Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Qtr F V Sydney 13 Sep away

Dylan

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Selection and tactics would be my biggest concern, neither of those is related to our injury list. We may have well as kept Valkanis as coach

So far we would be better, but hey, first serious match, hopefully it'll be a wake up call for Joyce.

8 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Selection and tactics would be my biggest concern, neither of those is related to our injury list. We may have well as kept Valkanis as coach

Agree

Or several Aussies who have been successful.

Have to see what the season holds.

Edited by moops

12 minutes ago, Afif Adam said:

Round 2 creeping up very soon, WHO'S EXCITED ? <_<

We may be in with a chance round 2. Victory will have half a squad missing due to international commitments 

4 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

So which players are we actually missing? Who are we looking at to come in starting 11? Please dont tell me malik will be starting. He is a big liability.

Whoever thinks Malik is a starter in even in his preferred position is on drugs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Heart of oakleigh said:

So which players are we actually missing? Who are we looking at to come in starting 11? Please dont tell me malik will be starting. He is a big liability.

No Fornaroli, our favourite rat boy, Bratten.

Can I say I like youth?

What about Pierias instead of Muscat, Genreaou instead of Malik?

I'm sorry but was I watching a different game? 

Am I really reading some replies in here with people saying we played a good second half? WTF were you watching?

That was a complete shambles. Absolutely disgraceful performance. I honestly didn't mind the lineup as I thought it'd be a test and we could see where the teams at without bruno/Cahill starting. But that was just so hard to watch we barely pulled of 5 successive passes. 

Muscat, Malik, Kamau, Galekovic and Joyce GTFO

thank fuck I didn't call up and upgrade to a reserved seat. Theyre lucky I'm even a GA member after that shit

Edited by Fredinho69

3 minutes ago, Fredinho69 said:

I'm sorry but was I watching a different game? 

Am I really reading some replies in here with people saying we played a good second half? WTF were you watching?

That was a complete shambles. Absolutely disgraceful performance. I honestly didn't mind the lineup as I thought it'd be a test and we could see where the teams at without bruno/Cahill starting. But that was just so hard to watch we barely pulled of 5 successive passes. 

Muscat, Malik, Kamau, Galekovic and Joyce GTFO

thank fuck I didn't call up and upgrade to a reserved seat. Theyre lucky I'm even a GA member after that shit

With the parts in bold in mind neither of those two should really have been out the pitch to begin with in the first place.

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Wazza said in an prematch interview that Cahill and Carusca were not going to start due to limited fitness. I assume he was looking after them as we can't afford any more injuries.

Ok that definetly changes the circumstances leading up to the game in who he could select. Do you remember any mention of Brattan? Is he also being protected for some reason

If it were JVS in charge this place would explode. Only one person to blame here. We looked like we had no idea and our defence was worse. 

Saying it's preseason doesn't cut it.  We have been in preseason for how many weeks? We looked like they all met each other a couple of days ago. Yeah they are rumours but no wonder Joe was questioning Joyce, he is garbage and CFG have royally fucked up with this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dylan said:

If it were JVS in charge this place would explode. Only one person to blame here. We looked like we had no idea and our defence was worse. 

Saying it's preseason doesn't cut it.  We have been in preseason for how many weeks? We looked like they all met each other a couple of days ago. Yeah they are rumours but no wonder Joe was questioning Joyce, he is garbage and CFG have royally fucked up with this one.

Can't talk for anyone else, but the reason I am not exploding is I am too exhausted. It's almost got to the point where this type of thing is comforting. It's the one thing in my life that is consistent and no matter what happens I can always rely on us playing like a team of people that lied on their resumes and somehow managed to  bullshit their way through the screening process.

• Like 5

I don't want to be too negative but we have massive problems

Seriously how many players can you slot into a starting spot and be confident they will play in that position against Brisbane?

I've got 2 (Jakobsen at CB, Kilkenny at DM), the rest is up in the air. I imagine mauk, bart and fitzy start but dunno where

It's ridiculous that we are 4 weeks out from season and we still have no idea what formation to play let alone who is going to play. You could name the Sydney squad now, and most of victory, WSW and Perth's

These new players are needed 6 weeks ago not on the eve of season 

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

I think the difference being that JVS was rubbish for 4 seasons. Not defending Joyce, but I am willing to give him a few games before judging (mostly because I haven't been bothered to watch a game of ours yet)

• Like 1

Just now, neio said:

I don't want to be too negative but we have massive problems

Seriously how many players can you slot into a starting spot and be confident they will play in that position against Brisbane?

I've got 2 (Jakobsen at CB, Kilkenny at DM), the rest is up in the air. I imagine mauk, bart and fitzy start but dunno where

It's ridiculous that we are 4 weeks out from season and we still have no idea what formation to play let alone who is going to play. You could name the Sydney squad now, and most of victory, WSW and Perth's

These new players are needed 6 weeks ago not on the eve of season 

It was probably because old Warren was too busy sacking everyone who dared question his methods

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

He was far from awful, and certainly no way as bad as his haters are making out.  He certainly wasn't the worst on pitch for us.

Totally agree. 

Kamau isn't elite but he isn't as bad as the few that continually post. Our few good moments involved Kamau and although he could have done better he wasn't the worst or even in the worst 5 last night.

16 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

He was far from awful, and certainly no way as bad as his haters are making out.  He certainly wasn't the worst on pitch for us.

He was terrible in the first half, but decent in the second. Highlights were setting up Jamo who missed and getting in position to score.

His inability to be a goal threat though is a major weakness. Really should have done a lot better with the red hot chance on his left peg.

• Like 2

I think its not the worst thing to be badly exposed early on.  Sydney are clearly going to be the front runner, and that performance gives us no where to hide and the club now knows vast improvement is needed.  Maybe this embarrassment will be better for us as opposed to last season at this time when we were flying and the team thought they were going to win everything, and we continued to fade out (without changing things) as the year progressed.

It was a dominant performance by Sydney, who controlled the game, punished us for our mistakes, and didn't really need to break a sweat.

Now comes the real test for Joyce, and hopefully he is up to it.  He has seen first hand how bad some of our players are (Malik in particular) and that we need more quality on the park.  This will seemingly be addressed in the coming weeks.  We also know we have some quality to come back from injury.  If things can come right for us, and I'd expect it will take maybe quarter of the season, we may still be in it come the end of the season (for a place in Asia and some success in the finals).  If the trend goes the other way, it will be interesting to see how long CFG persist with Joyce.  

... so in the meantime

tumblr_mn9y8nUs9u1qdwtljo1_r2_400.gif.298b7b3804f70cf31012802e84022cdf.gif 

• Like 1

Do people realise we have our 2 best attackers out, another 2 of our best attackers were not ready for 90 mins and if we played anything even remotely close to last season's way we would have been thumped 5 -0

IMO Wazza played it right and it's unfortunate that we conceded early from a questionable free kicks. When he put Cahill and Carusca on we looked more efficient on attacking the goal and our defence was much more competent on defending the counter than last season.

And this bullshit of them controlling the game is the same bullshit that so called experts use all the time. Possession doesn't win games, as we learned last season, attacking efficiency does, and a team can't be efficient in attack when they have their best attackers out.

I like our defensive line and it is a huge improvement and as we all know, it was the first thing that needed to be fixed and it has been.

We need our players back to be able to attack efficiently, and with Carusca and Budinski adding a high level of attacking and creative quality we have nothing to worry about.

Wazza is creating a team that is fundamentally better than we have ever had but it takes time.

• Like 1

Just now, haz said:

Did anyone actually expect us to beat Sydney with the squad we had? The performance was very flat but I never thought we would have a chance of winning anyway.

First 3 rounds will be when I make my desicion.

Nothing to do with the result, it was the performance. We ran around looking like we had no idea where to go, where to position or where to run. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Nothing to do with the result, it was the performance. We ran around looking like we had no idea where to go, where to position or where to run. 

That's what happens when you have no targets up front. Put Bruno and Brandan in the team instead of Kamau and Malik, push Killa back and Mauk/Carusca in the central role and I wonder how we would have gone?

1 minute ago, playmaker said:

That's what happens when you have no targets up front. Put Bruno and Brandan in the team instead of Kamau and Malik, push Killa back and Mauk/Carusca in the central role and I wonder how we would have gone?

Well thats a hypothetical that can be answered later in the season. If Wazza makes it

Two things I noticed was Jacobsen punching the ball away at half time in anger as they walked into the shed and I thought we looked unfit, either that or pre-season training gave them tired legs.

Anyway onwards and upwards, we still have to come against Roar with their Serie A and League 1 dudes yet, exciting times ahead.

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Agree. Maybe we just need to accept that we have too many overrated players? Last years FFA Cup win giving a misguided assessment of many of our players ability.

On 13/09/2017 at 10:12 PM, moops said:

I thought we might play narrow, virtually a 4213 strikerless (the striker becoming a trequerista and the wider forwards, well....wider forwards) with advancing wingbacks.

With the selection it was the only way to bring in creativity.

We could've played maybe a 4-2-3-1 formation instead an encountered the same problems we did last night. Both formations are essentially the same, and both formation will work terribly if we put the team out we did last night again. Any formation for that matter involving that line-up. Did we even get a shot on goal in the first half?