Melbourne Football

"Convince me otherwise" thread

jeffplz

1 hour ago, HeartFc said:

Here we go. Convince me marriage is a good idea.. 

The legal commitment makes it much harder to separate. This helps maintains correct family structures (i.e. a mummy and a daddy. No queer shit) so that people on average have a better upbringing. This has numerous benefits but ultimately just does what it can to help maintain civil society. Less crime, less junkies, less losers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, strider said:

Depression, anxiety and resulting suicide is nature's way of eradicating inferior humans.

ADHD is a by-product of the technology age. 

Ur mum is fat.

Convince me otherwise

Is this because the world needs more Misc Brahs rather than it needed inferior humans like John Curtin or Ernest Hemingway?

• Like 1

My thoughts are OUT on ADHD but a lot of kids I went to school got diagnosed with it when they were in their final years of school and underperforming and this was just prior to PPL getting their first Nokia Phones... so I dont think it has much to do with Technology.

The major issue is the overdiagnosis of ADHD - Which was what I was witnessing as school because WA at the time (I dont know about know) was diagnosing it at rather high rate in comparison to the other places in the Western World at the time.

I also had a number of friends who admitted to lying about ADHD to get extra Exam Time in yr12 and of course a second income through medication sales.

Also no shit my Mum is fat... she is sixty and has had four kids.

• Like 1

Here we go with another "in my day" post...but IMO there's over-diagnosis right across the mental health spectrum. Schools these days are just glorified playgrounds. I remember my first day at school. Deposited at the front gate, because it was the first day met by the form teacher, mothers and others not allowed to set foot on the school premises except for one day per year - Open Day. Into the classroom, sit down at those old 2-seater desks, shut up, face the blackboard, and the first lesson was the alphabet. No stuffing about. No pampering. Just bloody well get on with it.

Children today are just molly-coddled namby-pambies. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Here we go with another "in my day" post...but IMO there's over-diagnosis right across the mental health spectrum. Schools these days are just glorified playgrounds. I remember my first day at school. Deposited at the front gate, because it was the first day met by the form teacher, mothers and others not allowed to set foot on the school premises except for one day per year - Open Day. Into the classroom, sit down at those old 2-seater desks, shut up, face the blackboard, and the first lesson was the alphabet. No stuffing about. No pampering. Just bloody well get on with it.

And that experience obviously went along way to making you the happy go lucky guy we see today.😃 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I'm technically a child too JW:ph34r:

On 16/05/2017 at 5:31 PM, jw1739 said:

Well if a few more had my experience with the Hard As Nails elderly female (was going to write lady, but it's important to be grammatically correct) I had in grade 1, it would certainly give them a different frame of reference, but you know what @jw1739, not all changes are for the worst & my kids being taught by teachers actually interested in TEACHING and not just angry and frightening the shit out of little 5 year olds is not actually a bad thing.

Now I do think the pendulum has swung too far the other way, but it didn't come from a good place, so I don't want to go back.

4 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Understand that argument but you can raise kids without a piece of paper which says you'll love her when she has the sniffles. 

Slippery slope. It starts like that and then next minute people are being legitimately recognized as "trans-species".

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 11:46 PM, HeartFc said:

Here we go. Convince me marriage is a good idea.. 

I don't think it would be possible to produce one silver bullet type of reason that would convince you. I suspect that you might be looking at it from a very personal perspective (i.e. "why should I get married?) rather than as a question addressed in the context of society as a whole. All I would point to is that most (I think "all" might be an overstatement) civilizations have practised marriage, in one form or another, and that it has evolved over a very long period of time as one of the fundamental building blocks of a stable society. When broadly defined it is considered to be a cultural universal.

That doesn't mean to say that it should not be reviewed, but IMO once you start taking one or more of those building blocks away, especially if you do it quite quickly in relative terms, then you begin to undermine the stability on which we build our lives.

I guess the reason I bring it up is because marriage imo has become shambolic. Half end up in divorce, women initiate 70% of those. Why? Because they can. No fault divorce and a bias family courts system means women have been given the golden ticket. If you give the golden ticket to hypergamous bunch in more and more materialistic society you end up with domestic assault, broken families, climbing suicide rates and over decline in civilisation. I'd go as far as saying women are so emotionally driven its just too dangerous to allow them so much power. I'm not advocating violence or oppression however I do believe there needs to be a balance between the sexes.. and balance does not necessarily mean equality. Problem is so many men out their no longer have a firm set of plums and bow down to the all mighty vag at the drop of a hat.

At this rate I'd never marry a western women.

5 hours ago, HeartFc said:

I guess the reason I bring it up is because marriage imo has become shambolic. Half end up in divorce, women initiate 70% of those. Why? Because they can. No fault divorce and a bias family courts system means women have been given the golden ticket. If you give the golden ticket to hypergamous bunch in more and more materialistic society you end up with domestic assault, broken families, climbing suicide rates and over decline in civilisation. I'd go as far as saying women are so emotionally driven its just too dangerous to allow them so much power. I'm not advocating violence or oppression however I do believe there needs to be a balance between the sexes.. and balance does not necessarily mean equality. Problem is so many men out their no longer have a firm set of plums and bow down to the all mighty vag at the drop of a hat.

At this rate I'd never marry a western women.

the trick is to be broke