Melbourne Football

Rd 26 City vs Adelaide (Video Referee) 7:50pm Friday 7th AprilAami Park

haz

I acknowledge this game isn't until next round, but the match is quiet significant given it will be the first time video technology will be used in the league (possibly first time in a competitive league?).

Knowing A-League referees since this will be the first game in the round using this, I would guarantee there will be at least one call that is sent to the video ref.

The international friendly between France and Spain last night saw the video ref disallow a given goal and also allow an initial disallowed goal. Here is the link to the game highlights to show how they used it (the highlights don't show the full extent of the video ref delay)

Guaranteed minimum 2 reds and 4 pens.

Does anyone remember that cup game at AAMI against Phoenix I think 2 seasons ago. 

As I remember it, it was the first time the extra officials were used. Those guys on the bye lines with what looked like some sort of wand or prodder. And if I'm right 4 pens that game. 2 each.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Guaranteed minimum 2 reds and 4 pens.

Does anyone remember that cup game at AAMI against Phoenix I think 2 seasons ago. 

As I remember it, it was the first time the extra officials were used. Those guys on the bye lines with what looked like some sort of wand or prodder. And if I'm right 4 pens that game. 2 each.

Like I mentioned in the initial post, since this will be the first time they use it I guarantee whoever the referee is (particularly Beath) will want his face on the screen and in the newspaper the next day as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, haz said:

I acknowledge this game isn't until next round, but the match is quiet significant given it will be the first time video technology will be used in the league (possibly first time in a competitive league?).

Knowing A-League referees since this will be the first game in the round using this, I would guarantee there will be at least one call that is sent to the video ref.

The international friendly between France and Spain last night saw the video ref disallow a given goal and also allow an initial disallowed goal. Here is the link to the game highlights to show how they used it (the highlights don't show the full extent of the video ref delay)

the delays seemed quite minimal to be fair. Much better than I had first feared.

19 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the integrity of the league damaged by introducing this through an already running season? 

Yes I agree. Should have either been next season or finals only this season

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the integrity of the league damaged by introducing this through an already running season? 

Hasn't worried them before. (Removed the Australian Marquee)They basically changed the Marquee rules a fews weeks before the season started way after most clubs had signed up their squad. 

Integrity and FFA are rarely used in the same sentence. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baka1 said:

Goal line tech is the only thing technology should be used for in football

Have to respectfully disagree. 

Getting the right decision made is the most important aspect of the game,  how many times this year have we seen a game decided or even influenced greatly by a clearly incorrect decision? 

Sit and wait 5 minutes for the video review  and stop being sooks

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Getting the right decision made is the most important aspect of the game,  how many times this year have we seen a game decided or even influenced greatly by a clearly incorrect decision? 

This belongs in Unpopular Opinions thread 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

We will get fucked over but also fuck over other teams

• Like 1

there is value in using video replay to correct poor decisions, but it has to be quick and cant undermine the role of the refs.

anything that makes the refs wanting to wait for the video is going to be shit. this isnt cricket, baseball or american football where there are natural breaks in the game on a ball by ball / play by play basis.  football gets its spectacle from largely end to end play - something where time wasted on replays kills the build up of the general play.

on a side note but something that definitely ties in: for years and years the game has lived and died by the concept that the ref's decision regarding yellow and red cards is final (barring a major fuck up by the refs - ie yellow / red carding the wrong player).  at no stage has the game ever looked to change it, even with the more modern use of match review panels and video footage.  so if this helps the process then great, but there is greater reform around refs being the interpreters of the game's laws and rules during a match only that has to take place to make this useful IMO

And I will respectfully disagree with you.  The one rugby league match I saw live was ruined by video reffing. At every score the crowd celebrated then stopped, waiting for the video judgement.  It destroys any spontaneity. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

5 minutes are you serious ?, a flowing game is the most important thing in football. Hate to see us go down the afl/nrl path 

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

there is value in using video replay to correct poor decisions, but it has to be quick and cant undermine the role of the refs.

anything that makes the refs wanting to wait for the video is going to be shit. this isnt cricket, baseball or american football where there are natural breaks in the game on a ball by ball / play by play basis.  football gets its spectacle from largely end to end play - something where time wasted on replays kills the build up of the general play.

on a side note but something that definitely ties in: for years and years the game has lived and died by the concept that the ref's decision regarding yellow and red cards is final (barring a major fuck up by the refs - ie yellow / red carding the wrong player).  at no stage has the game ever looked to change it, even with the more modern use of match review panels and video footage.  so if this helps the process then great, but there is greater reform around refs being the interpreters of the game's laws and rules during a match only that has to take place to make this useful IMO

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

And I will respectfully disagree with you.  The one rugby league match I saw live was ruined by video reffing. At every score the crowd celebrated then stopped, waiting for the video judgement.  It destroys any spontaneity. 

4 hours ago, haz said:

We will get fucked over but also fuck over other teams

I think people are going a bit over the top when thinking about the concept of having video reviews.

I can understand that football is very free flowing, and i'm not saying to have video reviews for every little thing that happens in the game, what i would suggest would be a more tennis/cricket style of video review. Give each team 2 chances to review a decision of their choosing and see how that goes. IMO the AFL do poorly in not having a limit of reviewed decisions in a match, and this makes there games take forever. A limit of two reviewed decisions on each team or something like that would be a good trial to implement imo. 

At the end of the day it's about the game making the headlines, not the referees. How many games this year has the headline been about how the referee has fucked up and given a certain team an advantage to win the game? Its just all too common unfortunately, and the obvious fix to that problem would be to have better referees, but since even the best referees make mistakes, why not bring in video refereeing to fix this problem? Its a cop out to just say referee mistakes 'are part of the game' when we now have the technology to go back and review decisions. Why not use it? It is just so puzzling to me that some (not all) people would rather a bad referee decision decide a game instead of waiting for a video review of a decision. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dylan said:

People will still whinge about referees even after it has been reviewed. This is going to be a disaster.

go look at rugby league if you want to see how bad this is going to get

There will be 2 hands fighting over a bucket of KFC, the picture will start spinning and then we will have a decision. Is KFC your problem? Nothing but the finest Kentucky Fried Chicken cooked there my friend.

2 hours ago, rass said:

Personally i don't like the idea of it, but you're right, all you can do is trial it to see if it can actually work.

The video ref should never be wrong. The problem for me is the waiting time and how much they use it.

I believe it should be used only when a goal has been scored, this way the game has already stopped and the decision made will actually effect the match. The decision should be the same duration as when the ref has to talk to his linesman (which we've seen few times this season), and there shouldn't be any promotional bullshit, just the 4th official talking into the ear of the center ref who will give the final decision.

The only other time I would be fine with the video ref being used is if someone elbows/punches another player behind play.

48 minutes ago, haz said:

The video ref should never be wrong. The problem for me is the waiting time and how much they use it.

How often do you see the replay of an incident and people are split as to whether its a foul, card or pen though? Happens all the time. Video technology might get rid of howlers, but it will drag the game out and people will be even more outraged when a 50-50 doesnt go their way ie it was a pen last week, why isnt it this week etc. Not all cunts are rational enough to appreciate grey.

Won't work

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

How often do you see the replay of an incident and people are split as to whether its a foul, card or pen though? Happens all the time. Video technology might get rid of howlers, but it will drag the game out and people will be even more outraged when a 50-50 doesnt go their way ie it was a pen last week, why isnt it this week etc. Not all cunts are rational enough to appreciate grey.

Won't work

Exactly this. What would the video have said about Muscats OG in the derby?

29 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

Exactly this. What would the video have said about Muscats OG in the derby?

Perfect example : Brattan's goal in the Cup Semi v Victory.

Ref called that Cahill wasnt interfering, and the ref was directly behind the strike of the ball. The camera angle provided indicated interference, but Fox wouldnt have been able to provide any definitive evidence to overule the ref's call as they didnt have a camera directly behind the ball.

Most likely it was interference by Cahill, but it wasnt absolutely definitive. Do you overturn the ref's call on likelihood, or only on certainty?

Muscat's is another one because its an interpretation of the rules as to whether Berisha is interfering or not. In my opinion he was, but i can certainly appreciate the argument that he wasnt too.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, neio said:

It won't work,  cause how far back do you go when a goal is scores.  Eg Castro goal against us in the 3 all draw,  the throw in that got them the ball should have been ours,  do we go review that 

In rugby league it often seems it's something way back in the sequence of play that gets a try chalked off, so there is a chance we could have arguments about something that happened halfway up the field.  Every goal will end up contested back to the last stoppage, and every dubious tackle and contact subject to arse numbing scrutiny.  Will be horrible.

2 minutes ago, Dylan said:

That would be fucken right. Adelaide find some form just as we are about to play them

I see it the other way; they've had their couple of wins and a run now so the pressure is off them to get a result against us.

They do look a much better side for the inclusion of Diawara though