Melbourne Football

Eugene Galekovic

jeffplz

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

in essence I agree, but I still think it also says Ange rates Euge over Dean.

Sure, but that includes Thomas and what ever the visitor reserve keeper is, Izzo probably etc.  

They probably thought, 'look critical game in a few days, who is someone we don't need to show much within the current camp. Im sure there is admin involved and all that crap with bringing a new person in (like a playing contract) and they probably didn't want to deal with it. 

We all know Galekovic is a better keeper, but he did tail off a bit last year IMO but thats up to him to convince the coaches otherwise, the club probably wants to develop Bouzanis now with an eye on future seasons, 26 is young for a keeper

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

What a relief it is to have a keeper who is unobtrusive, capable and no frills and just saves/catches what he should, organises the defence and is still sharp enough to read the game and make the odd good save. Of course we have defended better overall, which helps, but at least some of that is down to him. 

Just hope he doesn't get injured or sent off, although I don't think Wazza is a JVS/Valkinis i.e. not stupid enough to make a decision along the lines of the Sorensen benching debacle.   

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, dr lime said:

What a relief it is to have a keeper who is unobtrusive, capable and no frills and just saves/catches what he should, organises the defence and is still sharp enough to read the game and make the odd good save. Of course we have defended better overall, which helps, but at least some of that is down to him. 

Just hope he doesn't get injured or sent off, although I don't think Wazza is a JVS/Valkinis i.e. not stupid enough to make a decision along the lines of the Sorensen benching debacle.   

You mean like Thomas Sorenson was? Still can't figure out why Bouzanis was getting a run last season.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, haz said:

Knowing our luck he'll win Goalkeeper of the Year, then we sign him for another two years and next season he turns to shit.

Lel there's something about some of us City fans that manage to turn any positive into a negative...

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, JMSTEP123 said:

He wont be because Birras departure is imminent and he wont risk a youth keeper in a team where the only thing semi-going for old man Joyce is his "defensive record".

If this was true, why is he even on the bench? I call BS ... play him FFS

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

If this was true, why is he even on the bench? I call BS ... play him FFS

My tone was certain but I was merely speculating.... recent reports seem to indicate Birra departing and TBH I support it 100%. He deserves better than what we can offer. Sad because he could be the difference that makes a difference for us going forward.

• Like 1

The problem for keepers is that unlike other players, if they make a mistake, it often results in a goal conceded. He pulled off at least two fabulous saves last night, and arguably stopped us losing the match as a result. Depends what you remember, but he did way more good than bad, and to suggest he's lost all form is way off the mark. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

The problem for keepers is that unlike other players, if they make a mistake, it often results in a goal conceded. He pulled off at least two fabulous saves last night, and arguably stopped us losing the match as a result. Depends what you remember, but he did way more good than bad, and to suggest he's lost all form is way off the mark. 

Not wrong but that last one was ordinary. Did he misjudge it trying to save a corner thinking the elevation was going to row z?

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Once beaten at his near post. And the other he basically misjudged or let go a shot right above his head. You can tally the good and bad all you want. But 2 shocking errors have cost us 4 points. That's the bottom line and had a defender done so he'd be lynched. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Once beaten at his near post. And the other he basically misjudged or let go a shot right above his head. You can tally the good and bad all you want. But 2 shocking errors have cost us 4 points. That's the bottom line and had a defender done so he'd be lynched. 

Without him we'd have certainly lost last night. So lost two or saved one? I don't think he deserves all he is copping, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a change. 

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Yes. But the blooper against Victory was a shocker, as was the (apparent lack of) effort he put in to stop Castro's shot last night. Appears to me as if he has lapses in concentration, which lead to lapses in performance.

I said this in the birighitti thread - yea some are laughing saying GK's are the least of our problems etc.

I still stand by this - this 'stuff up' in playing Eugine all season sums up our total rudderless, directionless club. Only on an extreme level should this guy have started every week - and this is by no means having a go at EG - but the only reason should have been a horrific drop in form by MB.

Why? This is a salary and visa capped league. We had the opportunity to have an Aussie keeper, at the higher end of the talent pool available to us at relatively young age. Lets be frank, he is a better keeper than EG as well. EG is at the end of his career - AGE and LIST MANAGEMENT just has to play a major part in a game-day squad.

Thinking like this is why we have such high turnover over of players, dont have continuity in the GK position or now could have to again waste a visa spot on a GK. That is NOT how you win a tight salary and visa capped league.

We simply have no idea on what we are doing Im afraid. I just seem to disagree with everything we do. And our results show this.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Without him we'd have certainly lost last night. So lost two or saved one? I don't think he deserves all he is copping, but it wouldn't surprise me to see a change. 

Rubbish. Another keeper would save those average efforts on goal plus the blunders he made. Like he's the only one that can make saves. He didnt do his most basic job and cost us twice. Shame we cant add positives to our ladder position. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes. But the blooper against Victory was a shocker, as was the (apparent lack of) effort he put in to stop Castro's shot last night. Appears to me as if he has lapses in concentration, which lead to lapses in performance.

I don't think we're far apart on this. He's capable of worldie saves and severe lapses in the same match. I'm sure he felt gutted last night too, given the shift he put in. He'll feel he let himself and the team down. 

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Rubbish. Another keeper would save those average efforts on goal plus the blunders he made. Like he's the only one that can make saves. He didnt do his most basic job and cost us twice. Shame we cant add positives to our ladder position. 

Another keeper might have, we don't know. That doesn't negate the fact that one was a brilliant low save with great reaction, and another smothering a one on one that looked certain to go in. It doesn't eradicate the two howlers in two games which have, in the end, lost us points. It's frustrating that he both kept us in it last night, then blew it at the last. 

19 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

I said this in the birighitti thread - yea some are laughing saying GK's are the least of our problems etc.

I still stand by this - this 'stuff up' in playing Eugine all season sums up our total rudderless, directionless club. Only on an extreme level should this guy have started every week - and this is by no means having a go at EG - but the only reason should have been a horrific drop in form by MB.

Why? This is a salary and visa capped league. We had the opportunity to have an Aussie keeper, at the higher end of the talent pool available to us at relatively young age. Lets be frank, he is a better keeper than EG as well. EG is at the end of his career - AGE and LIST MANAGEMENT just has to play a major part in a game-day squad.

Thinking like this is why we have such high turnover over of players, dont have continuity in the GK position or now could have to again waste a visa spot on a GK. That is NOT how you win a tight salary and visa capped league.

We simply have no idea on what we are doing Im afraid. I just seem to disagree with everything we do. And our results show this.

The rules say that we have to have two GKs on senior contracts. Most clubs I think do this by having one clear preferred starter, and one less-experienced back-up. Selection is automatic. We have two senior GKs at the same time - I suggest that they are fairly close in abilities. If we select one all the time, the other is a total waste. Why not alternate them?

33 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The rules say that we have to have two GKs on senior contracts. Most clubs I think do this by having one clear preferred starter, and one less-experienced back-up. Selection is automatic. We have two senior GKs at the same time - I suggest that they are fairly close in abilities. If we select one all the time, the other is a total waste. Why not alternate them?

Merrick did that with Theoklitos and Galekovic in the first two seasons of the A-league until he decided with Theoklitos as his #1 and then Galekovic went to Adelaide.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Come on @jw1739, what keeper worthy of the name would tolerate that? Not to mention destabilising the defence every time you make a change.

Eugene was in fine form earlier and deserved to hold his spot. With 3 regular defenders out for the game just gone no gaffer was ever going to drop him, but he’s blundered again so....

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

Agree. He deserved to start, no point in changing just for the sake of it. But his form over the last few weeks now has trended downwards and despite some good saves, as @Niko said, he's cost us 4 points and a chance of securing 4th and closing to victory in third. Watching Castros 'worldy' goal on replay was laughable. He had his hands there and just dropped them out of the way. Shocking misjudgment - i don't care if there is dip or swerve - just get your hands on it and make sure it doesn't go in.

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Come on @jw1739, what keeper worthy of the name would tolerate that? Not to mention destabilising the defence every time you make a change.

Eugene was in fine form earlier and deserved to hold his spot. With 3 regular defenders out for the game just gone no gaffer was ever going to drop him, but he’s blundered again so....

Scoff. I don't mind. These blokes are supposed to be professionals who train every day. I don't buy the argument that about players only playing in one position or needing the same defence in front of them.  If you're not going to give the second GK a chance then you don't need two keepers of equal standard. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Another keeper might have, we don't know. That doesn't negate the fact that one was a brilliant low save with great reaction, and another smothering a one on one that looked certain to go in. It doesn't eradicate the two howlers in two games which have, in the end, lost us points. It's frustrating that he both kept us in it last night, then blew it at the last. 

I get what your saying, I don't agree with it. But is the bolded part accurate? The fact he blew it meant he did everything but keep us in it.