Melbourne Football

Rd 26 City vs Adelaide (Video Referee) 7:50pm Friday 7th AprilAami Park

haz

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

HAL website has 9,238. Some other reports say 9,438. I've used the former, because IMO we can only go with the "official" figure. Didn't think it was that many, but Level 2 on the Eastern side was much fuller than usual.

nice of the corporates to finally turn up to a game
was the big guy in aisle 28 in the upper area and bald?

We were somewhat disjointed in the second half but a win is a win and we deserved it more than Adelaide who were terrible all game.

Have been reading in this forum about Brattan and his stop start playing and on Friday night i really saw it in action or should i say inaction.It seemed to me that when he stops with the ball at his feet he is unsure of where to pass it, so stops and has a quick look to see who is in a good position to receive but in doing so the momentum is lost and the attack breaks down.

Edited by johnno cpfc
Added script.
  • Like 2

On 08/04/2017 at 0:06 PM, mattyh001 said:

Thought it was gold too, particularly after watching the replay this morning and having the broadcast pan to the active bay for about 20 seconds while we did the Cheezels chant (around the 74th min of play during broadcast).

Commentary was gold, they had no idea what was going on.

On 08/04/2017 at 1:37 PM, SF33 said:

That's the problem though. We have underachieved, no question about it, but assuming we finish fourth and win a home final, this year we will have:

• won our first major silverware
  • equalled our best ladder position (we could even have our highest finish ever, with a decent chance - on paper at least - of finishing third)
  • had our second best home and away season (in terms of points)
  • equalled our best finals position
  • earned our second ever home final

How can you have such an incredibly disappointing season, that's simultaneously the best season the club has ever had? Welcome to the life of a Melbourne City supporter: perpetual disappointment, with just the bare minimum of positives that will keep us suckers coming back.

This is painfully true. This season is so much better on paper than in reality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

I only ever remember it being the snoop chant, only saw the cheezels come in this season or late last season

I remember it happening very sporadically in the last season as heart, then a little bit more each season at City until this year where it's pretty much become a weekly occurrence.

Seems to easily generate the most participation in the area out of any of the chants

38 minutes ago, Embee said:

I remember it happening very sporadically in the last season as heart, then a little bit more each season at City until this year where it's pretty much become a weekly occurrence.

Seems to easily generate the most participation in the area out of any of the chants

It's really rose to prominence since Santa started giving out little packets of Cheezels at the Xmas derby...

I once found one wedged in the back of my hoodie at about 1:00 in the morning and it was a welcome soggy, half crushed, but tasty discovery at that hour.

I've often wondered whether the company knows about the chant. I think they're even Australian owned.

On 4/8/2017 at 0:46 AM, SF33 said:

Honestly can't believe what I'm reading...people think the active area was good tonight??! 

The beggars that I saw walking up Swan Street on the way back from the game were less pitiful, as far as I'm concerned. Instead of "Ole, Ole" or "If you love City, stand up" on repeat for about 20 minutes straight in the second half, why beat around the bush? Just chant "Please look at us...please look at us". The dead silence that they received in response to their commands for the rest of the crowd to act as their parrots was mildly amusing, but some of us are actually focused on the game and couldn't really care less whether you're there or not. Just in case you weren't aware.

Wow i didn't realize trying to connect with the crowd was such a bad thing.Ok maybe it went for a little longer than it should have, but why not try and get everyone involved as a posed to just the active area. 

BTW i didn't realize trying to get people to chant and sing for their club is trying to use them as "parrots"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, [LIBBA] said:

Wow i didn't realize trying to connect with the crowd was such a bad thing.Ok maybe it went for a little longer than it should have, but why not try and get everyone involved as a posed to just the active area. 

BTW i didn't realize trying to get people to chant and sing for their club is trying to use them as "parrots"

I don't think the active area had any interest in "connecting". They were trying to tell the people in the other sections of the park what to do and when they were roundly ignored, they threw the toys out of the cot and started booing. 

And I think I've explained pretty clearly what the issue is with constantly trying to get the entire crowd to stand up at seemingly random moments of the game: that unless everyone shares that same vision, it results in people having their view of the game blocked.

23 minutes ago, SF33 said:

I don't think the active area had any interest in "connecting". They were trying to tell the people in the other sections of the park what to do and when they were roundly ignored, they threw the toys out of the cot and started booing. 

And I think I've explained pretty clearly what the issue is with constantly trying to get the entire crowd to stand up at seemingly random moments of the game: that unless everyone shares that same vision, it results in people having their view of the game blocked.

I think the underlying intention is to create atmosphere. The chant began with the neighbouring bays then continued into the east and wests stands. It was quite well done compared to past responses. Then it seemed the group decided to try with the north end. Seeing no response, in the heat of the moment, it became a bit of entertainment and a challenge to get the north end to stand up. The booing appeared merely to be a bit of jest, nothing more. That's how I saw it. Cant speak for the group but don't stress I doubt they'll try ever get the north end to stand up again to. So that's done and dusted. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 2

This subject must come up several times every season. Probably going to be a bit controversial here, but what's the logic behind active thinking that everyone else in the stadium wants or ought to support the team the same way they do? What have we got here - less than 5% of the crowd thinking that the other 95% isn't supporting the team in the right way?

I did the "stand up" chant a few times last season because we were winning matches; the team was scoring goals and we looked like we could actually win the Premiership, and the team was worth it. This season - no. What have we had at AAMI this season? One 4-0 win against the side now bottom of the league. Even the win against Adelaide was scratchy; if Adelaide hadn't completely cocked up on Bouzanis' error we wouldn't be looking at a home final now.

I think people should be left alone to support the team in the manner that they see fit. I have no problem with active singing and chanting all through the match if they wish to - in fact to a very large extent I enjoy their work. But I don't see any obligation for others to join them if they don't wish to.

TBH I reckon sometimes the team has had more support than it deserves. A few bouts of the slow-handclap wouldn't have gone astray this season.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think the underlying intention is to create atmosphere. The chant began with the neighbouring bays then continued into the east and wests stands. It was quite well done compared to past responses. Then it seemed the group decided to try with the north end. Seeing no response, in the heat of the moment, it became a bit of entertainment and a challenge to get the north end to stand up. The booing appeared merely to be a bit of jest, nothing more. That's how I saw it. Cant speak for the group but don't stress I doubt they'll try ever get the north end to stand up again to. So that's done and dusted. 

Have to say that this is largely the way I saw it.  I come from a British football culture, where the approach is more communal, and doesn't draw so much of a line between active and non-active.  You sing to support your team, often even more so when they're crap (because 'you only sing when you're winning' is a serious charge).  Most of the singing will come from a particular part of the home end of the ground, albeit not organised as here, but other parts of the ground will join in at times.  Call and response between different parts of the ground is all part of the fun, and builds atmosphere.  Those who want to treat a football ground like a theatre should go to Manchester United and enjoy their prawn sandwiches.

50 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This subject must come up several times every season. Probably going to be a bit controversial here, but what's the logic behind active thinking that everyone else in the stadium wants or ought to support the team the same way they do? What have we got here - less than 5% of the crowd thinking that the other 95% isn't supporting the team in the right way?

I did the "stand up" chant a few times last season because we were winning matches; the team was scoring goals and we looked like we could actually win the Premiership, and the team was worth it. This season - no. What have we had at AAMI this season? One 4-0 win against the side now bottom of the league. Even the win against Adelaide was scratchy; if Adelaide hadn't completely cocked up on Bouzanis' error we wouldn't be looking at a home final now.

I think people should be left alone to support the team in the manner that they see fit. I have no problem with active singing and chanting all through the match if they wish to - in fact to a very large extent I enjoy their work. But I don't see any obligation for others to join them if they don't wish to.

TBH I reckon sometimes the team has had more support than it deserves. A few bouts of the slow-handclap wouldn't have gone astray this season.

Don't know about you, but I come from a culture where it's normal for the entire stadium to be active. That's the fabric of football matches for me and obviously many in the designated active area.

• Like 1

The thing that stops the whole stadium getting involved is the fact that most ALeague fans come from an Aussie Rules or NRL culture where you sit down, shut up and clap politely when your team scores. I would absolutely love to see the whole crowd joining in on every song and getting the atmosphere pumping, but unfortunately that is not realistic. Constantly barading supporters in other parts of the ground (although unintentional) just irks people and encourages them to participate less. The way to get the whole crowd involved is to pick your moments. "If you love City stand up" works amazingly when we've just taken the lead or we're pushing hard for a goal, not 4 times in ten minutes midway through the second half of a snoozefest.

For the whole crowd to be involved there needs to be a cultural shift amongst ALeague fans, and that isn't going to happen overnight. If you want it to happen, encourage easy to remember, fun to sing, simple songs on occasion. Bombarding people with requests to stand and chant constantly will not achieve anything.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

The thing that stops the whole stadium getting involved is the fact that most ALeague fans come from an Aussie Rules or NRL culture where you sit down, shut up and clap politely when your team scores. I would absolutely love to see the whole crowd joining in on every song and getting the atmosphere pumping, but unfortunately that is not realistic. Constantly barading supporters in other parts of the ground (although unintentional) just irks people and encourages them to participate less. The way to get the whole crowd involved is to pick your moments. "If you love City stand up" works amazingly when we've just taken the lead or we're pushing hard for a goal, not 4 times in ten minutes midway through the second half of a snoozefest.

For the whole crowd to be involved there needs to be a cultural shift amongst ALeague fans, and that isn't going to happen overnight. If you want it to happen, encourage easy to remember, fun to sing, simple songs on occasion. Bombarding people with requests to stand and chant constantly will not achieve anything.

The way I remember it, the "stand up" chant got a run at least twice when Adelaide was in a semi-threatening position (which, of course, was a rarity in the game) and at least once where the ball went over the crossbar. Now there's something to be said for trying to start an all-crowd chant during a lull in the game, but during a period where the opposition creates a shot on goal, is not the appropriate time, in my opinion.

As jw1739 has mentioned, no-one outside of the active should have any obligation to stand up. And they certainly shouldn't be forced into standing during a boring period of the game, because it's the only way that they'll be able to see the action. There is plenty of room at the southern end of the ground for people that choose to stand for the entire game. If it was up to me, the "stand up" chant would only be brought out when the win had already been sealed.

That's not to say that there aren't alternatives to get the other sections involved. The "ole ole (pointing and repeating in different sections)" thing is harmless enough. I think that's just a case of taking the feedback on board and not persisting with it when the other sections clearly have no interest in joining in...that's when it rapidly degenerates into simply looking like attention seeking, at least from the outside. 

I think the "We are Melbourne...we are City" chant at the right time could get the whole crowd involved. It's simple, everyone knows it and even if you were attending your first game, you'd pick it up in about 30 seconds and you could keep it up for 5-10 minutes, easily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The main thing that stops more of our stadium being involved is the shit football often played by our team, it becomes soul crushing and squeezes all the enthusiasm out of most supporters like a pack of Dementors

Believe me, I've seen some soul crushing, shit football in the UK (try watching a mediocre League 1 team for thirty years...) but it didn't appear to dampen the enthusiasm of our supporters.  There is too much of a 'sing when we're winning' culture here.  Accept that soccer is largely like life, a veil of tears, mostly very dull, and it makes a lot more sense....

The culture here is not about the actives and chanting for the whole game. Our culture is based around AFL where you cheer at the players and the game play not follow the cheer squad.

That's why it is different to other countries where football is the dominant code and football culture is learned from a very young age.

Given this I think the actives do a great job.

35 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Accept that soccer is largely like life, a veil of tears, mostly very dull, and it makes a lot more sense....

To quote the great Samuel Shem in 'House of God': "Life is like a penis, when its soft you can't beat it, when its hard you get screwed".

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The culture here is not about the actives and chanting for the whole game. Our culture is based around AFL where you cheer at the UMPIRE WHEN YOU GET A FREE KICK AND BOO-URNS THE UMPIRE WHEN YOU DON'T OR THE OTHER SIDE GETS ONE. 

Shit me if you dont want to stand and chant then dont!

Its a request and not a demand. 

@SF33 in some ways you're probably right in regards to when and if you want to chant and imo, i think focusing on, making the active area consistent is more a priority then maybe getting the rest of the stadium going. TBH though, the continuation of trying to get the north end to chant was a bit of tongue and cheek and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We need to really promote the active a lot better. I have spoken to a few people who didn't even know that if you get an active area membership, that you can still sit in active from time to time if you need too. those same people copped shit from people telling them to sit down when they tried to get into the chants.

I think we just to focus on getting the south end right  and if we do that, we are already ahead of most teams in this comp.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Fair call tbh about the stand up if you love city chant. It was employed successfully last year by the capo's (me & Alex) in the last 5 minutes of the game if we were winning. Then the terrace would start it at random moments. Now it is just a bit out of control IMO.

I agree mate.

Was thinking to possibly do it either at the end of each half to make it more of a "push on lads" type of chant.

Same for Come on City. Needs to be used either when the team is really pushing on to score and at corners.

I thought active were great-can't wait to join it next year. But I didn't like watching the terrace try and get the rest of the crowd going. I think that the booing was just a bit of mock anger at GA's silence, but I never thought that it was a good idea.

I respect the support that the active area gives whether we're playing well or not. But bringing out the 'stand up' chant when the team is notplaying well...it simply doesn't work. You get a scattered handful of people standing up, thereby blockingeveryone's view behind them. If people wanted to stand all game, they'd be over there with you guys. If an AFL cheer squad tried to start that around the ground during a game, someone would end up copping a punch in the face!

My advice would be to use that one sparingly and only when you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good response. Or if you want to persist with doing at seemingly random stages of the game, try it once and if it doesn't work, shelve it. I reckon it's a great chant to use when the team is on form, but not when we are playing badly. Just my two cents (not that you blokes will probably give a stuff what I think, but that's fine, I don't blame you!)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

I thought active were great-can't wait to join it next year. But I didn't like watching the terrace try and get the rest of the crowd going. I think that the booing was just a bit of mock anger at GA's silence, but I never thought that it was a good idea.

I respect the support that the active area gives whether we're playing well or not. But bringing out the 'stand up' chant when the team is notplaying well...it simply doesn't work. You get a scattered handful of people standing up, thereby blockingeveryone's view behind them. If people wanted to stand all game, they'd be over there with you guys. If an AFL cheer squad tried to start that around the ground during a game, someone would end up copping a punch in the face!

My advice would be to use that one sparingly and only when you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good response. Or if you want to persist with doing at seemingly random stages of the game, try it once and if it doesn't work, shelve it. I reckon it's a great chant to use when the team is on form, but not when we are playing badly. Just my two cents (not that you blokes will probably give a stuff what I think, but that's fine, I don't blame you!)

Mate i'm taking every opinion on board. Seems that the general consensus is that it was used a little too often, but at the same time you had Tony who hasn't been up there for a bit, myself who has never done up until that point and and young bloke who was in the same boat as myself so nerves kick in and that at some points can leave your mind blank to what chant to use.

Its like riding a bike for the first time. You try it and fall on your ass for the first time, but by the end you're doing wheelies and riding the bike with no hands.

• Like 1

Just now, [LIBBA] said:

Mate i'm taking every opinion on board. Seems that the general consensus is that it was used a little too often, but at the same time you had Tony who hasn't been up there for a bit, myself who has never done up until that point and and young bloke who was in the same boat as myself so nerves kick in and that at some points can leave your mind blank to what chant to use.

Its like riding a bike for the first time. You try it and fall on your ass for the first time, but by the end you're doing wheelies and riding the bike with no hands.

Yeah that's true, and for most of the night I reckon you did great. I reckon the terrace was as loud as it's been all year, so cheers for that. But make sure you remember the feedback that you are given!!

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

Yeah that's true, and for most of the night I reckon you did great. I reckon the terrace was as loud as it's been all year, so cheers for that. But make sure you remember the feedback that you are given!!

Trust me, i need all the help i can get.

As I've been told by a very wise man, dont go into this gig expecting anything out of it yourself as all you'll get is the exact opposite. Got up there cause i love the club and anyone who knows me personally will tell you the same.I think we need to be helping these guy on the field, off it and lets hope that when i get the opportunity to get up there again, i can help do just that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Trust me, i need all the help i can get.

As I've been told by a very wise man, dont go into this gig expecting anything out of it yourself as all you'll get is the exact opposite. Got up there cause i love the club and anyone who knows me personally will tell you the same.I think we need to be helping these guy on the field, off it and lets hope that when i get the opportunity to get up there again, i can help do just that.

Will you do it even if we get a home final? Or will the old leadership do it one last time?