Melbourne Football

RD 27 Perth away Sunday 16th April

Dylan

27 minutes ago, Dylan said:

For some reason I have a feeling that Woy is going to have a pretty big impact on this game given its kind of backs to the wall stuff and that's what he knows pretty much

Having watched Glory destroy Brisbane last night i think we are going to need a really big effort next week but if we can hold them we should be safe for a home final.

11 minutes ago, johnno cpfc said:

Having watched Glory destroy Brisbane last night i think we are going to need a really big effort next week but if we can hold them we should be safe for a home final.

well brisbane rested majority of key players and castro also got injured so who knows if he will play

At least we will go into the game knowing Brisbane's position.

If the Roar do get a result and we want 3rd, we simply have to match their result.

I don't think Perth will realistically try to overhaul us. KL is typically pragmatic ... I reckon they will just play a hard game and look to rough us up and maybe take out a few of our players, to weaken our finals campaign. 

I would actually go into this game playing deeper and on the counter. PG will also play defensively, and direct, so as long as we don't get opened up on the counter, we should be fine. I would also play Thomas in goal for this one. 

Ours is the final match of the regular season. IIRC there have been comments in the past that the matches in each of the last two rounds ought to be played simultaneously - I seem to remember Arnold being vocal about this - to avoid the situation that we will benefit from - knowing exactly what is required to get the outcome that we would like.

IMO Brisbane are likely to get 3 points. Wellington have just released Smeltz, probably making Brisbane's task easier. IMO we've just got to play Perth very carefully making sure we don't do anything stupid; we don't actually need to win to get a home final.

Brisbane will definitely be favoured to win; but Wellington arent without a hope given Brisbane play Kashima on Wednesday in what is a must win game if they are any chance of getting out of the group. Perhaps to Brisbane 3rd spot isnt as important as it is to us given theyve played plenty of ACL in the past as well.

IMO the result will make a big difference as to how we approach the game and there's no getting around our dreadful record in the west, but i guess the flip side to that argument is that we are well and truly due to win there, at least statistically. Perth may well be not that phased about the match either and rest a few players given that the prospect of a home final is pretty much gone and finals are the week after. Who knows, 4th is most likely, but we are definitely a chance for 3rd if the cards fall our way.

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If we cough up a four-goal loss to Perth in this match and miss out on a home final then heads need to roll in the coaching and playing groups.

I can see flashbacks to the end of last season against Perth

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

If we cough up a four-goal loss to Perth in this match and miss out on a home final then heads need to roll in the coaching and playing groups.

If this does happen Roy needs to be straight on the blower to Manchester and say that the coaching staff is a basket case. I think every other group in the organisation is doing there job, and im willing to give the players a pass until i see a diferent coaching group in place. 

• Like 1

let's put it this way, with our record over there in Perth the way it is, if we were to get a win there, it would be a massive turning point , so much so that I'd wager a lazy $500 that we would make the final and win it

I think my money is safe in my pocket

1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 2.Manny MUSCAT, 3.Josh ROSE, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Osama MALIK, 8.Neil KILKENNY, 9.Nicolas COLAZO, 10.Anthony CACERES, 11.Bruce KAMAU, 12.Nick FITZGERALD, 14.Daniel ARZANI, 17.Tim CAHILL, 18.Paulo RETRE, 20.Dean BOUZANIS (gk), 21.Ruon TONGYIK, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 26.Luke BRATTAN

Ins: 14.Daniel Arzani (promoted), 21.Ruon TONGYIK (returns from illness)

Outs: nil Unavailable: 7.Corey GAMEIRO (ACL – season), 27.Fernando BRANDAN (ACL – season), 28.Steve KUZMANOVSKI (ACL – season)

See more at: http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-return-to-full-strength-for-perth/xegtz6gyff3s1uvcddt8du6mc#sthash.KfoKvBoZ.dpuf
Read more at http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/article/team-news-city-return-to-full-strength-for-perth/xegtz6gyff3s1uvcddt8du6mc#o2EqbdBplqXm591w.99

My team would be 

Sorensen

Franjic    Ruon      Jakobsen        Rose

Kilkenny         Caceras 

Kamau           Fornaroli           Colazo

Cahill

Bouzanis  Brattan Malik Fitzy Retre   

Only unsure about Kamau. Fitzy maybe should start but both are even much of a muchness. 

Definitely drag Cahill around 60 for Brattan,  push Fornaroli and Caceras forward and play Brattan as the holder. A little later depending on who was weaker I would bring on Fitzy for Colazo or Kamau. 

I think we are going to surprise with our tactics and structure. 

Roy is going to switch us to 4 4 2. 

Bruno and Tim up front, Colazo and Fitzy out wide, when one out wide delivering crosses the other cutting into the centre making 3 central attackers.  Brattan and Killa playing a more defensive role in the middle, with Rose and Ivan storming the lines. A defensive counter attack to limit Perth's space.

It's Roy's way.

Oh and a Bruno hat trick and wins the golden boot.

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

I think we are going surprise with our tactics and structure. 

Roy is going to switch us to 4 4 2. 

Bruno and Tim up front, Colazo and Fitzy out wide, when one out wide delivering crosses the other cutting into the centre making 3 central attackers.  Brattan and Killa playing a more defensive role in the middle, with Rose and Ivan storming the lines. A defensive counter attack to limit Perth's space.

It's Roy's way.

Oh and a Bruno hat trick and wins the golden boot.

It's really really sad that it probably took you (&everybody else) about 5 seconds at the start of the season to see that this was the most logical formation for the squad we have, yet to my knowledge, we have never played it.

i really shouldn't have given up drinking 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It's really really sad that it probably took you (&everybody else) about 5 seconds at the start of the season to see that this was the most logical formation for the squad we have, yet to my knowledge, we have never played it.

i really shouldn't have given up drinking 

Fwiw imo our best formation with our current squad is 352. 

5 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Fwiw imo our best formation with our current squad is 352. 

Maybe. I just think if you have Bruno and Tim you must have 2 up front. With Cahill there you need s left footer whipping in crosses from the left and a right footer whipping in crosses from the right.

The rest is optional.

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Maybe. I just think if you have Bruno and Tim you must have 2 up front. With Cahill there you need s left footer whipping in crosses from the left and a right footer whipping in crosses from the right.

The rest is optional.

Sorensen 

Ruon      Jakobsen     Rose 

Franjic      Kilkenny   Brattan      Colazo                                Caceras 

Fornaroli       Cahill 

• Like 1

From http://www.a-league.com.au/article/asia-the-target-for-trophy-chasing-melbourne-city/1iar6pz35mr7g1cykkrkvo1eux

Melbourne City are dreaming of the AFC Champions League (ACL) ahead of Sunday's clash with Perth Glory and looking to make a couple of statements before the Hyundai A-League finals begin.

City can wrap up third spot in the A-League with a win in Western Australia in the final round of the regular season, which would put Michael Valkanis' side in pole position to claim a berth in the preliminary phase of the 2018 ACL.

For a club with lofty ambitions of dominating not only Australian but Asian football, City are desperate to make their ACL debut next year, which underlines the importance of their game against Glory.

City (39 points) are ahead of fourth-placed Brisbane Roar on goal difference, with Perth (36) in fifth.

- See more at: http://www.a-league.com.au/article/asia-the-target-for-trophy-chasing-melbourne-city/1iar6pz35mr7g1cykkrkvo1eux#sthash.ksgpxEYo.dpuf
Read more at http://www.a-league.com.au/article/asia-the-target-for-trophy-chasing-melbourne-city/1iar6pz35mr7g1cykkrkvo1eux#gtDZ2H2QMFQZYJGG.99

Well, there's that statement again about dominating Australian and Asian football, but...with all the other results in by the time we play it's going to be fascinating to see what tactics we use in Perth. If, as I expect, Brisbane beat Wellington (or even if they draw), will we go for the win and 3rd place, or will we play it safe and settle for 4th? As I see it Perth will have nothing much to lose and can afford to play an attacking game.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Well, there's that statement again about dominating Australian and Asian football, but...with all the other results in by the time we play it's going to be fascinating to see what tactics we use in Perth. If, as I expect, Brisbane beat Wellington (or even if they draw), will we go for the win and 3rd place, or will we play it safe and settle for 4th? As I see it Perth will have nothing much to lose and can afford to play an attacking game.

This is going to be a fascinating game. I think it is going to be the battle of tactics and will more than anything. With so much on the line, this game will tell us all how ready we are for the finals with a convincing win sending a warning shot to the smurfs and the tards. 

We have always had the teams to beat any team, and with Roy here, maybe our tactical weaknesses can finally be addressed and result in the success that our player list is capable of.

This game is the line in the sand I would say.

Come on City!!!

• Like 1

How can we be full strength, when a visa player is out with a ruptured ACL?

So much depends on Brisbane's game before us (i.e. if we go in with the knowledge that a draw will be 'enough' to sew up third, a potential recipe for disaster with this team) and Perth's attitude as well.

With my limited tactical nous and ignoring the Brisbane result for a moment, I'd expect Perth to go all out from the start, seeing if they can put four goals on us. That could be very dangerous, given our shaky defensive record, but it could also give us a cheap early one on the counter, the type of rope a dope goals that teams always get against us.

Assuming that open style doesn't really do much one way or another in the first half hour, Perth will probably have a preconceived idea of where they'd prefer to play in the first week of finals as the away team (at Brisbane or AAMI) and work towards that result.