Melbourne Football

The mighty city vs Sydney fc. Saturday 1st April. 7.50ko

kingofhearts

11 hours ago, moops said:

Brattan had a good 15 mins, after that he has gone missing, Genreau was more involved than him

Genreau had a shocker. Maybe nerves? Big game to be thrown into. Hopefully with more game time he will only improve

17 minutes ago, Tomi said:

Wish City would bring Arnold in as a coach. 

I'm at the point now that I would rather win then play "beautiful football". Honestly just for the team to park the bus every game then win with our only shot on goal 1-0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, haz said:

I'm at the point now that I would rather win then play "beautiful football". Honestly just for the team to park the bus every game then win with our only shot on goal 1-0.

We're not even playing beautiful football.   We're just playing badly and getting stuffed.

It's really hard to fall in love with a club, and support them through thick and thin, when season after season turns out to be absolutely awful like this. (I'm aware we are still 4th)

I made sure the club don't auto renew my membership for next season, I'm on the fence about giving a shit about the club at all at the moment.

Do I look forward to another squad turnover and new coach for next season? Only to go through the same shit?

I can't say I have enjoyed much at all this year after Perth beat us early at home.

The cup final was nice, but what happened since?

20 minutes ago, Dylan said:

TTIM: People who bitch and whinge about 'modern football' then go ahead and treat their support of a club as a commodity

I've read the words "I'm out" so many times on this forum they've lost all meaning to me.

You know what pisses me off the most, is that after we conceded we just fell to pieces all over the pitch. It would have been nice to go down fighting. It seems as though we just lose the plot which isn't a good sign coming into the pointy end of the season.

35 minutes ago, Dylan said:

TTIM: People who bitch and whinge about 'modern football' then go ahead and treat their support of a club as a commodity

Supporters have been like this since the beginning of time, no different to today's game. The thing that has always pisses off supporters is under-performing and lack of action to address re-occurring problems.

But after the dust settles, the supporters are always there even though players and management have grabbed their money and run.

Not that we didn't hope for a surprise result, but surely no one here on this forum expected us to win.

Without a quality centreback in the team, and with all the issues we know exist, we're likely not to win another game this season (i'd rate the Adelaide game as 50/50).  I have often pondered how our season would have been different if we'd only held onto to Wilko.

Anyway, all our deficiencies were brilliantly exposed and held up for all to see by an efficient / professional Sydney, who in truth were just as horrible to watch as us.

In terms of our squad balance, recruitment, selections, leadership and tactics this season, heads need to role.  

And heads need to role because this has been a wasted season (FFA cup aside) where we should have been legitimately vying to win everything.

• Like 4

In terms of our squad balance, recruitment, selections, leadership and tactics this season, heads need to role.  

Quick question, what would you have done about any of these problems after our FFA cup win? So far at that point in the season, squad balance, recruitment, selections and leadership were actually looking very good. What solutions could you provide halfway thru a season?

I would argue that all the issues referenced were evident after round 2, following on from when Perth worked out how to beat us.  Also, even before round 2, there were grave concerns expressed on this forum that our squad balance was out.  It was good to with the FFA cup, but I doubt we would have won if the game was in Sydney.

To answer your question, I would have sacked the coaching staff and brought in a world class manager (with support) who was mandated to coach based on the strengths and weaknesses of the squad.  I would have used the January transfer window to re-balance the squad.  Also, Timmy and Bruno would rarely be seen on the pitch at the same time, say unless we were chasing a game down and there was only 5 minutes to go ... 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Not that we didn't hope for a surprise result, but surely no one here on this forum expected us to win.

Without a quality centreback in the team, and with all the issues we know exist, we're likely not to win another game this season (i'd rate the Adelaide game as 50/50).  I have often pondered how our season would have been different if we'd only held onto to Wilko.

Anyway, all our deficiencies were brilliantly exposed and held up for all to see by an efficient / professional Sydney, who in truth were just as horrible to watch as us.

And heads need to role because this has been a wasted season (FFA cup aside) where we should have been legitimately vying to win everything.

Well said.

It would have been nice just to take something away from the loss. Even to weather the Sydney storm after the first goal with a change in tactics or structure just to see if we could stem the onslaught and maybe get a goal on the counter if they pressed too far, or even keep it to 1. It was clear that Arnold tweeked things in the second half and again we did nothing. So the loss was empty with nothing to analyse because nothing was tried. 

It's just crazy stuff and in all my years of following this game, from a lack of game day management view point, I have seen nothing like it, ever.

4 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

Quick question, what would you have done about any of these problems after our FFA cup win? So far at that point in the season, squad balance, recruitment, selections and leadership were actually looking very good. What solutions could you provide halfway thru a season?

Simple, try something different, have a plan B and C, most managers have back up tactics and know exactly when to implement them. How can you possibly expect to win with one tactic and structure when the opposition can just pick off its weaknesses?

Unless you are a Barca you can't, and the fact that we have been exploited the same way for the whole season confirms the delusion of the management staff.

Quite sad TBH.

It all comes back to the coach unfortunately.

How good did people think a caretaker coach was going to be? You can't even really blame valkanas for what has happened, he didn't want to be put in this position. CFG are the ones at fault here first, by putting an incompetent coach at the head in the first place and secondly, for having no replacement for him when JVS left during the season.

9 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

It all comes back to the coach unfortunately.

How good did people think a caretaker coach was going to be? You can't even really blame valkanas for what has happened, he didn't want to be put in this position. CFG are the ones at fault here first, by putting an incompetent coach at the head in the first place and secondly, for having no replacement for him when JVS left during the season.

While I totally agree with you, I don't understand how Valkanis didn't learn anything under Gombau and Amor, and just kept the JVS way. Surely he wasn't restricted to a point where he couldn't have any freedom to implement anything he had been taught.

Some perspective from a Sydney fan

City played a smart tactical game against us, at times they were playing a 3-1-7 keeping pressure on us to stop us playing out, Franjic stayed so far us Ninko was basically playing LB to stop him. In the end they couldnt keep it up for the entire match and we ended up breaking through.

Its an excellent example of exposing our weaknesses though, keep your wingers high to get in behind our full backs, push your full backs up to keep ninko and Holosko penned back. Make us play long balls out, and have a decent keeper to assist in playing out of the back.

As much as Bozanus is not the best shot stopper, his ability to play almost as a CB when in possession effectively stops our press, that extra player meant Brosque and Bobo were just chasing the wind for large parts of the game. In the second half they sat further back to prevent passes into the midfield which was a better change for us. But i can see the Bozanus style keeper being the norm in a few years

Edited by jeffplz

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

... yet we lost 3 nil.  Ouch

The problem was that we were disorganised defensively for Zullo's throw in, he would have scored a goal from the throw anyway if Brosque hadn't deflected it. We then had no Plan B and kept trying Plan 1a, that was plan A but push up higher, if we want to be a possession based team then you regain control of the game by regaining and keeping possession especially against a gegenpresse team like the smurfs. You can see the effect of this poor movement off the ball by the number of times we had a midfielder dispossessed because he kept the ball too long as there were no passing options or the number of times the ball was crossed to nobody and was cut off by the first defender

Our other problem was at the other end where we created no space for Bruno with poor movement off the ball from the other forwards and no real number 10, Caceras would have done better than Colazo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffplz said:

No it wasn't.  We were still marginal in defence.  Since which time we've lost Chapman to Korea, Jakobsen to injury and our supposed marquee left back to poor form.  The only plus has been the discovery of Tongyik.  We were always foolish to rely on Malik as a central defender.  Brattan was also in form at that point, so we had something akin to a functioning midfield.

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

If you look at goals conceded for the season we are pretty average. The big difference between this and last season is our much lower scoring efficiency. We quite rightly complain about our defence but it's our forwards that have really not performed

Our defence was pretty porous last season. It was just bailed out by about the best attack in A-league history...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, playmaker said:

While I totally agree with you, I don't understand how Valkanis didn't learn anything under Gombau and Amor, and just kept the JVS way. Surely he wasn't restricted to a point where he couldn't have any freedom to implement anything he had been taught.

True, but being a head coach from an assistant coach is such a step up. Take into account he didn't have the chance to spend the off-season with the team, getting the team use to this tactics and so forth. He was thruted into the roll half way into the season when lets be honest, the team was going down. He was essentially handed the keys to the titanic after it hit the ice berg.

Now that does not excuse him of all blame however, i don't know what people expect from an interim coach with no head coaching experience to take as anywhere. We would like to think he would have freedom to implement some of the things he has been taught but remember, CFG have a very strict way they want their teams to be playing, so i would imagine he would just be doing what he is being told rather then doing what he wants.

No need to worry however, 3 more games and we can start again

2 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Now that does not excuse him of all blame however, i don't know what people expect from an interim coach with no head coaching experience to take as anywhere. 

What I expected was just basic logical thinking and in paticular team selection. 

Now barring undisclosed injuries some of his selections have been baffling. 

I was very optimistic about how Valkanis would go but from what he has done so far it's a fail. And I think his future aspirations of becoming a successful head coach will be pretty much zero.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Our defence was pretty porous last season. It was just bailed out by about the best attack in A-league history...

Our defence was terrible last season, this year it has improved to average. Our attack has become much worse, most games we've struggled to score more than 2 goals

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

The problem was that we were disorganised defensively for Zullo's throw in, he would have scored a goal from the throw anyway if Brosque hadn't deflected it. We then had no Plan B and kept trying Plan 1a, that was plan A but push up higher, if we want to be a possession based team then you regain control of the game by regaining and keeping possession especially against a gegenpresse team like the smurfs. You can see the effect of this poor movement off the ball by the number of times we had a midfielder dispossessed because he kept the ball too long as there were no passing options or the number of times the ball was crossed to nobody and was cut off by the first defender

Our other problem was at the other end where we created no space for Bruno with poor movement off the ball from the other forwards and no real number 10, Caceras would have done better than Colazo

Slipping since you died @belaguttman? Can't score direct from a throw in.

Anyway that was best described as a "school boy goal". Complete disgrace.

To me we were great in the first half, definitely the better side. Just needed to keep it tight in the 2nd and look for a set piece (not much else getting past that defence), instead well we got handed our heads.

Not sure what exactly happened but it seemed we got swamped in midfield. Need the gaffer to react, probably sub Cahill & Genreau at about 60, but alas we just went to "deer in the spotlights" on the bench.

Who can we blame for players being unable to shoot the ball into the goal? I'd love to see a stat of how many shots we've had on target throughout the season cause I reckon if even 50% of those went in, we'd be in a much much better situation