Melbourne Football

2017 Confederations Cup

10 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

With the Confed Cup just around the corner and fuck all else going in I figured this deserved its own thread.

How far can we go? It will be tough to get out of the group but not impossible IMO.

I will be happy if we can score 3 goals or more. Germany, Cameroon and then Chile. Alot depends on the mindset of the players. 

26 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck all else going on? I guess living in @thisphantomfortress Fortress can make you complacent?

we have a Must Win World Cup qualifier against the Saudis in 48 hours. Don't win and we can kiss a trip to Russia good bye.

It's the biggest game since the Asian Cup final!

Haha I meant more in terms of city, I do concede that to you though. 

I'm going to @Embee's we will have pizza 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Idk why he picked Vukovic over Brad Jones (who plays for fermont in Netherlands) He had an awesome season and a good clean sheet and finished first, i think.

Yea Ange has never liked Jones for whatever reason. Its an interesting call as based on form he should be there, regardless Ryan is head and shoulders above the rest and probably first name on our team sheet. 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Yea Ange has never liked Jones for whatever reason. Its an interesting call as based on form he should be there, regardless Ryan is head and shoulders above the rest and probably first name on our team sheet. 

Is it because of his age. Because it should not really matter if he is inform at 35 

23 minutes ago, xXCiTyZeNXx said:

Is it because of his age. Because it should not really matter if he is inform at 35 

Both Jones and Vukovic are 3rd 4th choices. It's Ryan then Langerak and the rest is irrelevant apart from being involved in the squad.

0-4 to Brazil. Played well in patches but not consistently enough against a class outfit.

A few things. We basically started our 2nd XI and it showed, we just don't have the depth. Seriously missed Mooy, Rogic & of course Jedinak. Also our defensive stocks are so thin, once Sainsbury went off our defence was a joke.  

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Too much space between our lines

Ball speed and decision making too slow

Set piece defending was poor

Chile are a level above Brazil

Agree with all that except Chile. A great side yes, but no not a class above.

sth America World Cup qualifying.

Brazil P 14, 33points.(1st, qualified) 

Chile P 14, 23 points (4th)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Chile is sending their first 11 to the Confed Cup.

Germany isn't but will still beat us but not smash us and Cameroon could be anything. I still think if we score more than 3 goals we are doing well.

We are setting up and trying to play as an elite world class team when we are far from it. Playing this 343 is suicide. We can barely bring it out from the back and when we get it past the first line the front 3 are so static that the ball goes back.

I fear for Ange and the team in Russia it will be ugly.

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Disappointingly the Socceroos are playing like we did when we played 3 at the back, too much space between the back 3 and midfield along with too many turnovers in midfield putting the backline under constant pressure

With 3 at the back the overload in the midfield requires quick ball movement or it can get conjested and messy and you can cough it up easily. We just lack the technical ability to play this way. 

It's admirable that Ange wants to be proactive but continuing is doomed to failure. 

IMO we need to set up more pragmatically and play to our physical strengths.

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

We need to keep bringing through quality players.

Having the A League structured to reward consistent journeymen rather than talented youngsters is part of our problem.

Oh in other news I reckon Aziz was close to our best.

If we continue with the 3 at the back and wing backs I feel he is the best option down the left.

18 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

If we continue with the 3 at the back and wing backs I feel he is the best option down the left.

Absolutely agree. Has pleasantly surprised me in his game and a half back in and imo, offers a more well rounded package than Smith.

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck do the boys know how important it is to win tonight? The German bloke who sits next to me will be unbearably patronising if his mob bloody win.

Come on lads, get the job done.

Its all about you isn't it. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

I've decided to get a good night's sleep for work tomorrow instead of watching the game, therefore ensuring us a historic victory. You are welcome Australia.

Very noble of you. I'm fortunate enough to wake up whenever I want tomorrow so I'll stay up. 

Just now, n i k o said:

Luongo with the worst perfomance in a Socceroos shirt I've ever seen

zero composure, zero ball control, zero passing ability, zero defensive pressure

amazing to think he was the best player at the Asian Cup lol

An abortion of a first half followed up with a pretty good 2nd half. Clearly better side after their 3rd goal, but should have been further down at the half.

Ryan, Sainsbury and Rogic outstanding, Mooy and Behich had good second halves.

How Kruse continues to get a game is beyond me.

Luongo absolutely dreadful.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bt50 said:

An abortion of a first half followed up with a pretty good 2nd half. Clearly better side after their 3rd goal, but should have been further down at the half.

Ryan, Sainsbury and Rogic outstanding, Mooy and Behich had good second halves.

How Kruse continues to get a game is beyond me.

Luongo absolutely dreadful.

I reckon mooy must be suffering from a bit of fatigue given how many games he has played this year. He has been off a bit recently

19 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck do the boys know how important it is to win tonight? The German bloke who sits next to me will be unbearably patronising if his mob bloody win.

Come on lads, get the job done.

Did you pull a sickie or did you man up.