Melbourne Football

What's Wazza's Pass Mark - now for Season 2018-19?

Dylan

What's Wazza's Pass Mark?   

74 members have voted

1. 1. What's Wazza's Pass Mark for this season?

• FFA Cup + Double + ACL Berth
    • FFA Cup + ACL Berth
    • Double + ACL Berth
    • Premiership + ACL berth
    • Championship + ACL Berth
    • ACL Berth
    • Just FFA Cup
    • Any trophy + ACL berth

Be honest with yourselves and realistic. None of this pages of crap, that you wont be buying a membership unless we win everything next season, which is the usual around here.

Out of transperency I voted Championship + ACL until more is made about the premiership.... Championship > Premiership IMO

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Embee said:

Still need to see exactly how the squad is filled out, but for me I'd accept an begrudgingly accept an ACL berth as a pass mark, but would be aiming for some kind of silverware to go with it.

Yeh pretty much what i think. Any of the three trophies and an ACL berth would be hard to consider a fail imo, even if not necessarily the result we want.

18 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Yeh pretty much what i think. Any of the three trophies and an ACL berth would be hard to consider a fail imo, even if not necessarily the result we want.

100% While we would all like to win everything, we need to be realistic. Last year we very likely should have won significantly more, poor coaching screwed that for us.

Depending on signings, we could likely have the same expectations but at this stage, with the current squad and a new coach, assuming the players we sign are passes only(no terrible players but no superstars either - just to balance it out because we'll likely get a mix) a trophy of some sort and an ACL spot would be the minimum expectation...

Of course if we end up signing 3 top players and some more good youngsters then likely our expectations will rise. We do need to be patient, new coach and all, but we still have one of the best teams despite needing to plug some holes.

I know this isn't an option but I'll be content with some more exciting players and some more passion during games, not the flogs and attitude from last season. Just want to feel proud & connected with my club, prices aren't always a priority for me. 

• Like 3

I can't go with any of them at this stage. I don't know how to quantify it, but IMO the first thing he is here for is to change the culture of the club. We had a shit culture last season, but we still won a trophy (and won it well). IMO the trophies and ACL will follow once we demonstrate that we have a culture of grit and determination to play every match out to the last second, not to cough up draws after leading or defeats after we've been on level terms, and to come from behind to win.

I think we'll know 8-9 matches into the season whether Wazza has been able to make a difference in that respect. Unfortunately I don't think it will come easily, certainly not just because we sign good players because that hasn't worked before. Another reason I don't think it will come easily is because the same old assistant coaching team is there, for the moment anyway, and Wazza can't be everywhere at once.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I can't go with any of them at this stage. I don't know how to quantify it, but IMO the first thing he is here for is to change the culture of the club. We had a shit culture last season, but we still won a trophy (and won it well). IMO the trophies and ACL will follow once we demonstrate that we have a culture of grit and determination to play every match out to the last second, not to cough up draws after leading or defeats after we've been on level terms, and to come from behind to win.

I think we'll know 8-9 matches into the season whether Wazza has been able to make a difference in that respect. Unfortunately I don't think it will come easily, certainly not just because we sign good players because that hasn't worked before. Another reason I don't think it will come easily is because the same old assistant coaching team is there, for the moment anyway, and Wazza can't be everywhere at once.

I am with you on this.

A long term cultural change is more important than a title of any sort in the first year. Don't want to see a quick fix for short term lustre and then back to a cancerous culture when he leaves.

If need be I would like to see a total shake up of everything at MC to get rid of the rot, and for Wazza to instil a professional, unified, competent and winning culture, and where players and managers want to bleed for the club.

Second year results are more important IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

What do rate higher the Premiership or the Championship?

This is a question that gets discussed a bit around here. I used to firmly believe it's the championship but now i think it actually depends on the season.

Take last season for example. Sydney dominated yet if it wasn't for a Muscat coaching brainfade, they could've lost the grand final. Hence the premiership was a truer representation of the season and the one rightly more important. 

Other seasons might be much closer with more than one team in the hunt for the prem. In my eyes then, the championship becomes the prize that is more important. 

Anyway i think ACL is the minimum as it therefore means they would be in the hunt for both premiership and championship, with hopefully winning at least one.

• Like 1

CFG could have probably picked a better league to invest in if their primary interest was  developing and selling off players. Whilst the Club continues the have the most expensive squad in the league I don't doubt their commitment to City being successful. Now if they were to start playing mostly youth players and not investing in any worthwhile Marquee players I would be concerned.

• Like 1

Hopefully we can win something. However that can't be guaranteed, therefore a good season would be for us to challenge on all fronts. I put the pass has ACL berth. However, even that maybe too ambitious because he is new to the league and hasn't much senior management experience.

45 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

CFG could have probably picked a better league to invest in if their primary interest was  developing and selling off players. Whilst the Club continues the have the most expensive squad in the league I don't doubt their commitment to City being successful. Now if they were to start playing mostly youth players and not investing in any worthwhile Marquee players I would be concerned.

I think its a case of marketing and selling players. You'll develop better players in Brazil but you arn't going to gain any additonal revenue as a result of markeitng the City brand there.

13 hours ago, DFG_82 said:

long term they are getting their foot in. but anyone can see that australia has been poor in development of its own players over the last decade.  there is a gaping hole and money to be made.  

He needs to improve the team: 

no more soft cock performances where the team just doesn't turn up

no more crumbling when the run of the game turns against us

no more goals conceded in the first and last minutes of a half because the team are still mentally in the dressing room

no more timid displays against physical teams like Perth

No more poor discipline on the field

some steel and desire when playing away from AAMI Park

players that know their roles and understand the team philosophy

no crumbling when the team is doing well and there's some expectation of success

I expect performances and consistency that compel me to renew my season ticket and want to drive 700km round trip to a home game

I expect a Premiership and ACL qualification, otherwise send him home on the boat

Edited by belaguttman

Pass mark in his first season? I'd take a convincing top 4 finish, by convincing I mean most of the things bela mentioned. He's got to make the squad mentally strong. If he can cut out all the soft shit and win a few games I'll be happy.

So none of these options. I'm thinking less arbitrary than a certain trophy.

• 10 months later...

Next season's pass mark would require:

For the men's team

GrandFinal appearance

Premiership

Improved men's team mentality

a more attractive  football style

and for him personally:

better use of the bench

more effective tactical flexibility

long pants. Short pants require a Gibson SG guitar and Angus Young's version of a Chuck Berry duck walk

• Like 2

For 2018/19:

Must at least equal 2017/18 with third place or better finish.
Bring at least one of our youth players to a level where CFG can either take him to Manchester and loan him out, or be sold directly from Melbourne City to a good Euro club.
By the end of the season have at least another youth player a regular starter for City.

• Like 3