Melbourne Football

Rd 26 City vs Adelaide (Video Referee) 7:50pm Friday 7th AprilAami Park

haz

11 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I dunno about you but last time I checked a lot of players lose in the first round in tournaments like boroondara Easter classic. Once lost they get put into the consolation and then in the consolation they even lose. I don't know how good you are but give me a link to your latest tournment results. 

Who are you? I have never played the Boorandara Easter Classic. Can we get back onto the game talk please? (Or just leave this thread to die?)

Edited by Hellenic Hero

11 minutes ago, Hellenic Hero said:

Who are you? I have never played the Boorandara Easter Classic. Can we get back onto the game talk please? (Or just leave this thread to die?)

Mate I know who you are! You lost in the consolation to love I heard. 

9 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I don't expect you to! I run the boroondara tournments. The name Gaff mean anything to you?

Unless your the person you named, which is highly unlikely, or the other person that's runs the tournaments, which is even more unlikely then your talking rubbish cause both of them wouldn't be on here. 

Just now, Hellenic Hero said:

Aha that's ok mate, I was wondering who the hell you were! I was really confused 

Used to play tennis my self when I was in high school. Some prick at boroondara called Paul gaff used to stuff over the whole tournament. Come to think of it was only a few years back when I retired in high school!

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Unless your the person you named, which is highly unlikely, or the other person that's runs the tournaments, which is even more unlikely then your talking rubbish cause both of them wouldn't be on here. 

I'm not mate I used to play quite a bit and know gaffy

2 minutes ago, Inferno said:

Used to play tennis my self when I was in high school. Some prick at boroondara called Paul gaff used to stuff over the whole tournament. Come to think of it was only a few years back when I retired in high school!

I'm not mate I used to play quite a bit and know gaffy

Well you said you ran the tournaments so that's why I called the bullshit. And then dropped the name. 

19 hours ago, [LIBBA] said:

Shit me if you dont want to stand and chant then dont!

Its a request and not a demand. 

@SF33 in some ways you're probably right in regards to when and if you want to chant and imo, i think focusing on, making the active area consistent is more a priority then maybe getting the rest of the stadium going. TBH though, the continuation of trying to get the north end to chant was a bit of tongue and cheek and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We need to really promote the active a lot better. I have spoken to a few people who didn't even know that if you get an active area membership, that you can still sit in active from time to time if you need too. those same people copped shit from people telling them to sit down when they tried to get into the chants.

I think we just to focus on getting the south end right  and if we do that, we are already ahead of most teams in this comp.

@[LIBBA]

I appreciate the constructive response and the work that you do. I guess, on reflection, the problem from my perspective was really just the overuse of the "stand up" chant. If that hadn't been used, I don't think that the attempt to get other areas to do some back and forth would have irritated me at all, but coming right off the back of it, it seemed like it was out of control.

From an outsider's perspective, I read a fair bit about "cheezels" on here, but I can legitimately say that I've never noticed it when I've been at a game. From reading this thread, I get the impression that it's when the active area does the chant to the tune of Drop it Like it's Hot and people throw scarves and stuff in the air, cheezels are going up as well?

I think the other thing to consider, which other posters have mainly brought up is that it should be the culture that people come along and stand up all game/every game. I think that's way easier said than done, when we're usually fluctuating between a quarter/third full stadium. I'm in my mid-30s and in my area, I reckon practically all the regulars are roughly my age, older than me, or young kids that have come with their parents (i.e. kids who are nowhere near old enough to get to a game by themselves). So doing things like that become a pretty ruthless business decision to me: will it get us more supporters? Will it alienate existing supporters? What will it do for our attendances? My guesses would be "perhaps", "perhaps" and "not much". So, it doesn't seem to be worth the risk.

In terms of promotion, I'm not sure what Melburnians have tried in the past, but perhaps the official City Facebook page could provide a post, directing supporters to your page, to learn the chants, special tributes that have been organised etc.? Depends what relationship you have with them, I suppose. I don't actively seek out news about the active area, what you have planned and new chants, so I often don't really have a clue what's going on, which is of course, mainly my own problem. But, I'm sure that there's many like me, who if they were having a look at Facebook and saw that City was encouraging supporters to check out Melburnians page and follow it, that you'd get heaps of new followers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SF33 said:

@[LIBBA]

In terms of promotion, I'm not sure what Melburnians have tried in the past, but perhaps the official City Facebook page could provide a post, directing supporters to your page, to learn the chants, special tributes that have been organised etc.? Depends what relationship you have with them, I suppose. I don't actively seek out news about the active area, what you have planned and new chants, so I often don't really have a clue what's going on, which is of course, mainly my own problem. But, I'm sure that there's many like me, who if they were having a look at Facebook and saw that City was encouraging supporters to check out Melburnians page and follow it, that you'd get heaps of new followers.

You raise a very good point. We know that at the present time club web-sites have to fit a template drawn up by FFA, and that City is one club that has been agitating to gain independence, but I'm not sure how much independence the clubs can have over their other social media activities at the present time.

Of course it might just be me, but I don't recall any "official" references to Yarraside or Melburnians from anyone at the club, although Munn might have mentioned the former in the Heart days when he was the main spokesman. I've seen a small number of references in on-line media articles. There are probably quite a few City members who wouldn't know that Melburnians actually exits as an "entity."

Overall, IMO this discussion highlights plenty of questions that can be asked about how the club links with its members and supporters.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You raise a very good point. We know that at the present time club web-sites have to fit a template drawn up by FFA, and that City is one club that has been agitating to gain independence, but I'm not sure how much independence the clubs can have over their other social media activities at the present time.

Of course it might just be me, but I don't recall any "official" references to Yarraside or Melburnians from anyone at the club, although Munn might have mentioned the former in the Heart days when he was the main spokesman. I've seen a small number of references in on-line media articles. There are probably quite a few City members who wouldn't know that Melburnians actually exits as an "entity."

Overall, IMO this discussion highlights plenty of questions that can be asked about how the club links with its members and supporters.

They've shared a few Tifo's but otherwise they don't offer a whole lot.