Jump to content
Melbourne Football
Sign in to follow this  
Jovan

To refrigerate or to not refrigerate that is the question.

Recommended Posts

Jovan    2,771

As the learned @malloy suggested.

I have been in a decade long debate with the wife about the fridging of Vegemite. 

Your thoughts.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadete    6,035
Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

Vegemite is clearly a cupboard condiment 

Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    6,777

Items in dispute with MrsJW (although I've given up disputing) include:

- sauces, condiments, pickles and relishes (e.g. tomato sauce, HP sauce, barbeque sauce, chillie sauce, hoy sin sauce, mustards, mustard pickle, gherkins, beetroot slices etc. etc.).
- condensed milk.

I say no, she says yes. I say if you need to put them in the fridge then you've bought too big a bottle darling.

Anyway, the main problem is that I can't find the condensed milk when I want a condensed milk sandwich, because it's hidden somewhere in amongst the other stuff.

And yes, I used to use a teaspoon to scrape up the left-over cake mix from the bowl when Mum used to make cakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimmy    3,130
29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I can't find the condensed milk when I want a condensed milk sandwich

Wtf is this?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    2,771
Just now, Jimmy said:

Wtf is this?

Just about to ask the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Items in dispute with MrsJW (although I've given up disputing) include:

- sauces, condiments, pickles and relishes (e.g. tomato sauce, HP sauce, barbeque sauce, chillie sauce, hoy sin sauce, mustards, mustard pickle, gherkins, beetroot slices etc. etc.).
- condensed milk.

I say no, she says yes. I say if you need to put them in the fridge then you've bought too big a bottle darling.

Anyway, the main problem is that I can't find the condensed milk when I want a condensed milk sandwich, because it's hidden somewhere in amongst the other stuff.

And yes, I used to use a teaspoon to scrape up the left-over cake mix from the bowl when Mum used to make cakes.

OMG I struggle through a starburst these days because they're too sweet. How the hell do you manage that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jw1739    6,777
10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Wtf is this?

 

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Just about to ask the same.

Ah, well, showing my age I suppose. Condensed milk, and brown sugar, sandwiches were both incomparable delicacies and luxuries of my childhood. Two slices of bread (white of course) thickly spread with imported NZ butter, topped by lashings of the aforesaid Nestle's condensed milk or brown sugar. Often given to children for their school lunches, but more often than not consumed on the way to school in the mornings.

You younger chaps don't know what you've missed out on.

Very Anglo of course.

Johnno will confirm all the above. And the scraping of the mixing bowl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Johnno will confirm all the above. And the scraping of the mixing bowl.

I'm only mid 20s but nothing would cause fights more than who got to do this in our household when we were kids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,191
9 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'm only mid 20s but nothing would cause fights more than who got to do this in our household when we were kids

Same. Probably better than eating the actual cake itself

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    2,771
4 minutes ago, Embee said:

Same. Probably better than eating the actual cake itself

Always hated the taste of the wooden spoon. Always forgot and would lunge for the lick and always always regret it and search quickly for a replacement stainless or plastic spoon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
malloy    3,081

Just to kick of some more debate. Things I don't store in the fridge:

Butter, Vegemite, jams, tomato sauce, peanut butter, eggs, soy sauce, chilli sauce.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,029
18 minutes ago, malloy said:

Just to kick of some more debate. Things I don't store in the fridge:

Butter, Vegemite, jams, tomato sauce, peanut butter, eggs, soy sauce, chilli sauce.

Agree with all of those. Our eggs go in the fridge but only for space, more than happy to leave them out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, malloy said:

Butter - fridge

Vegemite - pantry

jams - pantry

tomato sauce - fridge

peanut butter - pantry

eggs - fridge (more a space issue than preference)

soy sauce - pantry

chilli sauce - fridge

 

7 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I store Vegemite in the rubbish bin. 

Looks like we got a modern day Adam Sandler over here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haz    1,691

Living in the tropics everything once opened has to be in the fridge otherwise you'll be throwing out food/condiments every 2nd day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimmy    3,130

Butter - Pantry, unless I'm getting irked by how quickly we're going through it. That's when it goes in fridge.

Vegemite - pantry

jams - pantry

tomato sauce - pantry

peanut butter - pantry

eggs - fridge. Not a space issue. Dunno why I do this though.

soy sauce - pantry

chilli sauce - pantry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Butter - Pantry, unless I'm getting irked by how quickly we're going through it. That's when it goes in fridge.

Vegemite - pantry

jams - pantry

tomato sauce - pantry

peanut butter - pantry

eggs - fridge. Not a space issue. Dunno why I do this though.

soy sauce - pantry

chilli sauce - pantry

Is your fridge just eggs and beer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesla    8,062

Seriously do this many people actually eat Vegemite and wtf is wrong with you?

Edited by Tesla

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Seriously do this many people actually eat Vegemite and wtf is wrong with you?

I tend not to, I don't have any in my house. But if for some reason someone offers it to me on toast with avo I wouldn't say no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Embee    2,191
2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Seriously do this many people actually eat Vegemite and wtf is wrong with you?

Surprised you didn't go with the tried and tested 'anglos :droy:

As for me:

Butter - Fridge.

Vegemite - Pantry

Jams - Fridge

Tomato sauce - Pantry

Peanut butter - Pantry

Eggs - Fridge. Also unsure of why I do this.

Soy sauce - Pantry

Chilli sauce - Fridge

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesla    8,062
1 minute ago, Embee said:

Surprised you didn't go with the tried and tested 'anglos :droy:

As for me:

Butter - Fridge.

Vegemite - Pantry

Jams - Fridge

Tomato sauce - Pantry

Peanut butter - Pantry

Eggs - Also unsure of why I do this.

Soy sauce - Pantry

Chilli sauce - Fridge

I would have tbh but Jovan is amongst the worst offenders in this thread so my hands are tied. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jovan    2,771

My fridge.

Sauce any (soy , chilli, tomatoe bbq worschestershire)

Ajvar.

Some weird preserved apricots that mother in law put in their when we got married but for some reason were not allowed to throw out (greeks).

Vegemite which on toast for me is the best breakfast. 

Pantry. Any carbo dry stuff.

By the way I got 2 fridges always full. Garage one is basically drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GreenSeater    2,564

Butter/Margarine: Fridge

Vegemite: Pantry

Jams: Fridge

Tomato Sauce: Fridge

Peanut Butter: Pantry

Eggs: don't eat them but parents put them in the fridge

Soy Sauce: Pantry

Chilli Sauce: Fridge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bt50    3,029

There seems to be a correlation between the closer you were raised to Melbourne, the more stuff you put in the fridge...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimmy    3,130
2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Is your fridge just eggs and beer?

Yeah. Plus meat, veg and cheese.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

Seriously do this many people actually eat Vegemite and wtf is wrong with you?

Vegemite is the bomb. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

Butter/Margarine: Fridge

Vegemite: Pantry

Jams: Fridge

Tomato Sauce: Fridge

Peanut Butter: Pantry

Eggs: don't eat them but parents put them in the fridge

Soy Sauce: Pantry

Chilli Sauce: Fridge

Did I just meet my soul mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HeartFc    2,493

Heres the ethnic version. 

Hungarian Salami: Fridge

Ajvar: Fridge 

Ogorki: Fridge 

Humus: Fridge

Taramosalata: Fridge

Kielbasa: Fridge 

20 litre drum on olive oil: Bottom cupboard (We don't know that word, "pan tree")

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tesla    8,062
2 hours ago, HeartFc said:

Heres the ethnic version. 

Hungarian Salami: Fridge

Ajvar: Fridge 

Ogorki: Fridge 

Humus: Fridge

Taramosalata: Fridge

Kielbasa: Fridge 

20 litre drum on olive oil: Bottom cupboard (We don't know that word, "pan tree")

 

Ethnic version of this question should be what do you store in the Main Fridge and what do you store in the Second Fridge or even Third Fridge.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
n i k o    4,676
12 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Ethnic version of this question should be what do you store in the Main Fridge and what do you store in the Second Fridge or even Third Fridge.

This.

Cured meats and extra blocks of cheese, additional alcohol for random relative showings, in the second fridge. All the things on HeartFC list in the first fridge unless you have a litre tub of each that you got off your wog mate then second fridge. Third fridge is purely alcohol unless you have fresh seafood or meat prepared for the days event. 

Also more often than not the second fridge will be the furthest away with the first fridge and third within closer proximity.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cadete    6,035
10 hours ago, Tesla said:

Ethnic version of this question should be what do you store in the Main Fridge and what do you store in the Second Fridge or even Third Fridge.

LOL - So true... took me back to West Brunswick circa 1991 when I read that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×