Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Qtr F V Sydney 13 Sep away

Dylan

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

its from fox sports

If true, that makes him touch and go for Round 1.... so yeah, season must be the goal and further progress on the FFA Cup would be a bonus. 

Concern is there'll be no preseason training time to coordinate with a new #10.

Fun

26 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Defender Michael Jakobsen has been cleared of serious injury despite limping off late in the game with back spasms.

The Dane, who opened the scoring on Tuesday night after eight minutes, should be fine to play in the quarter-final clash away to Sydney FC in mid September, in a 2016 FFA Cup final rematch.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/melbourne-city-blow-as-star-striker-bruno-fornaroli-likely-sidelined-for-beginning-of-aleague-season/news-story/e822d15a3666088c2dbe58b84113fb8e

This means he will be out for a Germano.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Bruno lives for family and football. The biggest risk will be that he will work too hard to get back too quickly.

In that quote I was talking about Jakobsen, but yea I agree with Bruno. Ofcourse the club will work harder then usual to get him back compared to someone like Gamerio

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

The reigning Aleague champions playing at home and us without our two best players. Thinking that our FFA cup run could end seems the most likely outcome.

I agree, and it's time that people took off their rose-tinted spectacles and objectively assessed our squad and its capabilities and how we function as a team, especially now with our injury situation. Not only for the FFA Cup but also for the League season ahead.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I agree, and it's time that people took off their rose-tinted spectacles and objectively assessed our squad and its capabilities and how we function as a team, especially now with our injury situation. Not only for the FFA Cup but also for the League season ahead.

In saying that jw it's a fine line between objectivity and negativity 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

After watching the game again I'm still pretty bullish on the squad,  the team and including Bruno's injury on how we will fair this season. 

What I really liked was Brattan Kilkenny and Mauk as a combination. I think it can work. 

12 hours ago, n i k o said:

The reigning Aleague champions playing at home and us without our two best players. Thinking that our FFA cup run could end seems the most likely outcome.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Even with Bruno not there or not scoring goals we still have a good potential to score. The main thing that dictates our success is our ability to defend. It was our problem last season and while it seems improved, it will be the factor that determines the outcome against Sydney. Also the addition of a competent CAM like Budinski to our fire power and chance creation, the front 3rd dynamics will change more than people think. 

The performance of our defence will  determine the outcome against the smurfs IMO.

Edited by playmaker

While I agree that last season defense was not the best, our main and the only real problem was a midfield. Slow in transition, absence of creativity, inability to play without a ball that sort of things. Also our attacking players including Bruno sometimes were too static.

The key to success is in the midfield.

The match against Sydney is a perfect test. Bring it on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MXG said:

While I agree that last season defense was not the best, our main and the only real problem was a midfield. Slow in transition, absence of creativity, inability to play without a ball that sort of things. Also our attacking players including Bruno sometimes were too static.

The key to success is in the midfield.

The match against Sydney is a perfect test. Bring it on.

Totally agree, and I think the problem is with this 'press and pressure at all costs' mentality which is well and good at the right time, however it drags players out of position and leaves us vulnerable if they break though the press. But this is more of a tactics problem. I have never been a fan of this style of play at the A-league level because players make far too many errors in the midfield.

That's why a defensive counter attack is a safer and more successful option.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Totally agree, and I think the problem is with this 'press and pressure at all costs' mentality which is well and good at the right time, however it drags players out of position and leaves us vulnerable if they break though the press. But this is more of a tactics problem. I have never been a fan of this style of play at the A-league level because players make far too many errors in the midfield.

Never more evident than last night watching Australia. Thanks Ange, so massively overrated..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Dylan said:

Newy just beat Sydney 2-1

said very early on that it seems Newy and Adelaide are the big improvers. 

But if you read the report, you'll see that Sydney gave 45 minutes to all 23 of their players (note: all 23 players fit and ready to play a match), were all over Newcastle in the first half and in the second half fielded mostly youngsters.

Actual result meaningless as an indicator for the season ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

But if you read the report, you'll see that Sydney gave 45 minutes to all 23 of their players (note: all 23 players fit and ready to play a match), were all over Newcastle in the first half and in the second half fielded mostly youngsters.

Actual result meaningless as an indicator for the season ahead.

Exactly. Except when we do the same thing and then the sky is falling. 

• Like 1

Team I would like to see tomorrow

Galekovic

Bart.   Jakobsen     Tongyik Jamieson 

Kilkenny

Carrusca.    Mauk

Fitzgerald.       Cahill.            Kamau

Bouzanis LaRocca/Malik Brattan Arzani Crowley/Genreau

26 minutes ago, neio said:

Galekovic

Kilkenny

Carrusca.    Mauk

Arzani on Kamau Bench

28 minutes ago, neio said:

Galekovic

Kilkenny

Carrusca.    Mauk

That just suddenly became a high quality midfield 

IMO it will be this :                     

Bouzanis

Muscat   Bort    Jako   Jamieson

Brattan      Kilkenny

Carrusca

Fitzy           Cahill      Mauk

Galekovic, Kamau, Genreau, La Rocca, Arzani

Chelo could easily start bench and one of Arzani or Kamau into the wing tho. La rocca a half chance to start at CB and Bort replace Muscat.

Would be happy with this XI

Bouzanis

Muscat - Bart - Jakobsen - Jamo

Kilkenny

Mauk - Carrusca

Fitzy    -     Cahill     -    Arzani

Bench: Galekovic, Tongyik, Kamau, Genreau, Brattan

Would prefer Galekovic starting but it won't happen, and maybe La Rocca for Tongyik

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Galekovic

Muscat   Bort    Jako   Jamieson

Brattan      Kilkenny

Carrusca

Fitzy           Cahill    Kamau

This will be the best starting option but the madness of the goalkeeping selection will continue so Bouzanis. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm predicting another 0:1 win. (Cahill header 65min).

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

This will be the best starting option but the madness of the goalkeeping selection will continue so Bouzanis. 

This may be an unpopular opinion but I'm predicting another 0:1 win. (Cahill header 65min).

I don't think we will , but I wouldn't be surprised if we did given everyone seems to think its very one sided and those opinions more often than not come back and bite people in the ass

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1