Melbourne Football

EF 2: Melbourne City vs Perth Glory, 23/04/17, 7:00pm, AAMI Park

haz

Sunday started great seeing next gen's team win including a pearler of a goal. Both sides gave their all, and they could hardly move by the final whistle. Sure it was park football but it was a lot better than what I saw of the City vs PG game. Mind you, unlike most posters here I thought that City did better than what I had expected them to do - I was expecting a 3-0 loss with only one shot on target.

Valkanis, threw a curve ball by selecting a mid-field that was totally new. It did confuse the team - sadly it was the City team. If I was playing in a finals side, and had a completely new mid-field that was totally uncalled for, that is, not forced by injury or by suspensions then I would feel like the rest of the team did. I think last night's match will propel Valkanis into sporting folklore - the way Eddie the Eagle became a legend. Valkanis is ready for international football coach of Tuvalu.

I can criticise players but in practice the strongest criticism should be reserved for the coaching bench. Indeed the only criticism should be for Valkanis and his team. If CFG want a bigger team then they better start in the coaches boxes.

41 minutes ago, JohnV said:

Hi All,

First post on this forum.

As a MVFC supporter I don't care too much about the result. And I am not going to bang on about last nights performance. I would have preferred to see City go to Sydney next week though.

What does concern me is the low attendance. I have been to a few City home games and was tossing up whether to go to this one. Had it been at 5pm we probably would have gone. But I don't think you can blame the low attendance on the starting time.

It would have been nice for football in general if there was a decent crowd of about 15k. I don't know why the crowd figures are not getting better. I am sure this will be analysed by people who are more capable of this sort of thing than I am.

Ā 

JohnV you saw the way that we played, that's why the crowds aren't getting better. As Tony999 said, do that game after game, season after season and growth of the market in Melbourne stagnates. This should be a much bigger concern for FFA that it is, it affects the TV deal, League and FFA revenue and the gameĀ as a whole

2 minutes ago, strider said:

700km? Are you from New Caledonia?Ā 

No, north east Victoria (near Bright). 325km each way, I've averaged it up to the nearest hundred for heightened dramatic effect:tooth:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, carlings said:

At Least some lucky bloke won some cash at half time. A shit night for the remaining 9943 that fronted up last night.Ā 

Heard a rumour from a club source that Bruno and Tim aren't even on speaking terms and has been like that for some time.Ā 

It wouldn't be the most surprising outcome to me if Bruno left.

Edited by fensaddler

45 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

JohnV you saw the way that we played, that's why the crowds aren't getting better. As Tony999 said, do that game after game, season after season and growth of the market in Melbourne stagnates. This should be a much bigger concern for FFA that it is, it affects the TV deal, League and FFA revenue and the gameĀ as a whole

No, north east Victoria (near Bright). 325km each way, I've averaged it up to the nearest hundred for heightened dramatic effect:tooth:

Belaguttman, i used to be in the same boat i travelled down from Albury to watch this crap until i moved to Melbourne now i watch it week after week, maybe thats why i am so so angry right now. But like you i chose not attend this shemozzle and saved Ā $85 .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Good comeback. Everyone whinging and moaning about crowd numbers while sitting on their arses watching Foxtel. No wonder the culture stinks.

Sorry. I wasn't being serious.Ā 

But on a serious note i i am not complaining about nobody showing up. I am complaining about nobody being given a reason to show up.

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

You remember the Magilton and Darukovic days when you guys got 7.5kĀ to a game at one stage?Ā Same thing here mate. Play shit football CONSISTENTLY your numbers will drop dramatically.

Tend to forget those days. We still had decent crowds overall that year.

I won't comment any further, it's not my place to do so.

Just hope you get your shit together and you end up getting regular crowds of around 15k to keep the club going. I think it's doable.

TBH, given that our season had been going downhill since the end of November, given the scheduling of the match, given the crowd we attracted to the corresponding match last season (11,273), and our previous results against Perth this season especially only one week prior,Ā the crowd was pretty much what I expected.

Yes, it is a bit disappointing to read on here about how many people chose not to go, but it's their choice and I respect it. Neither the club nor FFA offers much inducement to attend these matches. It's not cheap (cost us $140 for our usual Gold Class seats). Sundays are always problematic because of PT scheduling and maintenance - we had to use train replacement buses on the way home with no warning beforehand. Ā Small things, perhaps, but when your teamĀ is not playing well they are certainly not incentives to encourage you to go to the ground.

Overall IMO our supporters are pretty loyal. I see many familiar faces going in on the train for every home match. However, City has not exactly done very well with its links to supporters this season, and they have a lot of work to do to grow our supporter base from here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnV said:

Tend to forget those days. We still had decent crowds overall that year.

I won't comment any further, it's not my place to do so.

Just hope you get your shit together and you end up getting regular crowds of around 15k to keep the club going. I think it's doable.

I believe that year you guys averaged 18.5k which was coincidentally your worst average for a given season.Ā Not a bad average to have nevertheless.Ā 

After 8 seasons of the shitest football I'm surprised we actually managed to average 9438Ā (not including the derby).Ā Imagine if we actually played some decent football.

3 hours ago, playmaker said:

Good comeback. Everyone whinging and moaning about crowd numbers while sitting on their arses watching Foxtel. No wonder the culture stinks.

I sincerely doubt that the people who stayed home to watch the game would be complaining about the attendance figures, because that would be pretty stupid. Personally, as a Geelong supporter, I'm kicking myself over making the choice to miss one of Selwood's greatest ever games, in favour ofĀ thatĀ (and paying $60-odd for the privilege).

There's something to be said for the 'don't turn up, you're only encouraging them that they're putting out a good product' philosophy. I mean, how quickly would Munn be getting the arse if we were playing in front of 4,000 every week?

I will say though, after potting them following the last home game, I think Melburnians deserve a heap of credit. They continued to make themselves heard, even when there was little that the team was doing to justify any support, they tried one (very ambitious, in my opinion) 'If you love City, stand up' chant late in the game and quickly shelved it when it was clear that the rest of the stadium wasn't in the mood and the trip down memory lane with past player chants was perfectly done:Ā summed up the dire state of the game and the boredom that had permeated. The boos were very audible too (not sure if they were picked up on TV) and hopefully they gave the coaches, players and administration a fair kick that this sort of rubbish is not acceptable and won't continue to be tolerated.

Well done, guys and girls.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Whats your address for research purposes?Ā 

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

2 things..

why was boozanis being booed?

why were there so many seats empty when tickets in the sections i looked were scarce? Ā seriously there was less than a third of seats full in a section where i bought the last 2 seats? Ā is it members not turning up?Ā 

How many usernames do you actually have across this forum and 442

Raking over old coals is therapeutic :wacko:

But anyway just a snap shot of our shitty defence in pics.

The first goal, ball payed long and wide to Keogh and Castro senses an opportunity from within the Perth defence. He's next to Kamau (bottom right) as he launches a run. You'd think Kamau might also sense the danger and track Castro or at least give him a hard time. NO :hkpalm:

34347909365_e3286b47b2_h.jpg

Castro arrives on his own to help Keogh. Kamau nowhere to be seen. Outrun by a 34 yr old.

34307054276_6292838736_h.jpg

Oh, there's Bruce now ! Meanwhile Ruon has given up and let Ivan deal with Castro while he ambles into position. Look at the open spaces.

34217191271_da059ed618_h.jpg

Gosh, yawning gap opens up for a good sight on goal. Four players in proximity to Castro FFS.

33537286013_cd5016bc17_b.jpg

Our defensive frailties in a snapshot. You'd think that the players would have identified a few key opponents as 'dangerous' and must be stopped/negated at any cost - no matter what you nominal position is on the ground. Piss poor mentality and preparation. Just take a leaf out of Arnie's book please. Go get f#$@ Valkanis and the whole coaching crew. Cleanout.

There absolutely zero doubt in my mind that Tongyik was at fault for the first goal. Kamau's lack of tracking isnt great but Tongyik is caught ball watching there. He should be blocking the gap whilst Franjic actively jocleys.

You can see the kid oozes potential, but he lacks serious concentration and has perhaps got away with his defensive frailties in the name of #yoof.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HEARTinator said:

Raking over old coals is therapeutic :wacko:

But anyway just a snap shot of our shitty defence in pics.

The first goal, ball payed long and wide to Keogh and Castro senses an opportunity from within the Perth defence. He's next to Kamau (bottom right) as he launches a run. You'd think Kamau might also sense the danger and track Castro or at least give him a hard time. NO :hkpalm:

34347909365_e3286b47b2_h.jpg

Castro arrives on his own to help Keogh. Kamau nowhere to be seen. Outrun by a 34 yr old.

34307054276_6292838736_h.jpg

Oh, there's Bruce now ! Meanwhile Ruon has given up and let Ivan deal with Castro while he ambles into position. Look at the open spaces.

34217191271_da059ed618_h.jpg

Gosh, yawning gap opens up for a good sight on goal. Four players in proximity to Castro FFS.

33537286013_cd5016bc17_b.jpg

Our defensive frailties in a snapshot. You'd think that the players would have identified a few key opponents as 'dangerous' and must be stopped/negated at any cost - no matter what you nominal position is on the ground. Piss poor mentality and preparation. Just take a leaf out of Arnie's book please. Go get f#$@ Valkanis and the whole coaching crew. Cleanout.

great post!!!

Ā 

1. Ā tongyik can probably be blamed for a goal every game he has playedĀ 

2. cleanout! Ā yes. Ā that should be the mantra. Ā we need a new boss who has a big enough presence to make some tough decisions. Ā there is zero reason that we cannot win everything next year. but it is going to take a boss to come in and sort out this shit. Ā a boss who has the backing of the club 100%.

Edited by nah brah

Can we just close this Thread as it seems to me that raking over the coals just brings back to me the bloody awful defending for the whole season was the main reason we are where we are lost and adrift in a sea of disappointment and heartache, well it is for me anyway i just want to forget this terrible season and move on. Lets think about next season and how the club should fix the problems that afflict us.

Ā 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Can we just close this Thread as it seems to me that raking over the coals just brings back to me the bloody awful defending for the whole season was the main reason we are where we are lost and adrift in a sea of disappointment and heartache, well it is for me anyway i just want to forget this terrible season and move on. Lets think about next season and how the club should fix the problems that afflict us.

Ā 

Mate don't forget the toothless and directionless attack that was saved by set pieces and penalties.