Melbourne Football

Melbourne City Media

haz

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Must watch - Bruno and Fernando in "Team Mates." In Spanish with sub-titles!

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/video/team-mates--fernando-brandan---bruno-fornaroli/1u6oz1vi1jjti1s7bc0h3vxrn9

All of these so far have been full of banter and taking the piss out of each other, but Bruno and Fernando just spent the whole time being so genuine and nice to one another. Bloody adorable :wub:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Greeting akin to Merry Christmas, relating the the Muslim festival of Eid Al Adha, which took place a couple of days ago... 

I've wished Muslim friends Eid Mubarak.  Seems to me it's basic respect and civility.  As for the club, it isn't affiliated to any faith, it has Muslim supporters, and CFG is ultimately owned by people from a Muslim culture.  Don't see any problem with the club wishing us Merry Christmas,  Happy Hanukkah or Eid Mubarak.  It's a multicultural city and our club has multicultural support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Embee said:

Controversial articles get views, nothing new really.

Personally, I think that without some form of Bruno replacement we're in for an average season but I can't see us missing the 6 at all.

Yeh clickbait. Just trying to create interest ahead of the season.

I'm in the boat that we could be anything this season, but i struggle to see us missing the six. We still have the deepest squad of anyone, and I'm thinking that perhaps we might learn to become a little less predictable without Bruno in the side. In saying that, he's a super star and will be a very welcome addition back in the side, particularly if we continue a labouring approach as seen in the cup game.

As i mentioned a week or so ago, if we can;t secure a decent quality visa replacement for Bruno, I'd be more than happy to give Lujic a contract thats worth his while for a few months to give him a shot. I personally think he's very capable.

• Like 1

I disagree with his reasonings. But I do have a bad feeling about this season. Obviously I have made my thoughts on old Wazza pretty clear haha.

However I would love nothing more than those daft fox sports 'pundits' have their pants pulled down.  10 bucks says Slater says Victory will win it this year because of their 'inspired' signings. If he does, tells you all you need to know about how much he himself knows.

Edited by Dylan

I have no issue that Slater has that view of the club.  To be fair, his sentiment largely echoes the views of this forum.  Personally, I don't think the issue is CFG lacking the will to invest, they have always said that they will invest commensurate with their ability to achieve a return on investment (or a break even scenario).  The problem is the league itself.  As it stands, with all the restrictive measures in place that limit the ability for clubs to produce a true AFC contender, CFG's financial controls limit the available budget for star signings.  I reckon that once those restrictions are lifted, as well as other blockers that the FFA have in place which limit additional revenue streams, CFG's will increase its budget for Melbourne and we will then see more known star players come in, as opposed to players who have the potential to be stars, but are relatively unknown.

• Like 1

If he is right or close enough to be right what will CFG do? 

I'm super concerned after our cup loss and going into the season nothing has changed to alter that feeling. 

Sure Budzinski could be immense but this is starting to feel like every other season where the majority of our success rests on our Marquee. Fred Mifsud Koren Kennedy, okay we've had some joy with Engelaar Mooy and Fornaroli but even as great as they were what did we achieve. 

Our team has definite depth and appears for the first time actually balanced but I can't shake those lingering doubts that Wazza isn't capable of delivering success. 

I'm definitely going into this season probably at the same level of confidence as was Aloisi's first season. The Brisbane game will for sure make everything clear and give me a pretty good indication on whether we're cooked again or not.

It's normal to feel that Wazza won't be able to bring success. Our first A-league level game with him was a loss. Looking at it objectively, our best players were out or unfit, nothing more we could do. Only logical step is to wait for season to start, then either doubt or have faith.

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

I have no issue that Slater has that view of the club.  To be fair, his sentiment largely echoes the views of this forum.  Personally, I don't think the issue is CFG lacking the will to invest, they have always said that they will invest commensurate with their ability to achieve a return on investment (or a break even scenario).  The problem is the league itself.  As it stands, with all the restrictive measures in place that limit the ability for clubs to produce a true AFC contender, CFG's financial controls limit the available budget for star signings.  I reckon that once those restrictions are lifted, as well as other blockers that the FFA have in place which limit additional revenue streams, CFG's will increase its budget for Melbourne and we will then see more known star players come in, as opposed to players who have the potential to be stars, but are relatively unknown.

Your sentiments have been on my mind too. But the question I'd ask then is at what cost is their brand image affected as a result of this?