Melbourne Football

A-League Fixture 2017/18

jw1739

• jw1739 pinned this topic
6 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Apparently all teams play each other in the final 9 rounds. Thats a good idea imo

With 9 other teams and 27 rounds there is always going to be inequality. But on face value the last 9 rounds as equal as possible is a good idea. 

2 minutes ago, neio said:

Who came up with the idea to play games at 7pm on a Sunday night,  bloody stupid 

But my favorite is playing in Perth on a Tuesday that starts at 10pm our time 

The entire fixture is designed to maximise tv audiences not attendance. Tv rights basically fund the League so at the end of the day TV is priority 1. 

Not sure weather that's right but it wont change anytime soon.

• Like 3

Probably better than most seasons so far. Much more evenly balanced than last year in terms of regularity of home matches. But my goodness, when you see it set out and look at how the squads are shaping so far there are not going to be any easy matches at all next season. Wazza has his work cut out, that's for sure.

The Perth matches are scheduled to avoid as far as possible the extreme summer temperatures over there. I don't have a problem with that.

3rd derby (March 2nd) is a Friday night.  Gotta be a first.

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Would take that any day, that holds far less fears for me if it came to winning the title there. Might be a great one to go to tbh...

First time I can remember we played Wellington away during school holidays.

As such finally get to tick off both a holiday / tour of New Zealand and go to an away game over there

1 minute ago, hakz7 said:

Do you mean it's a first that the 3rd derby is a Friday? Or in general that a Melb Derby is on a Friday?

That in general we play derbies on a Saturday

edit: TTIM: i was halfway through a post on a fixture list break down, and lost it when i clicked to bring up a forum notification.

Edited by mattyh001

thought i'd bring up a few things that have gone into the new season fixture list:

Games by the Day of the Week 

=> Home (14 total)                                           Away (13 total):

Thursday    x 1 *                                         Tuesday    x 1

Friday         x 4                                            Friday       x 3

Saturday    x 6                                             Saturday   x 5

Sunday      x 3                                              Sunday    x 4

* the Thursday game is on the eve of 'straya Day - public holiday for those of you who are lucky enough to get it off

=> successive home games on two occasions this season (between Rounds 5 and 6 as well as Rounds 17 and 18)

=> successive away games only once this season (between Rounds 15 and 16; unfortunately one of those games is in Perth, and is incorporated in the following point)

=> our players will have 5 day or less breaks between games on 5 occasions this season.  It should be noted that this includes three such breaks during a 16 day period between Rounds 13 and 16 where every club plays 4 games across 16 days.

=> we commence only 1 of our 14 Home game at prior 7 pm - might not be so family friendly this season (to enhance the post from @Tony999 earlier)

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Logistically, a Friday night derby is gonna suck.

But I understand why they have to do it TBH, as @thisphantomfortresssaid it'll be a lot easier for the Tards with their ACL commitments. Will it have an effect on the crowd?

I'll be there, charging pints before the march as opposed to having a casual session

• jw1739 unpinned this topic