Melbourne Football

2017 Confederations Cup

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

Did you pull a sickie or did you man up.

Yeah took my medicine.

Fortunately we were both pretty busy, so I didn't get the normal lecture about German football superiority.

Will watch it tonight but it sounds like yet another "half a game" effort. Can get away with that in Asia but not against quality.

I thought we were clearly the better side for about 70 min tbh and they only threatened occasionally on the counter. They blew us off the park in the last 20 though, we ran out of legs big style.

Gersbach was terrific imo, and Sainbury MotM. He's clearly our only international level CB at the minute.

I can only assume Spiranovic is injured, because he's another defender who is (or at least was) international quality and can actually play the ball out of defence like Sainsbury does.

Degenek and Wright just look completely out of their depth (although they're only 23 and 24 respectively which surprised me), and McGowan was rubbish against the Saudis. Maybe giving someone like DeVere or Jurman a go could be worthwhile? 

Fantastic game. Not much in it, both sides had chances, but perhaps ours were better (Sainsbury in particular but also Kruse x 2 and Maclaren).

Fantastic goal to Troisi.

i guess that's how chiles coach saw it too. 2 subs at half time, is not a sign he was happy. 

As to the opposition, 2 Copa Americas, 1100 caps, massive names. World class opponents.

oh for those who are interested the game in 1987 that we won  (which I vaguely remember watching) was against a team selected entirely from the Chilean 2nd division.

• Like 1