Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2017 Qtr F V Sydney 13 Sep away

Dylan

Always tricky matches against non-league teams. Wazza knows that only too well. He was captain of Preston North End when they were knocked out of the FA Cup 2-0 by non-league Whitley Bay in 1989/90.

The key thing is we got though. And Wazza has more time to sort out his squad.

• Like 1

Content enough with that performance tbh. We looked much more solid at the back than we did last year in the cup and got good minutes into everyone. Malik prob my man of the match although I thought Muscat, Tongyik and Bruno all put in good shifts. Jamo looked good although turned it over on the first touch a few times. Kamau did a lot right but still lacks the finishing touch; hopefully Wazza sorts him out cos he could be such a gun at this level if they could get his decision making right.

• Like 1

An improved second half

Positives:

More positive with the ball although there was little pressure from PenPower, movement on and off the ball were better

We won

Negatives:

Tired later in the game when it became more open, lost control of the game with PenPower's direct long passing and rode our luck a few times abetted by poor keeping from Bouzanis.

Kamau poor, showed little improvement on either his ability to keep the ball when taking on defenders or with his final pass decision making

1 minute ago, belaguttman said:

Kamau poor, showed little improvement on either his ability to keep the ball when taking on defenders or with his final pass decision making

Wazza really needs to sort him out or he needs to be traded. The worst player on the pitch by far and really should not be starting with Arzani and Cavallo as real options.

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Content enough with that performance tbh. We looked much more solid at the back than we did last year in the cup and got good minutes into everyone. Malik prob my man of the match although I thought Muscat, Tongyik and Bruno all put in good shifts. Jamo looked good although turned it over on the first touch a few times. Kamau did a lot right but still lacks the finishing touch; hopefully Wazza sorts him out cos he could be such a gun at this level if they could get his decision making right.

Happy with the win and agree with all, but Malik?

What about his big turning circle, balls jumping of the feet and I hate that he goes into those lump tackles turning his back away.

Maybe the back looked a bit better because we played with  2 defensive midfielders? Wazza's input on a 4-3-3 formation.

Edited by Mr MO

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Happy with the win and agree with all, but Malik?

What about his big turning circle, balls jumping of the feet and I hate that he goes into those lump tackles turning his back away.

Quite comfortably i thought. Shielded the defence well so that they barely had to do a thing, passed it around fairly well and offered a little something going forward.

His tackles have always been an issue of his but theres much less emphasis on that at DM than at CB. All things considered I thought he was definitely our best player.

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Quite comfortably i thought. Shielded the defence well so that they barely had to do a thing, passed it around fairly well and offered a little something going forward.

His tackles have always been an issue of his but theres much less emphasis on that at DM than at CB. All things considered I thought he was definitely our best player.

Yeah I can see what you are saying. Agree he is better as DM than CB but still struggle to see him a future first 11 player. He got played in a couple of times, turned to slow or struggled to control and that puts the defensive under pressure with those turnovers. Such a different player than Kilkenny who very rarely loses the ball in those central positions.

Edited by Mr MO

Id describe it as a professional pre season performance.  Everyone did their job, we rarely looked out of control and it was a result that was entirely expected. Their striker Mendy had a great game but I thought Tongyik handled him well

• Like 3

As far as pre-season early-Cup fixtures go, this one was good. Joyce himself said that it is strange (to him) to have competitive pre-season matches but we emerged victorious.

Our performance was what you expect. We were in command, we looked to dominate and we scored two. Importantly we didn't concede, which was our weakness last season against teams who played on the counter. Still early days but Joyce indicated that we needed to improve on things like being clinical in front of goal and capitalising on possession.

It's a good start to build on. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harrison said:

As far as pre-season early-Cup fixtures go, this one was good. Joyce himself said that it is strange (to him) to have competitive pre-season matches but we emerged victorious.

Our performance was what you expect. We were in command, we looked to dominate and we scored two. Importantly we didn't concede, which was our weakness last season against teams who played on the counter. Still early days but Joyce indicated that we needed to improve on things like being clinical in front of goal and capitalising on possession.

It's a good start to build on. 

Yes. I also liked the way he emphasised those points. People are forgetting that it took two special free-kicks from Mooy to save us against Edgeworth Eagles two seasons ago, and last season it took two Bruno penalties to save us against Brisbane Strikers. So our performance last night was a great improvement.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. I also liked the way he emphasised those points. People are forgetting that it took two special free-kicks from Mooy to save us against Edgeworth Eagles two seasons ago, and last season it took two Bruno penalties to save us against Brisbane Strikers. So our performance last night was a great improvement.

This. I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it can be playing against a side where 8-10 capable blokes arent interested in leaving their own half. For mine the biggest thing was that we looked solid at the back, which imo we did, they really only had one half chance in each half and the defence were tidy on the ball.

Just now, bt50 said:

This. I think a lot of people underestimate how difficult it can be playing against a side where 8-10 capable blokes arent interested in leaving their own half. For mine the biggest thing was that we looked solid at the back, which imo we did, they really only had one half chance in each half and the defence were tidy on the ball.

Was very impressed with our back four. As @jw1739 said vast improvement on previous cup years. Does nobody remember the 90 minutes of heart attack watching Floreant pop long balls over a defence that was so high it felt like we were playing a 0-7-3 formation.

• Like 1