compete with the AFL season.

Massive investment.

The game is broke.

• jw1739 unpinned this topic