Melbourne Football

EF 2: Melbourne City vs Perth Glory, 23/04/17, 7:00pm, AAMI Park

haz

28 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Wasn't the PAX 22-23k for the FFA GF but there were just over 20?

The FFA Cup Final attendance was 18,751, and indeed it was several thousand lower than the various predictions.

IMO attendance on Sunday will be somewhere 10-12k. Last year 11,273 but that was a 5 pm KO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The FFA Cup Final attendance was 18,751, and indeed it was several thousand lower than the various predictions.

IMO attendance on Sunday will be somewhere 10-12k. Last year 11,273 but that was a 5 pm KO.

we'll be lucky to crack 10k, afl on and kids at school the next day....

32 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Well the usual 3 of us are going and I'm bringing 3 extras. Anyone else bringing extras?

Nope standard 6. Although getting the 5 and 7yo aboard took a bit of convincing. Lucky Tuesday is a public holiday. But 7pm really isn't appealing to go to but I guess its all about the TV audience. 

Be interesting to know what the Perth viewing numbers were last year at 5pm (3pm local) and that could be the main factor.

Unfortunately won't be able to see the game on Sunday as will be in London.

Hopefully we can defend a lot better than the last game against them. For me Sorenson has to come in. It's absolutely ridiculous that we should have a visa player sitting on the bench. If we was never going to be first choice we should have parted company in January.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Unfortunately won't be able to see the game on Sunday as will be in London.

Hopefully we can defend a lot better than the last game against them. For me Sorenson has to come in. It's absolutely ridiculous that we should have a visa player sitting on the bench. If we was never going to be first choice we should have parted company in January.

Perhaps he declined to go? The "Sorensen Saga" is very hard to understand. It looked to me that he was set for a post-playing career within CFG, and it's hard to imagine him speaking out of turn or falling out with Melbourne City management. However it does look as though he has blotted his copybook somehow.

On 21/04/2017 at 10:15 AM, Ashy said:

we'll be lucky to crack 10k, afl on and kids at school the next day....

I know it's an official school day on the Monday, but this is Melbourne. A large number of students will be away due to the Melbourne tradition of taking an extra day off for a long weekend. As a result the schools won't bother teaching anything and give the kids bullshit stuff to do, so 90% of those who could go won't go either.

Im not advocating it, just saying that's what happens. If you can drag your kids out the door they won't miss a thing if they doze off in class.

On 19/04/2017 at 7:59 PM, haz said:

Just to put into perspective how shit we are.

"City have beaten top-six opposition just twice all season, the last being three months ago — a 1-0 win over Western Sydney."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-19/write-me-and-city-off-at-your-peril-warns-cahill/8454514?pfmredir=sm

That's even worse than I expected.

On a seperate note, anyone still waiting on their tickets? Ordered mine on the phone, hasn't shown up yet in my email.

City shake-up for Perth final
gettyimages-669077192.jpg?itok=YVLTu34u&mtime=1492839693
Source: 
AAP

It's a fine line between inconsistency and unpredictability, and Melbourne City are about to find out on which side of the A-League divide they belong.

City host Perth on Sunday night in a elimination final, with the winner sent to a semi-final next Saturday against Sydney FC.

It's an intriguing match-up, not least because it's a replay of last weekend's crazy 5-4 result in Perth - and last year's elimination final won by City.

It's most interesting because this is the match that will define City's season.

A loss would be a demoralising end to a season of great promise that evaporated after their FFA Cup final success.

But a win would equal City last season's result - and earn a shot at the premiers in which an unlikely victory would be a huge bonus.

Coach Michael Valkanis said his side were prepared for the showdown with the Glory, who City haven't beaten this season in three matches.

"It's finals football. The rest is all history. We can only write history now," he said.

"They're ready and up for it - you can see it in their eyes.

"Everyone's fully fit and ready to go."

In light of the 5-4 loss, Valkanis is shaking up his side.

The first-season coach said there'd be "a little bit of both" personnel and structural change from the defeat in Perth.

That could mean a formation with three at the back or four.

And it could mean recalls for creative duo Nick Fitzgerald and Anthony Caceres, or young defender Ruon Tongyik.

On the eve of the match, Valankis isn't revealing any planned changes but one thing is for sure - City will attack and won't die wondering.

Valkanis said he'd learned from his years at reigning champions Adelaide United that sticking to a philosophy could bring rich rewards.

"You know what really frustrates me?," Valkanis said.

"We deem good football to be a team defending, structured with lines and we say 'Oh, fantastic; well coached; they defend so well'.

"But if we see a team attacking and creating so many opportunities ... the score last week could have been 4-5 but, because we didn't defend well, we were criticised.

"We do things differently to everyone else. We're not that structured team.

"We're unpredictable. They won't know what we're doing. A lot of teams don't know.

"I have been somewhere where I've seen it happened and how it's evolved over three years."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/04/22/city-shake-perth-final

Guide to 2nd A-League elimination final

Emma Kemp - NZ Newswire on April 22, 2017, 5:41 pm

A GUIDE TO THE SECOND A-LEAGUE ELIMINATION FINAL:

Melbourne City (4th) v Perth (5th)

Sunday, April 23 at AAMI Park - 7:00pm (AEST)

The winner will play Sydney FC in an A-League semi-final on Saturday 29 April at Allianz Stadium.

MELBOURNE CITY:

* Coach: Michael Valkanis

* Captain: Bruno Fornaroli

* Championships: None

* Premierships: None

* Finals campaigns: 4

* Why they'll win: On their day, this attack can beat anyone, as shown against Sydney FC in November's FFA Cup final. Since then, their form has been shaky yet their ability to turn it on can't be underestimated.

* X-factor: Fornaroli and Tim Cahill are near inseparable when it comes to scoring in big games. At 37, Cahill's aerial capacity is still up there with the best in the world, while Fornaroli adds something extra special in open play.

PERTH:

* Coach: Kenny Lowe

* Captain: Rostyn Griffiths

* Championships: None

* Premierships: None

* Finals campaigns: 5

* Why they'll win: Melbourne has been the Glory's most-fruitful away destination this season. And, while Sunday's insane 5-4 win in Perth was wildly open, a deeper-lying counter-attacking approach could be just the ticket in this rematch.

* X-factor: Diego Castro. Lowe lets the gifted Spaniard roam free, and that's exactly when the reigning Johnny Warren Medallist is most dangerous with his service to strikers Andy Keogh and Adam Taggart.

HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORD:

Played 23 City 6 wins, Perth 10 wins, drawn 7

REGULAR-SEASON RECORD 2016-17:

* City: 11 wins, 6 draws, 10 losses (goals for: 49, goals against: 44)

* Glory: 10 wins, 9 draws, 8 losses (goals for: 53, goals against: 53)

PAST FIVE MEETINGS:

* 16/04/17: Perth 5 City 4

* 27/12/16: City 3 Perth 3

* 21/10/16: City 2 Perth 3

* 17/04/16: City 2 Perth 0 (elimination final)

* 03/04/16: Perth 3 City 2

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/a/35125667/guide-to-2nd-a-league-elimination-final/#page1

"You know what really frustrates me?," JW said.

"We deem good football to be a team defending, structured with lines and we say 'Oh, fantastic; well coached; they defend so well'.

"But we see our City attacking and creating so many opportunities...but defending so incompetently that we keep losing matches that we should have drawn, and drawing matches that we should have won, and after seven seasons of it we're pretty fed up. But the coach thinks we unfairly criticise the team."

'SELFISH' PLAYERS WILL BE CITY'S DOWNFALL - KEOGH

By Clement Tito Apr 22 2017 5:33PM

Perth Glory coach Kenny Lowe and striker Andy Keogh are confident Glory can expose Melbourne City’s frail defence in Sunday night’s Elimination Final.

Glory have the wood over City this season with two wins and a draw and all games have been high scoring, notably last week’s Round 27  5-4 at nib Stadium.

City coach Michael Valkanis and veteran Tim Cahill have hinted this week they will stick with their attacking philosophy at home because of their strengths upfront.

But Keogh feels that’s how Glory can punish them.

“Defensively they’re exposed, they’ve got a lot of selfish players that don’t like to track back and that’s why we like to hit them on the counter-attack and expose them,” Keogh said on Saturday.

“We’ve proven over the three games that, I feel, we’re a better side and we can prove that again tomorrow.”

And while Valkanis accused his opponent's of predictability, Perth's coach was having none of it.

“It’s a bit funny for ‘predictable’, I think we’ve beaten them every time this season,” Kenny Lowe joked.

“I think Tim was saying they’re the underdogs this week which is quite interesting. We’ve come here to win, it’s as simple as that.

"Michael’s got a job to do and does it the way he sees fit and we’ve got a job to do for ourselves.”

As for Valkanis' claim that Glory were physical, Lowe added: “Bless them, just go and play netball.”

Keogh agreed: “Football is a physical game – we’re not a bunch of fairies. If they want to act like that and talk about the physical side of things, that’s their prerogative.

“But football has always been a physical game and you don’t win games by not being physical.”

City were the league entertainers this season, scoring 49 goals and conceding 44 in the regular home and away fixtures.

ImageResizer.ashx?n=http%3a%2f%2fi.nextmedia.com.au%2fNews%2fValkanis.jpg&c=0

Valkanis watches on during Saturday's training session at AAMI Park. Photo by Milan Krmpotic

And according to Valkanis last week's game could’ve been an “AFL score” but he defended City's decision to "do things differently to everybody else”.

“This is how we are in Australia, we’ve got to do one thing from day one and we do it to the end,” he said.

“What really frustrates me is we deem it good football when we see a team defending, structured with lines and we say ‘fantastic, well coached, they defend so well’.

“If we see a team attacking and creating many opportunities, the score last week could’ve been 12-5 in the end, and because we didn’t defend well, we criticise that.

“We have changed formations throughout the whole year from the beginning when we were playing 3-4-3 to 4-3-3 and we changed our personnel as well.

"What we wouldn’t have liked to change over the year was our defensive setup. But circumstances changed that.

“We’re not that structured team that does the same thing from day one in pre-season. We haven’t been like that from the beginning. It’s a long term project.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/selfish-players-will-be-citys-downfall---keogh-459182

It annoys him when a team is praised for being organised defensively?! We should be pleased about having no structure because we create a lot of chances but conceed even more. Holy fuck i have not heard such a load of absolute garbage like this since aloisi was in charge. I wouldn't mind so much if doing things "differently" actually worked but clearly it doesn't. What an absolute fucking moron. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

It annoys him when a team is praised for being organised defensively?! We should be pleased about having no structure because we create a lot of chances but conceed even more. Holy fuck i have not heard such a load of absolute garbage like this since aloisi was in charge. I wouldn't mind so much if doing things "differently" actually worked but clearly it doesn't. What an absolute fucking moron. 

Good chance he's being misquoted but that is definitely in moronic territory. 

How can anyone actually say it. I understand you may think it but to openly say that a well structured team that defends well is a bad thing. 

My mind has officially been blown.

5 hours ago, haz said:

"You know what really frustrates me?," Valkanis said.

"But if we see a team attacking and creating so many opportunities ... the score last week could have been 4-5 but, because we didn't defend well, we were criticised.

Defend this shit.

Pro tip: you can't. What the actual fuck.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

Defend this shit.

Pro tip: you can't. What the actual fuck.

I feel Valkanis is getting too big for his shoes, making these comments make him sound like he's delirious.

Weren't Perth up 4-1? hes so fucked in the head. Yea who cares about defending where as that ever got you.......

5 minutes ago, haz said:

I feel Valkanis is getting too big for his shoes, making these comments make him sound like he's delirious.

Weren't Perth up 4-1? hes so fucked in the head. Yea who cares about defending where as that ever got you.......

That part was misquoted, he actually said the score could have been 12-5. And I could have played for Australia but that didn't fucking happen either.

The more I read the more horrified I get. The excuses. I know journos take things out of context but I can't even imagine a context in which these quotes aren't fucked in the head.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for Valkanis, I don't think he really knows how stupid what he said really is.

At least now he has exposed the truth behind the defensive frailties under JVS and the cult-like mind control at our club.

They all have to go. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

This club is a loony bin.

• Like 3

“This is how we are in Australia, we’ve got to do one thing from day one and we do it to the end,” he said.

“We’re not that structured team that does the same thing from day one in pre-season. We haven’t been like that from the beginning. It’s a long term project.”

Those statements by Valkanis just don't make any sense whatsoever. He's clearly ill.

I like these comments from Valkanis. Never has someone at the club spoken more truth about our issues as a team. These comments touch on everything...conceding we have defensive frailties, no structure, a gung ho football philosophy etc. 

GOAT interview of our team ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Those statements by Valkanis just don't make any sense whatsoever. He's clearly ill.

My reading of the first part is him criticising Australian football media/culture, the "we" being Australians in general, where the expectation is, presumably, to defend well, remain structured, have an idea of what you're doing from game to game, win the league (ok I added the winning part). The second part is him admitting we are not that kind of team.

17 minutes ago, Silverback said:

Lads, help an old man with 5 young kids - doesn't anyone know if the footbridge behind aami park is open yet? I think it's called Morrell Bridge?

thanks 

According to City of Melbourne Twitter it's closed until early May. Click on the tile below and read the Twitter by scrolling down. There's a reminder dated today to use Hoddle Bridge if going to AAMI Park.

35 minutes ago, fidrildid6 said:

My reading of the first part is him criticising Australian football media/culture, the "we" being Australians in general, where the expectation is, presumably, to defend well, remain structured, have an idea of what you're doing from game to game, win the league (ok I added the winning part). The second part is him admitting we are not that kind of team.

Well, if that's the case, he clearly needs some media training. I don't recall a football person using "we" in any other context except the club/team that he's associated with.

On second thoughts I hope he doesn't need the training, because I hope he's not in charge next season.

Edited by jw1739

13 hours ago, playmaker said:

I feel sorry for Valkanis, I don't think he really knows how stupid what he said really is.

At least now he has exposed the truth behind the defensive frailties under JVS and the cult-like mind control at our club.

They all have to go. Wipe the slate clean and start again.

This club is a loony bin.

Well if the plan was to just score your way out of trouble then we should have prioritised recruiting an excellent number 10 to replace Mooy and provide the service to Bruno

• Like 2