Melbourne Football

(Poll) - The next Melbourne City manager?

haz

(Poll) - The next Melbourne City manager?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the next Melbourne City manager?

• Roy Hodgson
    • Michael Valkanis
    • Josep Gombau
    • Australian Coach
    • Overseas Coach
    • Other

With the season coming to an end in a few weeks and the arrival of Roy Hodgson. Who would you like to see as our next manager?

(I know there is a similar thread, but I wanted to put the question into "Poll" form)

Edited by haz

It's pretty hard to know. I think the key qualification is proven success at a senior level, someone who knows what he wants and is prepared to do what's necessary to get it. None of these buggers who take three-quarters of our 27-match season to work out how to use the squad that they've got and are always saying that "we're a work in progress" or uttering similar platitudes.

Would take Arnold or Hodgson. Doubt that Arnold will leave Sydney while he's on a roll, wouldn't take Muscat (who wouldn't come anyway) and don't know enough about Popovic to say. Can't think of another Australian good enough. So it has to be Hodgson or another overseas coach.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dylan said:

What players? Really has only been involved in Malik, Tongyik and Kamau

To be fair, as Sporting/Football Director (I think that's his role) he's probably involved in every signing we make to some degree and for the most part I think our signings have been pretty good. Just another example of the revisionism that comes to the fore on this forum whenever a season goes to shit; at the start of the campaign we've got the cattle to be the best team in the league, but at the end of it the players were shit and the recruiting was poor, it's always the same story peddled on here.

Anyway, from what I understand Petrillo is rated fairly highly internally and I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

What players? Really has only been involved in Malik, Tongyik and Kamau

They are just the Adelaide ones. He's involved in every signing. He was recently in Manchester.

FWIW each time I've seen a reference to his role it has been "talent management."

On 16/04/2017 at 9:31 PM, Tony999 said:

As long as that dweeb Valkanis is not coach!

I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements with this but, I honestly think Valkanis is doing ok considering it was just sprang upon him. He gave us our first win in January since November and he has some sort of idea about the players. I don't want him to be head coach but still in the coaching staff. ⚽️⚽️⚽️

14 hours ago, Inferno said:

I'm probably gonna get a lot of disagreements with this but, I honestly think Valkanis is doing ok considering it was just sprang upon him. He gave us our first win in January since November and he has some sort of idea about the players. I don't want him to be head coach but still in the coaching staff. ⚽️⚽️⚽️

His record in charge of City is 6-1-7. Good enough to get us into "finals" but not good enough to win a Premiership. And no team outside the top 2 has ever won the Championship, so in effect that sort of record might get us an occasional third place, that's all.

We have to do better than that.

On 4/21/2017 at 11:28 AM, jw1739 said:

His record in charge of City is 6-1-7. Good enough to get us into "finals" but not good enough to win a Premiership. And no team outside the top 2 has ever won the Championship, so in effect that sort of record might get us an occasional third place, that's all.

We have to do better than that.

yep totally agree. 

my running theory is that mikel arteta will be given the job.

CFG had to put some big offers on the table to pull him from arsenal.   and for whatever reason there was a lot of competition to get him on board into a coaching position.  i suspect that holding onto JVS may have been to give arteta enough time to serve a year under guardiola at manchester to serve an apprenticeship.

giving arteta a run as boss in a club so soon would be a big carrot to dangle and it gives CFG a chance to see how he performs before looking at a bigger long term role for him.

Edited by nah brah

1 hour ago, nah brah said:

my running theory is that mikel arteta will be given the job.

CFG had to put some big offers on the table to pull him from arsenal.   and for whatever reason there was a lot of competition to get him on board into a coaching position.  i suspect that holding onto JVS may have been to give arteta enough time to serve a year under guardiola at manchester to serve an apprenticeship.

giving arteta a run as boss in a club so soon would be a big carrot to dangle and it gives CFG a chance to see how he performs before looking at a bigger long term role for him.

I would say defiantly more then a 60% chance of this happening. Mainly due to the fact that Vieria has done similar and also due to the fact that CFG has a Spanish fetish and we have Michael Petrillo who is our Spanish speaking boss.

40 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Any different to Viera?

Viera was working with youth at Manchester yeh? I'd say he's upgraded moving to the MLS.  Arteta would go from assisting at champions league level to an A-League team. 

The size/money of the MLS compared to the A-League? Dont think this needs any explanation. 

I'm not saying it's completely impossible but it'd be a huge step down for arteta compared to Viera going to MLS given where they've both come from. I'd say there's quite a big difference between the two. 

Edit: Also considering whether he would want to leave and live in Australia, whether Pep would pull his weight on the matter and want him to stay, OR CFG prioritising Manchester if they feel Arteta is a vital cog in the management team. All aspects that are very real if we're realistically talking about Arteta coming here. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1

Just now, n i k o said:

Viera was working with youth at Manchester yeh? I'd say he's upgraded moving to the MLS.  Arteta would go from assisting at champions league level to an A-League team. 

The size/money of the MLS compared to the A-League? Dont think this needs any explanation. 

I'm not saying it's completely impossible but it'd be a huge step down for arteta compared to Viera going to MLS given where they've both come from. I'd say there's quite a big difference between the two. 

The only way I can see this happening is Arteta would only be here for a year max. Mainly just to see his man management abilities while still being within the CFG group.

1 minute ago, haz said:

The only way I can see this happening is Arteta would only be here for a year max. Mainly just to see his man management abilities while still being within the CFG group.

Firstly, would CFG risk using Melbourne as a testing ground for a coach given the current fragility supporters have with the club? 

Would CFG value longevity in a coach? Looking at the 3 year contract they have JVS I'd say our next coach will be here for more than a year. 

23 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Edit: Also considering whether he would want to leave and live in Australia, whether Pep would pull his weight on the matter and want him to stay, OR CFG prioritising Manchester if they feel Arteta is a vital cog in the management team. All aspects that are very real if we're realistically talking about Arteta coming here. 

The financials of mls arent much bigger than the A-league 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Firstly, would CFG risk using Melbourne as a testing ground for a coach given the current fragility supporters have with the club? 

Would CFG value longevity in a coach? Looking at the 3 year contract they have JVS I'd say our next coach will be here for more than a year. 

Yea that is a good point. Who knows though, they've made some strange decisions so far with this club.

Having thought about the season I can see one of our major problems coming home to roost again.  For all of the talk about the setup at Melbourne City, the facilities and the oversight of the CFG, again we've had another season where individual player development has been absolutely abysmal.  Apart from Fitzy this year and Mooy last year, can anyone think of a player who's career is blossoming under the CFG stewardship and management?  I'm really struggling.

FWIW I still think a manager/coach has a role in improving the individual as well as the collective.  Books by/about Ferguson, Guardiola, Wenger, Postecoglu, hell even Simeone  etc all talk about how do develop the best out of players and mould them to the collective.  A professional coach still has the same responsibilities as an Under 7 coach - can I make this kid in front of me a better player?  And in my mind City is becoming a graveyard for careers.  Brattan has gone markedly backwards since Brisbane, Malik is plain worse, Kamau hasn't flourished with his enormous potential and the list goes on. 

For me - send us someone who can develop the individual as well as put in a system that works to their strengths.  (We know it's the A league and players will have weaknesses.)  They don't have to be a big name, simply a proven track record of taking a mediocre squad and making it better and better and working their way up tables. Develop a culture where the individual can be improved and people gel together and we're off.    They are out there I'm sure.  If CFG, as they tell us,  can unmask players from pretty well any league in the world, I'm sure they can do the same with a manager.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Im not sure that moving to the Aleague as the main man is a downgrade. Majority of coaching staff would love to run there own show, and if you could hide away from the critics whilst trying to find your feet as a manager then why wouldnt he.

I think your second sentence has some merit. But when applying this to an assistant manager of a top premier league team that's competing to be the best club in the world IMO it loses credibility. 

3 hours ago, n i k o said:

FWIW Arteta and Cahill were best mates at Everton, and are still very close to this day.