Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Qtr F V Sydney 13 Sep away

Dylan

Regardless of which formation we play we miss a genuine midfield destroyer (not la Rocca, he's just a talentless hack) who will rack up the kilometers and tackle anything that moves and not wander off leaving the defence exposed. Going forward without Brandan we don't have much threat out wide  so should play to our strengths through the middle

Galekovic

Bort - Tongyik - Jako

Fitzy - - - - - Brattan - Kilkenny - - - - -  Jamo

Carrusca - Mauk

Cahill

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

We could've played maybe a 4-2-3-1 formation instead an encountered the same problems we did last night. Both formations are essentially the same, and both formation will work terribly if we put the team out we did last night again. Any formation for that matter involving that line-up. Did we even get a shot on goal in the first half? 

I think Mauk had a shot from outside the box, the only one, maybe that was in the second half.

With all the defensive players there was no creativity and we tried going over the top which SFC with their organisation always coped with, Mauk started to drop deep in the second half, so you're probably right.

Wazza's first game and watching players in a game that matters, it's a good lesson for him at where the bar is set, maybe he underestimated the competition?

19 minutes ago, moops said:

I think Mauk had a shot from outside the box, the only one, maybe that was in the second half.

With all the defensive players there was no creativity and we tried going over the top which SFC with their organisation always coped with, Mauk started to drop deep in the second half, so you're probably right.

Wazza's first game and watching players in a game that matters, it's a good lesson for him at where the bar is set, maybe he underestimated the competition?

I actually think he overestimated several of his own players.

• Like 1

I think you guys are blowing everything out of proportion. The only thing the smurfs dominated was possession and considering they had so much of the ball they really did nothing with it. The issue was that we had no attacking targets but even so the shots at goals aren't that different considering.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, playmaker said:

I think you guys are blowing everything out of proportion. The only thing the smurfs dominated was possession and considering they had so much of the ball they really did nothing with it. The issue was that we had no attacking targets but even so the shots at goals aren't that different considering.

They didn't even get out of second gear as we were that impotent going forward, we shit ourselves every time we actually had possession with either an errant pass or poor first touch. 

We wouldn't have scored even if Bruno had have played 90 minutes, our midfield play was that bad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nate said:

They didn't even get out of second gear as we were that impotent going forward, we shit ourselves every time we actually had possession with either an errant pass or poor first touch. 

We wouldn't have scored even if Bruno had have played 90 minutes, our midfield play was that bad.

Disagree, the way we played is how a park the bus defensive counter attack is played. 

2 hours ago, playmaker said:

Disagree, the way we played is how a park the bus defensive counter attack is played. 

Well if that's how you play a "park the bus defensive counter attack" is played god help us.

As soon as we went down 1:0 that strategy in knock out cup game is useless. And tbf Wazza changed it at the break. It's all well and good to come in with a defensive mindset but once you have the ball you need a plan and most times it won't be on the counter.

Our midfield was pathetic and regardless of whatever system you employed we were doomed. And if we go into the season proper with Malik and La Rocca as holding mids and Kilkenny more advanced and leaving Brattan on the pine we are stuffed.

Hopefully Wazza has recognized this and doesn't do it again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Regardless of which formation we play we miss a genuine midfield destroyer (not la Rocca, he's just a talentless hack) who will rack up the kilometers and tackle anything that moves and not wander off leaving the defence exposed. Going forward without Brandan we don't have much threat out wide  so should play to our strengths through the middle

Galekovic

Bort - Tongyik - Jako

Carrusca - Mauk

Cahill

Go full Angeball, or Brazil national team back in the 40's 50's, because that's how they used to play back then as well. It doesn't make it bad, but three at the back doesn't mean we'll play like Conte set's up his teams.

It depends how it's deployed, but it doesn't look to bad tbh with who is available.

11 hours ago, mus-28 said:

Galekovic

Bort - Tongyik - Jako

Carrusca - Mauk

Cahill

If anything, I'd like to see Tongyik played defensive mid.  He's good with the ball at his feet, and can dribble and pass.  His positioning needs to improve to play central defence but with Bort and Jakobsen alongside him he might work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

When was the last time we scored from a corner? Honestly I cannot remember at all. Anyone shed any light?

Could be wrong, but wasn't Cahill's ridiculous header at AAMI last season from a corner? Against Adelaide maybe.

We're definitely not much of a threat from them though.

Edited by Embee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Embee said:

Could be wrong, but wasn't Cahill's ridiculous header at AAMI last season from a corner? Against Adelaide maybe.

We were spoilt AF by Mooy. But still, every set piece/corner feels wasted. Brattan from a corner was hopeless. I swear Kisnorbo headed more in in total in 15/16 than we managed as a team in 16/17 season. 

If our attack is going to be depleted going forward with Fornaroli out, surely we ought to be trying to make good on our corner deliveries and free kicks.

• Like 2

On 16/09/2017 at 0:28 PM, Embee said:

We need two things to be a lot better (from corners):

1. Consistent balls in (enter Marcelo Carrusca)

2. An alternative to Cahill to confuse defenders

Hsving said that even just regular service to Timmy will still yield goals. Bloke is not exactly easy to deal with.

Edited by Shahanga

15 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We need two things to be a lot better:

Hsving said that even just regular service to Timmy will still yield goals. Bloke is not exactly easy to deal with.

Famous for being a hassle and making space in the box. But predictable if it is all we rely on. Feel like Jacobsen, Malik, Barts etc. Height should come in to play too. 

Carrusca will be good if he can stay injury free. I wonder how buzinski is from corners/set pieces.

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

We need two things to be a lot better:

Two things have plagued us from the start, slow transition and off the ball movement, the takeover hasn't improved either.

But that's subjective and is my own personal view, teams can be successful without either.

6 minutes ago, moops said:

Two things have plagued us from the start, slow transition and off the ball movement, the takeover hasn't improved either.

But that's subjective and is my own personal view, teams can be successful without either.

My post was specifically for the discussion on "getting better from corners"

On point about the slow transitions... seems whenever we grab an opportunity for a counter we head out wide, stuff around and give the opposition time to get back in formation. Not only cant I remember the last score from a corner, I cannot remember one from a counter attack either. But maybe I just have a short memory.

We spent so much energy focussing on possession that we were too afraid of losing out in the hope of taking a risk and being creative with the ball. We just tried to walk it in every time.

Heres hoping for a better season. I am sure a few rounds in we will have a better idea of how competitive City will be this season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

On point about the slow transitions... seems whenever we grab an opportunity for a counter we head out wide, stuff around and give the opposition time to get back in formation. Not only cant I remember the last score from a corner, I cannot remember one from a counter attack either. But maybe I just have a short memory.

We spent so much energy focussing on possession that we were too afraid of losing out in the hope of taking a risk and being creative with the ball. We just tried to walk it in every time.

Heres hoping for a better season. I am sure a few rounds in we will have a better idea of how competitive City will be this season.

*Flashbacks to the fast counter attacks with the holy trinity*

On 9/15/2017 at 6:20 AM, mus-28 said:

Galekovic

Bort - Tongyik - Jako

Carrusca - Mauk

Cahill

I'm glad you mentioned this. I've seen a few people on here say we're covered for DM, which I think could not be further from the truth. Neither Kilkenny or Brattan can provide the defensive cover the side obviously lacked not only last season, but possibly since inception. 

Yes, we need a number 10, but I think you could argue we need a destroyer as much if not more, for the sake of midfield balance.  

Edited by marn11