Melbourne Football

Eugene Galekovic

jeffplz

http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/melbourne-city-fc-signs-goalkeeper-eugene-galekovic/8hbcq95yqttl1qgy8s1q7u5ee

Melbourne City FC can confirm it has signed four-time A-League Goalkeeper of the Year Eugene Galekovic ahead of the 2017/18 season on a two-year deal.

The 36-year-old returns to his home town of Melbourne after making 238 appearances during a successful 10-year stint in Adelaide, where he forged a reputation as one of the country’s premier shot-stoppers.

He has been named in the Professional Footballers Association (PFA) Team of the Season on five occasions, and represented the Socceroos at the 2010 and 2014 FIFA World Cups.

Commenting on his arrival, Galekovic said: “I’m delighted to be joining Melbourne City. This is a great club; an ambitious club which gives its players every chance to succeed both on and off the field.

“To have the opportunity to return home and continue my career in Melbourne is very exciting and hopefully I can use my experience to push City to even greater heights.”

Melbourne City Director of Football, Michael Petrillo, added: “We are very excited to welcome Eugene to Melbourne City. He is one of the best goalkeepers in the country and has great experience and leadership qualities which will help strengthen our defence.”

“He knows what it takes to achieve success here in the A-League and I think he will be a very important addition to the squad.”

Galekovic sits third on the all-time A-League appearance list, behind Andrew Durante and Danny Vukovic and was also named in the PFA's A-League Team of the Decade.

The keeper will train on Monday as the side returns to CFA Melbourne to commence their pre-season schedule.

Shit's getting real. Fuck you Bouza!

Edited by jeffplz
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Seriously no guarantee. 

Oh imagine the outrage Bouzanis starting round 1

Can seriously see the Sorenson saga happen all over again

BUT. Who is the coach, did he make/want this signing?

Edited by haz

4 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I did look, but it was too far back for me to find. There was a bit of talk of this last season if I remember correctly

Thats why I asked, I remember a number of people posting the rumour.

Can we just get re-named again to Adelaide City FC or atleast merge with them.... will save time filling out less transfer paperwork.

2 hours ago, haz said:

Can seriously see the Sorenson saga happen all over again

BUT. Who is the coach, did he make/want this signing?

either we have an unannounced coach who oversaw the signing or CFG are a pack of dickheads.

other than that i have no complaints really about eugene.  hope he becomes the captain.  he's a good egg.  imo bouzanus and eugene are as good as many goalkeepers floating around europe and england.  maybe a stretch to put them in a big league right now but they could both be fine in holland or the B2 or the championship or similar.  eugene was good enough for the best leagues in his day.

Edited by nah brah

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, neio said:

Eugene has been called into the Socceroos squad for Ferderici, for Tuesday nights game

Seems like a very odd choice IMO 

No its not. 3rd Keeper with one game to go is basically a training aid. Its either used for older players just for the extra body or a young player coming through. Galekovic is based in Melbourne has can come in in very late notice.

Makes total sense

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

No its not. 3rd Keeper with one game to go is basically a training aid. Its either used for older players just for the extra body or a young player coming through. Galekovic is based in Melbourne has can come in in very late notice.

Makes total sense

I personally would have given it to a younger guy, giving him the experience and looking towards the future

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Makes total sense

in essence I agree, but I still think it also says Ange rates Euge over Dean.