Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Qtr F V Sydney 13 Sep away

Dylan

I think the two injury reports will define our season. If Bruno and Jako are out for a large amount of time (2 months+) the club needs to sign injury replacements ASAP. I dont think we can rely on Timmy for 90 minues 8+ games in a row.

1 minute ago, haz said:

I think the two injury reports will define our season. If Bruno and Jako are out for a large amount of time (2 months+) the club needs to sign injury replacements ASAP. I dont think we can rely on Timmy for 90 minues 8+ games in a row.

And Timmy will miss games due to Socceroo duty with friendlies lined up.

Good win, should have been 5 1 with silly errors in the midfield causing issues.

Wazza is on track with better defensive structure and tactics, better and more direct ball movement into our forward 3rd, however the inherent indecisiveness in our mid field is still visible especially with Killa and Brattan. 

The absence of a quality No 10 is costing us dearly with no real quality link ups around the box.

Arzani is better than Kamau and draws 2 defenders which he opens up nicely and creates chances.

No damage done and the score flattered the opposition. Wazza has it under control.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, haz said:

I've wondered about this for two seasons now. What would we do if Bruno was injured? He has been very durable so far, and this was somewhat bound to happen. 

Perhaps Cahill plays as a CF and Crowley replaces him after an hour. 

Interesting and disappointing times.

Edited by Harrison

4 minutes ago, Harrison said:

I've wondered about this for two seasons now. What would we do if Bruno was injured? He has been very durable so far, and this was somewhat bound to happen. 

Perhaps Cahill plays as a CF and Crowley replaces him after an hour. 

Interesting and disappointing times.

If either are out long term, I'd be hoping we can loan injury replacements from within the CFG network.  Must be some fringe players at bigger clubs that could do a job and benefit from the experience?

7 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good win, should have been 5 1 with silly errors in the midfield causing issues.

Wazza is on track with better defensive structure and tactics, better and more direct ball movement into our forward 3rd, however the inherent indecisiveness in our mid field is still visible especially with Killa and Brattan. 

The absence of a quality No 10 is costing us dearly with no real quality link ups around the box.

Arzani is better than Kamau and draws 2 defenders which he opens up nicely and creates chances.

No damage done and the score flattered the opposition. Wazza has it under control.

An understatement....

1 minute ago, neio said:

Have drawn Sydney fc in next round away 

We're fooooked

Good draw for us. It's helpful to play against the benchmark just to see if/how far behind we are. If we win then I may even consider a season ticket, if we lose we can remove the distraction of the FFA Cup that cost us the remainder of our season last season. Hopefully, we have a fully fit team for the game so that the conclusions are unequivocal

13 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Disagree with this point, we coughed up 2 soft goals against a generally poor opposition who also had other good chances. Last season we had this problem and it cost us many points, I can't see that it's changed, yes it's pre-season etc but WSW and SFC kept clean sheets against arguably better opponents

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Maybe it's the type of opposition we play but we seem far behind in forward creativity vs teams like Sydney, WSW, Adelaide etc.

I was at the Bentleigh-WSW match, and despite the score Wanderers didn't look very creative at all. They are an ugly side to watch. Bentleigh are a good footballing side, but had no punch in the penalty area.

We were following the City match via the web. Seems like we haven't eradicated our old failing of conceding goals too easily.

The injuries to Bruno and Jakobsen are a real worry. An X-ray will show whether there's any bone damage to Bruno's ankle, and the medical staff will then take the injury from there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I was at the Bentleigh-WSW match, and despite the score Wanderers didn't look very creative at all. They are an ugly side to watch. Bentleigh are a good footballing side, but had no punch in the penalty area.

We were following the City match via the web. Seems like we haven't eradicated our old failing of conceding goals too easily.

The injuries to Bruno and Jakobsen are a real worry. An X-ray will show whether there's any bone damage to Bruno's ankle, and the medical staff will then take the injury from there.

Glad to hear your view since my take is that it's always better to get a "State" earlier in FFA Cup because the state clubs are still in form at that point.

Here is a controversial opinion for you to flap about. Wouldn't really mind if we did get knocked out by Sydney. Sure, annoying, but its all about the league this season IMO. We all saw what happened to our league form after we won last year.

The FFA Cup curse is real.

8 hours ago, playmaker said:

No damage besides Bruno and Jako 😢

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

Here is a controversial opinion for you to flap about. Wouldn't really mind if we did get knocked out by Sydney. Sure, annoying, but its all about the league this season IMO. We all saw what happened to our league form after we won last year.

The FFA Cup curse is real.

TBH I would say it's probable that we will be knocked out. The quarters are on 13th September, leaving us only a fortnight to recover from last night's match. Bruno is bound to miss, whatever his injury turns out to be, and Jakobsen is probably no better than 50:50. And as shown last night again, despite our recruiting we have a porous defence that has shipped 8 goals in the past 3 matches. And Bouzanis - he might be able to distribute the ball well, but does he ever save a shot on goal?

8 minutes ago, Heart of Melbourne said:

Everyone seems to be blaming Bouzanis. Jamo is shit. I liked the look of bentleigh greens left back but didn't catch his name

IMO Bentleigh had a number of players who wouldn't look out of place in the A-League. We were discussing this last night during the match. Made us wonder how much actual local scouting we do.

• Like 1

Yes its 'likely' that we'll be knocked out in the next round, even at full strength Sydney away is the toughest you can get. Quarters are either of the 13th or 20th, so hopefully we get the extra week to get right, and even then it will be an ideal final practice match leading into the season proper.

I doubt either injury is that bad looking at them on face value, 3 weeks looks around the mark for both imo so it will be touch and go. We should have our marquee man by then.

IMO our defence looked really good last night, our two conceded goals excepting. The second goal was purely the midfields fault anyway. We didnt have the look of constantly being breached like last year in my opinion, although i say that with a grain of salt considering we were playing state opposition. Suggestions we regularly looked like conceding are very overstated imo. I'm more concerned with our slow buildup via midfield tbh.

Edited by bt50

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Interested to know did Brattan play behind Kilkenny, dropping between Bort and Jako at times to receive the ball from Bouzanis? Or was he playing a more advanced role ahead of Kilkenny? 

Brattan played DM with Kilkenny the more advanced. Thought Killa's game in particular was fairly disjointed tbh, although i acknowledge it can be difficult against the state teams when they sit back on you a bit.

1 minute ago, bt50 said:

Brattan played DM with Kilkenny the more advanced. Thought Killa's game in particular was fairly disjointed tbh, although i acknowledge it can be difficult against the state teams when they sit back on you a bit.

Ok so similar to the roles they've played in the last two practise games. How was Brattans performance? In particular his defensive/tackling side of his game...

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yes its 'likely' that we'll be knocked out in the next round, even at full strength Sydney away is the toughest you can get. Quarters are either of the 13th or 20th, so hopefully we get the extra week to get right, and even then it will be an ideal final practice match leading into the season proper.

I doubt either injury is that bad looking at them on face value, 3 weeks looks around the mark for both imo so it will be touch and go. We should have our marquee man by then.

IMO our defence looked really good last night, our two conceded goals excepting. The second goal was purely the midfields fault anyway. We didnt have the look of constantly being breached like last year in my opinion, although i say that with a grain of salt considering we were playing state opposition. Suggestions we regularly looked like conceding are very overstated imo. I'm more concerned with our slow buildup via midfield tbh.

It was one of those games too that every rebound and bounce seemed to just land at Hakoahs feet. There was a couple of times where they got 'through' because of a lucky bounce off a player landed kindly to their players. Ive had a few of those over the years and its fucking annoying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Our defence was competent at times but as usual, it switched off for the first goal, and was poorly positioned for the second. This has been a regular problem for us for years.

I can't see that the smurfs would have conceded either goal